1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will Hill retain minutes?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JPhil93, Mar 10, 2010.

1. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Andersen is usually feast or famine. When his shot is on, he's a major weapon. But when his shot isn't falling, he's pretty much a dud.

I'd have Hill as the first Big off the bench and then Andersen to see if his shot is falling. Then go to Jeffries if Andersen is ineffective.

2. AggieRocketsFan

Andersen has been knocking down his 3pt shot since the all-star break... Hopefully he still has it when he is rested coming back from his injury.

3. Hmm

Hmm Member

this is what I'm hoping happens.. hopefully coach Adelman has had his fill, as much as we have, of Jeffries pulling a Chuck Hayes with a weaker layup, on the offensive end of the floor.. and hands his Minutes to Andersen..

4. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

Wow whoda thunk Jeffries would be shooting 51% from close range. I figured it would be in the 20-30% range.

5. edwardc

edwardc Member

Agrees without a true superstar on the floor having good role player can make a big difference.

6. dreamshake09

dreamshake09 Member

Hill has been playing good bball against scrub teams that play poor defense to keep in mind. DA has much more experience overall in bball and has the definitive edge in offense. However, Hill has the edge in defense, finishing at the rim in cutting, defense, and rebounding. Both still foul at a high rate but I would assume that is because of acclimation to the NBA.

I like DA because he has a polished offense game and can spread the floor. It's his first year in the NBA, and the NBA is the top league in the world so there will be some adjustments (remember Scola to some extent and Scola is a better overall player). DA needs to work on his strength and 3 pt shooting, I think he will become a more intelligent defensive player through experience (that is to say he will become competent).

Hill will become a hybrid of Chuck Hayes is he develops properly, as it is way too early to tell. Hill has good defensive length and can finish strong at the rim due to his height and length. However, I don't expect him to become as strong as the immovable oak tree that is the Chuckwagon but I expect him to have a midrange jumper unlike the forementioned player. I don't expect Hill to be able to spread the floor to the 3pt line like DA can.

In conclusion, I think we can hope for DA to become a solid backup PF/C that can bring +10 ppg off the bench, stretch the floor to the 3pt line, and play competent defense. I hope Hill can score ~8-10 ppg of the bench, rebound, and play good defense. I'm not sure which would be a better PF/C combo. And finally, this is all based on what I've seen and what we can expect if these two players can work on their apparent weaknesses.

7. dreamshake09

dreamshake09 Member

I didn't mention mentioned it or maybe it was implied enough, but I want to see how they look coming off the bench together.

8. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Not only that, pull up Andersen's shot chart...I don't see how that is spreading the floor.

How many times does Andersen shoot wide open 3s? Everyone ask yourself that, because I don't think teams say "Uh oh, Andersen's on the floor we need to account for his 3 pt shooting."

9. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

Agreed, I think Jeffries is more foul prone than Hill is and he, Jeffries, consistently misses layups.. At least Hill dunks the ball.

But I do think he's going to probably take over Andersen's minutes.

10. Possum

Possum Member

There are higher ceilings in the Shire.

11. wfox

wfox Member

Wow you have a sick sig

12. worzel gummidge

don't need to shoot the 3 to spread the floor. he's a 45% shooter from either side of the court.

13. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

And Gandalf has the bruises to show for it.

14. AugieC

AugieC Member

I think the Rockets are trying to groom him as a young player instead of using him as a potential trade bait..

15. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

And an airlines, It's the only way to "fly you fools"...

16. eman

eman Contributing Member

I'd like to see Chase and Hill starting, rather than coming off the bench, the rest of the way. What do we have to lose? Try AB, KM, CB, JH, and matchup-dependent center for starters. Then sub our bowling ball in, maybe give JT a little run. Rest Shane and Trevor for the playoffs ;) ;) .

17. W-Mac

W-Mac Contributing Member

I dont think we're over analyzing anything...the guy is putting up solid #'s for the time he's on the court.

18. W-Mac

Bottom line is Hill needs minutes, whether thats with DA on the floor with him or not I dont care. Andersen is already like 29 years old, right? I dont want him taking any minutes from Hill (22) because Hill has a MUCH higher ceiling and will be around longer than DA (if he's not moved this off-season).

It's funny that you compare Hill to Chuck Hayes w a jumper. I think a more accurate comparison would be Landry. Hill already rebounds better than Chuck, is more athletic, can shoot better, etc. The one thing he's lacking is defense, but really his D isn't bad at all. He's good at helping on the PnR, while getting back to his man.

19. van chief

van chief Member

Its all about match ups and who we pair up on the floor together.

It isn’t that hard guys:

Jeffries contract is expiring next season.

Hill should eat into Jeffries minutes, when Anderson comes back he will get minutes to rest Scola.

Your tandems will be;

Scola, Hayes
    Hayes, Anderson
    Scola, Hill
    Hill, Anderson

We probably don’t want Anderson and Scola on the floor together; Anderson plays soft D and is not a strong rebounder.

Anderson should not have hit his ceiling. This is his first year in the NBA, as he gains experience and his comfort level on the court increases his offense, D, and rebounding should only improve.

I think it’s really important to get into the playoffs this year, and get these rookies a taste of the atmosphere and intensity. The experience gained from even a first round exit this year would be invaluable as far as accelerating there development, especially for Budinger.

20. W-Mac

Anderson is almost 30, how much better can he possibly get?

And quit talking about playoffs, it aint happening