1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anyone Going to SXSW This Year?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by vwiggin, Mar 9, 2010.

1. vwiggin

vwiggin Contributing Member

Hi guys!

I'm hosting a session at SXSW Interactive this year on blogger credibility.

We're giving away one iPod Nano during the session, so if you're attending SXSWi, please stop by and help a Clutch Bro out. My session is probably going to be pretty intimate (less than 50 people probably), so chances of winning are pretty good. :)

This is my first time at SXSW. What bars and BBQ joints do you recommend that's within walking distance of the convention center? If you've given a presentation at SXSWi before, do you have any suggestions?

If you're in the blogging/marketing industry, this will be a pretty awesome session. We have an all-star cast of folks who already RSVPed.

Here's the session info:

Title: Measuring Blogger Credibility: FTC Regulation vs. Crowdsourced Solutions

Time: Saturday, March 13 at 12:30 pm - 1:30 pm (Central Time)

2. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

What type of blogs are you discussing? Music, technology, politics, finance etc..?

3. FROSTEEiCE

FROSTEEiCE Contributing Member

I'll be there if anyone would be kind enough to help me win this contest to win a free SXSWi badge from Media Temple.

Apparently the top 2 people who get the most comments on their wall post wins a free badge. I'd really appreciate it if anyone could take a minute and just leave a comment. Thing is you have to become a fan of the page to leave a comment, but you can always unfollow shortly after. The link to my wall post is below.

http://bit.ly/dtscKr

Thanks in advanced, & hopefully the Rockets can actually get a win tonight!

4. nickb492

nickb492 Contributing Member

Of course. Also to anybody that cares, Cheap Trick is playing a free SXSW show at Auditorium Shores on March 19th! Badges! Badges! We don't need Stinkin' Badges!

5. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

I don't have a wristband but I might steal one off of a drunkard.

6. vwiggin

@Mr. Brightside: It will mostly cover any blogs that does product reviews. So music blogs, personal finance blogs, consumer blogs, tech blogs, parenting blogs, movie blogs, etc. Political blogs are probably less likely to come up, though.

@Frosteeice. I voted for you! What a sneaky way for MT to add fans. :p

@nickb492. Thanks for the tip!

@SuperBeeKay. As long as that drunkard ain't me.

7. stipendlax

stipendlax Member

I've looked and all the bands I'm interested in seeing are playing for free somewhere. No need no badge!

But yes, I'll be there.

8. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

ugh. I'm beating myself up because I didn't book a plane ticket and everyone and their dog is going to Austin from L.A. and the prices are astronomical.

I really want to get there to see my brother's band play at Maggie Mae's Saturday Night...

9. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

the last few years im way more into the day/free stuff. ive basically flipped my sxsw time - i spend my days riding my bike around town checking out free shows, eating and drinking free beer...go home around 8 and rest...rinse and repeat. much more fun, imo.

wristbands have gotten to the point where the are just not cost effective. the pre-sales were $130 and then went to $180 - that comes out to $40 a night! and it would be one thing if that guaranteed entrance into shows, but it doesnt. many of the bands you really want to see you have to get there early and wait on and then so many people have badges now and they get to cut inline - its demoralizing when you have been waiting it out for 45 minutes or so.

you get none of that jive at the day shows! sure, you miss some cool sets, but you can see 75% of the bands you want to see just checking out free stuff.

i had a wristband last year (didnt pay for it) and only went out two nights - i saw like 3 bands each night.

back to wristband prices though - i think $100 is fair, but once it got beyond that i had a hard time justifying it. i moved to austin in 95 and it was around $50 and people were b****ing then about how it was $15 when it first started!

10. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I'm going on Sat to Auditorium Shores to see the kids shows in the afternoon and Deer Tick, Lucero & Justin Townes Earle in the evening.

11. chrisjent

chrisjent Member

Since you're hosting a panel, I assume you'll have an IA badge. That being said, be sure to check out the Frog Design party at the MACC. I have been helping to host official parties since '05 and that's is the best IA party year in and year out. Also be sure to stop by the Dorkbot party at Brushy Street Square and the Happy Cog party at the Scoot Inn. Those are all on 3/13.

The Microsoft party at Speakeasy on 3/15 should also be a good one as will the IA closing party on 3/16 at the Mohawk.

You'll be able to get into all of these with your IA badge.

12. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

you can try flying into houston and/or dallas then driving. It's not that far

13. leroy

Actually, San Antonio is even closer and a lot of times cheaper than flying into Austin.

14. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i was going to recommend that but thought that because it is so close, i could see those flights sky rocketing as well.

15. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

i'll be there following my hipster friends around to all the free events featuring bands i've never heard of. i just want to see my old friends, honestly. free booze would be a plus, as would checking out some new muzak.

16. leroy

Check Southwest going into San Antonio from LAX or Ontario. Looks like you can do it for about $500 depending on what day you leave. If you do fly out on Wed and return Sunday, it would be $428. I'm not sure what your definition of "astronomical" is, though.

17. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

What's the name of your brother's band?

18. vwiggin

Wooo good tips. Thanks! That's exactly what a newbie like me needs to know. Are you going to be at any of those parties? :)

19. bigben69

bigben69 Member

My brothers band LAZLO is playing too. Not sure of any details but if you happen to see them, they put on a good show!

20. chrisjent

chrisjent Member

You bet! I'll briefly be stopping by each of them...probably spend extended time at the Frog Design and Happy Cog party only because they are bigger and the SX folks will need more hands on deck.