1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mav's going after KG, won't pursue Rashard?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by krosfyah, Aug 4, 2002.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

You lump everyone together. You are not calling it like you see it, because there are other things to see here than what you are calling out. Just like in bigotry, you point out only the bad you see, and then lump the whole group together. That's what gets you booted, not that we don't like opposing voices around here. We just don't like annoying one's who think they've got this BBS community of 5,000 members pegged as "pathetic," when they don't.

If you want to be the "arch nemesis" and run back to your Dallas BBS to report what we said, who is the "pathetic" one.

Why don't you leave, but before you leave, why not just hop over to the NBA Dish and help us intelligent and unbiased Rox fans vote Francis off our little fun survivor game we have going.

2. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

The fact that I forgot that they still had NVE, makes me even more convinced that they should trade for KG, by giving up Nash and Finley.

NVE isn't as good as Nash, but he's a damn good replacement. Then add in KG, and you have an improved team.

3. Stylez

Stylez Member

No one on this thread said Lewis sucks. We're just saying he can't play SG. He has no lateral quickness and no handles whatsoever. Ever other SG has at least one of those traits. Lewis would make a great SF for the Rocks b/c all we need him to do are the 2 things he does best: shoot & rebound. I'd love to see Lewis come here to do that but I wouldn't want him here to play SG and replace Mobley b/c at the 2 he probably would suck.

4. miles berg

miles berg Member

As a Mavericks fan (1st time visitor to this forum) I would not like to trade Steve Nash at all.

In my humble opinion Steve Nash is untouchable in Dallas for the reason that he is Dirk Nowitzki's best friend and they have great court chemistry together. Nash makes Nowitzki better and Nowitzki makes Nash better.

To me they are the core of the team, together. I think the "Big 3" is no longer and that Finley is starting to take a back seat.

Would I trade Nick Van Exel, Michael Finley, and all the other stuff that would be needed (resigned Najera or ZhiZhi, couple 1st rounders, cap space eaters like Wahad or Bradley) to get Kevin Garnett in Dallas?

YES!

Would I trade the above package except replacing NVE with Nash? No. Not even considerable.

I am not saying that Nash is that much more talented than NVE but the chemistry issue comes into play here quite a bit.

You do not upset Dirk. Simple as that. Dirk is the franchise even if KG comes in.

5. Stylez

Stylez Member

Welcome to the BBS miles berg and thank you for a reasonable and well informed take on the KG persuit from a Mavs fan point of view.

You made a lot of good points about Nash and the court chemistry between he and Nash but I have to disagree w/ your last point. Why can't you bring in a player your Franchise players doesn't like?

You should always be on the sid of the new guy and not your proven Franchise player. Look at our threads, everyone jumping on Steve Francis' back b/c he isn't in love w/ Ming. Francis isn't thrilled but hasn't said he will not play w/ him or find a way to make it work but too many of posters here are ready to turn their back on him and go w/ Ming. If Dirk doesn't like KG just get rid of him and get on the KG bandwagon.;)

6. miles berg

miles berg Member

I see your point.

With your situation Steve Francis is in a tough situation.

*If* Ming comes in and becomes a bust and the Rockets end up blowing the #1 pick when they could have landed Darius Miles and one of the two lotto picks the Clips had (Melvin Ely would be perfect for Houston) then Francis will be very upset. He will have to still carry the load in Houston with Mobley and Griffin rounding out a great core.

BUT

*If* Ming comes in and averages 15/10/3 his 1st season and naturally progresses after that into a 25/14/5 player in 5 or 6 seasons, then Francis is no longer the #1 option on the team marketability wise. The national media will always be on Ming and Francis will feel left out. The team will be winning and will be up there with LAL/SAC/DAL/SA and even if Francis is the true reason they got there Ming will get the national credit.

Francis is in a situation that Finley found himself in back in 1998 when Nowitzki was drafted and then less than two years later Mike was the #2 option and the whole league was talking about Nowitzki. If Francis accepts this Houston is a FORCE but if Francis acts selfish then they could be in trouble.

I see Francis' point and it will be tough. Playing with Darius Miles, Drew Gooden, or Mike Dunleavy Jr. would be a lot more comfortable for his ego than playing with Yao Ming.

7. TexasG

TexasG Member

First off Dirk isn't going anywhere. Second I don't believe teams should or should not make trades based on friendships on the team. I've mentioned this several times in regards to Francis, and Mobley's friendship. As a fan of the Mavs I expect Cuban to take advantage of every opportunity to make the team better. Trading for KG (even if that means trading Nash) would definately make the Mavs better. People may say well KG hasn't made it out of the first round. True but he also hasn't had the opportunity to play with the likes of Dirk, NVE, and possible Rashard Lewis. NVE would be a more than adequate replacement for Nash. It would also make the Mavs tougher in the eyes of their opponents (as far as attitude goes).

I don't expect this trade to ever happen but I think it would be a bad move on Cuban's part to not even consider it.

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Question : Is Nash a deal breaker? If the Wolves INSIST THEY WANT NASH AND NOT NVE does that make you not make this deal?

Rocket River

9. aexchange

aexchange Member

deal doesnt get done. nash is what makes the engine run, and while van exel is a very good pg, the mavs absolutely sputter when nash isnt in the game.

10. TexasG

TexasG Member

From miles point of view it appears that it is. Personally I would still do the deal.

11. Dirk77

Dirk77 New Member

Sorry you guy's, the Mavs wouldn't trade Nash in the deal for KG.

It would be something like: Mike, NVE, and AJ or Taw for KG, otherwise they we wouldn't do it.

Also, we would still go after shard, we'd actually have more $ to sign him , lol.

12. dirtyfithynasty

If the trade was for Finley, NVE, and fillers, then I think you have to do it. Then the Mavs could go after free agents to fill the rest of their lineup. Maybe some guys like Byron Russell or Michael Redd, or Travis Best (is he still a free agent)

Then they would have a lineup like

Nash
    Russell
    Dirk
    KG
    Lafrentz

I do think that is a better lineup than we had last year and probably would allow us to beat the Kings although I don't know if we would beat the Lakers.

The question is would a lineup like

NVE
    Wally
    Finley
    Joe Smith
    Rasho

be better than the lineup they have now. If not, I don't really see why they do this deal. Either way the Wolves don't get out of the first round of the playoffs. As for draft picks, I don't think the Mavericks can give any away because I think there is a rule against giving away two years draft picks back to back (even though the Mavericks haven't had a first round draft pick the last two years).

13. TexasG

TexasG Member

Overall I think it would be better, or at least more clutch. With a close game can you imagine having to try to stop NVE, and Finley? I think wally would either switch to the SF position or become trade bait for a true SF. Would the Knicks be willing to part with Spree to get their hands on Wally? NVE, Finley, and Spree on the same team would be very dangerous even more so than KG and Wally. Also don't forget that Brandon becomes the backup PG to NVE. I think overall the Wolves would be better, which only adds to why the Mavs wouldn't do this trade.

14. miles berg

miles berg Member

I really don't think Dallas would do the KG deal unless Rashard Lewis signs.

The line-up would be:

PG-Nash
    SG-Lewis
    SF-Dirk
    PF-KG
    C- LaFrentz

----

Personally, I think just signing Lewis would be enough. Unless Minny is willing to accept Tariq Abdul Wahad *and* Shawn Bradley and are also willing to include Terrell Brandon in the deal I would not do it.

I would not trade more for less just to get KG when we already have Dirk.

15. stevel

stevel Contributing Member

I can completely understand why Dallas would want KG, BUT why would Minnesota trade him for NVE, Finely, and a bunch of Dallas cast-offs. KG is a tough player - 20-10-5 for like 5 seasons in a row, plus all this was done with out a lot of help (meaning defenses were focusing on stopping him). This guy palys with incredible passion, and he is a definite difference maker on both sides of the ball. I think alot of other stars in the league would struggle in the same situation as KG's (lack of help). I would think if Minn. wanted to trade KG they could get a whole lot more for him. NVE is undoubtedly good when he is on, but he has caused chemistry problems in his other locals. Finely is a stud, but he is currently in or just slightly edging past his prime. This trade would terrible for Minn. Now, if I am Minn and Dallas offered Nash, Finley, Raef, and a couple of draft picks to recoup the ones they lost for being bone heads with Joe Smith - then I would consider it.

16. TexasG

TexasG Member

I don't think Minnesota is really considering trading KG, all this talk was started a NY Columnist (suprise, suprise).

If they were considering it though I think it would to first of all get rid of KG's contract, and then to try and get some of the picks they lost. They would obviously lose a top 5 player (no doubt that would hurt) but the rest of the team would be more talanted. I still don't think they would be able to get out of the 1st round though.

17. D-Up

D-Up Member

Uh, if KG is for sale, why doesn't Houston put in a bid???

KG for Eddie, Cat, Cato & a future first rounder.

Isn't that as good as Finley, NVE/Nash, Bradley and filler????

18. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

uh, because his contract eats up salary cap space like thomas hamilton eating chicken

and giving up our #2 and #3 option and change for garnett don't see well. that would leave a BIG gap at the 2 and i believe that even with eddie, cat, and cato's salary combined, it's still NOT ENOUGH whereas finley + NVE + bradley is.

it just makes sense for minny to do this. sure they can wait til KG's a free agent and then have cap space but why wait when you can get 2 all stars a serviceable center and maybe even a draft pick? then they could resign wally if they wanted to so he can play the 3 or trade him for one. i bet that chicago would be interested. see, this opens up a lot of room for the wolves.

dallas...well having a three headed monster of nash,garnett, and nowitzki is just nasty....

19. Elie#17

Elie#17 Contributing Member

i skipped a buncha threads because i'm about to sleep but..
    tony parker is like matt maloney.. give him another season and people will be saying tony who?

20. D Rose

D Rose Contributing Member

With "no soring" Mutumbo in NJ. . . .Van Horn gone. . . .will Jefferson out shine Griffin?

Garnett may or may not move from the Timberwolves. . . but the Rockets have been very quiet so far this off season. . .which may be brilliant! . . . Moving disgruntled players around is a big chemistry challenge . . . .and hopefully the Rockets whose team is set will fire off the launch pad on day one . . . .so they will be as high a seed as possible in the Play-offs. . . .Let others figure out how they will fit this guy in with that guy. . . .we'll just keep getting better. . . .start out great and improve.

Cato is going to be the suprise plus for the Rockets this year. . . .