1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Luis Scola Dilemma

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets934life, Mar 15, 2010.

1. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

No it doesnt. Going after Bosh is simply contacting him and convincing him to ask Toronto to facilitate a SnT to Houston. It has zero to do with what other teams can offer Toronto.

2. Ramathorn006

Ramathorn006 Contributing Member

I mean what else are you going to talk about on a freaking message board. Of course everything is going to be a knee-jerk. If it it wasnt we wouldnt have anything to talk about.

3. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

IF we were able to get Bosh to influence the Raptors to trade him here, I could see us keeping Scola and getting Bosh.

Ariza+Jeffries+Filler+2010 lottery pick is a decent package. Scola is really great lately. If the big man can come back and be effective, I think we are very close.

4. dexkk

dexkk Member

Not much of a dilemma. If we get Bosh, great. If we don't and retain Scola, great.

5. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

Scola will not be traded. He is a free agent after this year and is a smart guy. I'm sure he's heard some of the CB4 talk. In order for there to be a S&T for Bosh SCOLA would have to agree to it as well. Bosh has no problem because he'd be coming to a contender. But why would Scola sign, knowing he's not going to a contender?? I'm thinking he's gonna wait for something to happen with Bosh, and then sign.

6. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

Hasn't Bosh already declared he doesn't wish to sign with a team where he is not the franchise guy?

7. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Why wouldn't he be the franchise guy in houston?

8. jzmagic

jzmagic Member

I love Luis as much as the next guy, but Bosh is on another level.

9. jedicro

jedicro Member

He would also cost another level. Is Bosh twice as good as Scola? Because that's what you'll be paying him. Call me crazy, but after the last 5 years I'm a little hesitant to give one guy 17-20 million dollars.

I don't know if Scola's just hot right now or what, but the fact that he suddenly went nuts right when Landry left is a bit of an eye opener.

It's a moot point anyways. We're not giving up Scola to get Bosh because of the difficulties with S&T.

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

At this point I for one go with Scola.
    I don't know how Bosh will fit with the team and how injury prone he'll get once he arrives.

We should model our roster after the Pistons with borderline allstars at 4 or more positions instead of a Big Three

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

In international basketball Luis is on another planet as well.

12. Corpusfan

Corpusfan Member

True. People here have undervalued Scola for a long time, mostly because some can't see past his lack of athleticism. His numbers lately have been great, but they're not that much better than what he has been doing all along, under the radar. He's getting more minutes with Landry gone. Bosh is an elite player and I'd love to see him on the Rockets, but I'm not sure he's so much more valuable than Scola for the price difference, which limits the team's ability to pay other players. The object of the game is winning, not merely collecting superstars, and Scola is very good for the Rockets in that regard. I'd be very hesitant to trade him, even for the likes of Bosh.

1 person likes this.
  13. Corpusfan

Corpusfan Member

I agree with what you're saying about having borderline all-stars at multiple positions as the formula for the Rockets. That's one reason they've been more successful this year than many thought they would be -- because of the strong talent on the roster, from top to bottom. Having talent at every position, and the right combination of players, can win a championship. I'd rather see that then an expensive trio of superstars surrounded by a mediocre group of role players. But I don't agree with the "modeling after the pistons" part. They don't need to model the team after anyone. They have different players with different strengths and can find their own formula for success. No "model" or template needed.

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

See I don't trust elite players who haven't won a lick in the playoffs and could not help their team advance to the second round.
    Bosh is no Duncan. An allstar who wants attention and a stats padder. Talk to me once he is a real winner. Bosh without Yao is useless. Scola competes no matter what.

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The piston formula was for the easy understanding part. Of course this team has got to have an own identity. But man, that piston team had grit though.

16. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Not really...they about the same through Fiba play.

Scola does get some of the best numbers but it's not fair to compare him to Bosh...Because Scola is the go to guy for his team and TEAM USA does not have one guy to go to.

Bosh was a key member of that team though and no scrub like Boozer was.

Also did I mention that he's 25 and he's already a better player than Scola?

17. kuato

kuato Member

Scola plays like this all the time, but he is a team player, like Manu!, you will not see them scoring like machines if the team doesn't require that.

18. kuato

kuato Member

Bosh is a better player than Scola? , that's the problem with some NBA fans, they can't understand what a team is, they just wish to have stars playing together and that's not the same.

19. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yes lolol.

Bosh is a better player than Scola. Honestly what has Scola done in his career that Bosh has not?

Make it to the 2nd round? I find it funny how so many people want Lee or whoever else when some of these guys have also not made it past the 2nd round.

Yes thats how you build a team, you put the best players out there. You can say all you want how Scola fits on the team, that HAS NOT led us close to even sniffing the Finals.

Thats why you give up Carl Landry for Kevin Martin.

I guess I see it like this. If Yao-Bosh combo works you could talk about a possible Dynasty, and you still have a young Bosh if Yao gets hurt.

Yao-Scola is not a possible dynasty, YES the other 4 players are good players with Brooks, Martin, Ariza/Battier, Scola..

But all of you opposed to this idea are not thinking about "What if Yao can't return to his level of play?"

Then what? Who is our franchise players? Kevin Martin and Luis Scola? They are not Franchise players and Bosh is. They are secondary and third scoring options and Bosh is a first scoring option.

20. HOU

HOU Member

What Scola has done that Bosh hasn´t? What about several championships, medals and MVPs around the world? Not saying Scola is the better player but
    he´s def. a proven winner while I`n not so sure about Bosh.