1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Uof h in the dance

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by pbnfamilia, Mar 13, 2010.

1. pbnfamilia

pbnfamilia Member

yes sir were back in the dance so how do u think we will do we looked preety good against utep and it seems we are getting hot in the right time
    who knows i smell a return for phi slama jamma :)

2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

3. cjstukenholtz

cjstukenholtz Member

I would consider this thread a post game analysis. The Cougars could have always ended up losing this game due to a lack of rest time between games. But I would have to say that perhaps it was their game-playing rhythm from last night carrying on into this game, thus precluding weariness.

IMO, this was a tournament the Cougars had to win in order to see ANY kind of postseason play at all since their regular season record coming in didn't appear good enough to even make it to the NIT.

Now, we're all anxious to see what region they'll be in, the teams they'll potentially play in it let alone who their first round opponent will be.

4. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Ahhh you forget about the legendary CBI, they love the Coogs so even with a .500 they should have probably seen action! Lol :grin:

5. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

It's been a long time coming

6. msn

msn Member

Coogs in the dance. Awesome.

7. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Very nice...congrats to the Coog fans out there. I'll definitely be rooting for them, even though I have no connection other than summer school courses. :grin:

8. Scientific1

Scientific1 Member

So that means Penders will still be fired? I say let him go, and let Gillispie take the program even further.

9. deepellumrocket

I seem to remember Penders and Maggert being upset with the CBI last year and telling the not to invite them anymore.

10. deepellumrocket

11. DreamRoxCoogFan

I am very excited for the team, but I want Penders to be fired. Now that he has made it, that last year on his contract looks to be secure. I don't want another year of JUCO transfers and poor coaching. If you went to Hofheinz this year, it was worse than it has been for a while. Undoubtedly, he has brought us a long way, but its time to take the next step. His recruiting philosophy creates inherently flawed teams. You can't sustain winning with 2 year players. Also, its preposterous that you don't recruit Texas, let alone Houston- both of which are basketball hotbeds.

12. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I agree with Penders needing to leave.

His team got hot at the right time, that's all.

Put these four wins in the middle of the year and we're *still* not even a bubble team.

I'm not fooled for a second that the last 4 days are enough evidence to counteract the last 6 years.

13. Bojangles

Bojangles Contributing Member

IMMA CHAMPION

14. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

18 years since the last tourney appearance. 18 years! He's overcome that with a Cinderella run through the C-USA tourney. And hey, the season's not over yet. He might even win a game in the tourney, with the guard play we've got.

Tourney wins are definitely not the same as wins in the middle of the season. They were important. They matter. And I think they bought him at least another season as coach, at worst.

15. cjstukenholtz

cjstukenholtz Member

I should also add that the seeding is another matter as well. I know that it might be debatable as far as how high of a seeding the Cougars will get, but I feel that it might be in the neighborhood of 12th thru 15th.

I would be happy if they got a 12th seed because I'm thinking that maybe, they'll join a large number of 12s that knocked off 5s in those first round games since the NCAA went to that 64-team format (now 65) in 1985. :grin:

16. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I repeat...

I'm not fooled for a second that the last 4 days are enough evidence to counteract the last 6 years.

If we're only going to backdoor our way into the tourney once every six years, then thanks, but no thanks.

Plus Penders is 64 years old... he's one of the oldest coaches in the game... surely he will want to retire after his current contract ends (2012).

This has done nothing but give Tom slack to live out his current deal.

If he gets to the Sweet 16 or further, then Mack Rhodes may be forced/tempted to talk extension, but even then, I doubt it.

This week was an anomaly, and I do not feel that UH will see any tournament bids being earned under Penders in the next two years.

#16 DonnyMost, Mar 13, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2010
  17. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

I was very excited after the game. My family loves UH. My Dad went to college there. I went to law school there. All that said, we have to take of the red and white goggles.

UH will be a 14 or 15 seed. It would be a miracle if UH won their first round game. Then again, it was a miracle that they won the C-USA tournament...so anything can happen.

18. CHAD444

CHAD444 Contributing Member

im thinking an 11 seed......

19. TurtleBonzi

TurtleBonzi Member

Yes, yes you are.

20. shsu33

shsu33 Member

Then your not thinking well. A 19-15 record for a team that plays in Conference USA will not get an 11 seed because they won the conference tournament and got the automatic bid. UH wasn't even about to make NIT before the conference tournament and you think wins against East Carolina(not all that), Memphis(going to NIT), Southern Miss(has a shot at NIT) and UTEP(only ranked team) is going to move them up to an 11?! Sam and UH are my schools, one I cheered for growing up, the other I graduated from, but both will wind up getting a 14; maybe 13 for Sam since they were at least NIT bound if they hadn't won the Southland Tournament. I don't care what happens in the tournament, I'm so proud my schools won their conference in my favorite sport. This was one of the best days for sports in my life('94 Rockets will never be topped). Darn it TSU, almost won the SWAC and we could of had 3 Houston area schools at the dance. Still an awesome day though!

Eat 'em up kats and coogs!!
    2010 Southland and Conference USA Champs!