1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How to cook filet mignon?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by alex09xu, Mar 22, 2010.

1. alex09xu

alex09xu Member

So I just received a couple boxes of Omaha steak filet mignon and was wondering how to cook it? (I don't have a grill)

2. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

3. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I'm no expert but I would season it (probably just salt/pepper although I've been known to use Montreal Steak seasoning for more kick), sear each side in a hot pan (maybe in some butter (careful...butter burns) or oil), and then finish it off (mignon in pan (oven safe)) in a decently heated oven (400 or 450 degrees). And, then, even cooking on each side until done to your taste. I'm not exactly sure on the timing on each side as it's been a while...maybe 3 or 4 minutes on each side. Also, let the meat get uncold to near room temp before you start. You definitely don't want to overcook it...so error on the side of caution.

If you are really daring, then you can pan cook the whole thing and constantly spoon butter on it while you hold the pan at an angle over the flame with the meat partially submerged in butter. I saw them do this on one of the cooking shows. I'm sure the butter made it taste great...but probably not great for your heart, though.

Now, an expert can correct any flaws in my approaches.

4. alex09xu

alex09xu Member

Nice, awesome thanks for the tips I'll let you know how it comes out

5. Surfguy

Below may be a little more precise. I'm pretty close. Notice how my times are a little lower at a higher temperature. Personally, I'd probably shoot for medium to medium-well. One other thing I'd probably do is, if you use butter, mixing it with some oil will prevent it from burning.

6. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

searing the steak on the pan + oven method is beautiful. you'll have a perfect steak.

7. Surfguy

i would also let the steaks sit for two minutes or so. The idea is you want to get them cool enough so the juices don't run all out...but you don't want to eat cold steak, either.

8. kikimama

kikimama Member

9. deadlybulb

deadlybulb Contributing Member

Surfguy, you say you're not an expert, but you have a GREAT head start because you know Montreal Steak seasoning is where it's at.

Montreal Steak Seasoning is the SHCIZNIT! Not just for Steak, but for many other things as well.

Excellent suggestion.

10. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

How much heat = searing? High heat? Pre-heat the pan and then pour in the oil or pour the oil into a cool pan and then turn the heat on to high?

11. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

This thread is making me very hungry.

12. ScriboErgoSum

ScriboErgoSum Contributing Member

High heat and temped meat is the motto I use. For a nice cut of steak, you don't need to mask the flavors, so I'd go with kosher salt and cracked black pepper.

Take the steak out of the fridge 20 minutes or so before you're going to cook. You want to get that sucker to room temperature or close to it. If you have a cast iron skillet, those are the best for cooking meat. If not, try to use something non-teflon. Gas stoves are also better than electric.

If you have a thick cut of meat, turn your oven on as high as it will go. When it's up to temp, turn your stove up on high as well.

Season your steak on both sides liberally with the salt and pepper. Make sure your skillet is nice and hot. Drop some olive oil in the skillet and let it get hot as well. Before it starts smoking, drop your steak in the skillet.

You want to really let this go to get a nice sear on both sides, which will lock in that seasoning in a nice crust. You should get a nice dark brown sear on the first side before you flip it. You want to get a good sear but you don't need it as dark as the first if you're going to finish it in the oven.

If you want after you finish the first side, you can butter baste to add extra flavor. Essentially add a nob of butter to the pan and tilt the pan up so the butter melts towards you. With a spoon, scoop up the melted butter and drizzle it over the top of your steak. You'll want to do this a few dozen times if you can to really get a nice buttery taste

I personally like a nice steak medium rare. It's hard sometimes to tell what temp a meat is without a thermometer or cutting into it. I want to say 125 is the internal temp for a medium rare steak.

When you're done cooking the meat, let it rest for a few minutes. Otherwise, it'll just bleed out and you lose all that wonderful juice inside the steak.

A few years ago we covered steak sauces in this thread. One of the best things about doing a pan-seared steak is making a pan sauce afterwards.

13. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

i'd say let it rest for more than 2 minutes after you cook it. Closer to 5-10 minutes would be best (and realize it'll keep cooking a little bit during those 5-10 minutes)

14. ScriboErgoSum

ScriboErgoSum Contributing Member

Agreed. Too many people slice it open right after it's out of the pan, and you lose so much flavor.

15. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

filet mignon ftw

16. worzel gummidge

Waste of a steak IMO. It makes it taste like roast beef.

17. PlanetG

PlanetG Member