1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

KG Being Shopped?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaneB, Aug 4, 2002.

1. Believe2000

Believe2000 Member

Actually, on second thought, Rocketforever is right. Eventually we would have to break it up.

2. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

I think Francis would have to be involved in order for a
    trade like this to happen.

Something like:
    Francis
    Taylor
    Rice
    Cato
    future 1st

for:

KG
    MJax

I don't think that guts our team. It leaves us with:
    1-Mooch
    2-Cat
    3-KG
    4-Griff or KT
    5-Ming

6-Griff or KT
    7-Nachbar
    8-MJax
    9-Tierre
    10-Oscar
    11-TMo
    12-Collier, Tito, Willis?

Mooch at the point scares me though :eek:.
    Possible Max contracts would be 3 and 4 years
    away in Ming and Griff. By then would KG's
    contract be up? If so the cap situation would be
    very managable.

3. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

It works on RealGM:
    Houston trades:
    PG Steve Francis (21.6 ppg, 7.0 rpg, 6.3 apg in 41.1 minutes)
    C Kelvin Cato (6.6 ppg, 7.0 rpg, 0.4 apg in 25.5 minutes)
    SF Glen Rice (8.6 ppg, 2.4 rpg, 1.6 apg in 30.3 minutes)
    SF Maurice Taylor (8.6 ppg, 2.4 rpg, 1.6 apg in 30.3 minutes)
    Future 1st

Houston receives:
    C Marc Jackson (4.8 ppg, 3.3 rpg, 0.4 apg in 12.7 minutes)
    SF Kevin Garnett (21.2 ppg, 12.1 rpg, 5.2 apg in 39.2 minutes)
    Change in team outlook: -10.8 ppg, -1.0 rpg, and -2.7 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

4. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

Well I am all for it if the salary cap thing can be worked out. A front line of Ming, Griffin and Garnnet does look formidable.

5. goophers

goophers Member

I bow down to your wisdom, Sooner. That is a better package that the NJ one, and I think it really helps out both teams. I'm leery of giving Francis the max (though that's a different discussion) and this allows us to lose Cato without too much of a falloff (I think Cato is valuable to keep, but it works here). Someone forward this to the Rockets brass!!!!

6. aznlincolnpark

KG cost too much...

7. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

a couple opinions:

1.kg is unique, a superstar, a top 5 player.

2. we have a much better team now than if we gutted it just to get him.

8. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

A-FREAKIN-MEN!!!

We all need to let this one go. It's nice wishful thinking, but let's be realistic. We went from dreaming of a sign-and-trade for Lewis that isn't going to happen to a deal for Kevin Garnett!???! Good grief.

9. RocketForever

PG - Francis
    SG - Szczerbiak
    SF - Griffin
    PF - Garnett
    C - Ming

yeah yeah I know the salary cap thing is not going to work out with this lineup..but we can dream. Right??? :D :D :D

10. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

While we're dreaming:
    PG-Francis
    SG-Clyde
    SF- Prime Glen Rice
    PF- 7 year pro Griffin
    C- Me at 7ft 8 and scoring 80 ppg.

I am really good at dreaming. :p

11. RocketForever

My dream is at least remotely possible if everything clicks, Yours is just a fantasy!!! :p

12. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

You mean to tell me we can't fantasize?(sp?) THAT'S AN OUTRAGE! I'm getting my lawyer. Or my father's lawyer. Or some lawyer... anybody here a lawyer that wants to work for free?

13. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Any trade that anyone here would do "in a heartbeat" is a trade that's not going to happen.

14. B-ball freak

B-ball freak Contributing Member

Sorry, Jeff. This is all I have during the offseason - optimism, dreamcasting and backseat GM'ing. :) Don't take that away :(

I know you're right but I'll get my hopes up anyway. Everyone knows the Rockets don't trade for superstars until they are 4 yrs from retirement.:D

15. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Rock 4ever,

Each player's contract expires at different times. Garnett & Szerb in one yr. Francis' will depend on extension. Griffin has two years left and Yao will be three years away.

Disagree that they're all superstars. KG is ad Francis is on the verge. However, Grif is still learning, Yao is unproven, and Szerb is a solid, but not super player.

KG, Yao, Szerb & Francis are all good passers...helps teamwork considerably. KG becomes are defensive stopper and takes pressure off Yao. Yao, EG & KG could float inside and out to mismatch just about any frontline in the league. Wally will be our biggest defensive reliability, but he plays decent team D.

If NJ is throwing crap that was reported, trade I outlined is better than that.

MIN fans know that the team has to do something to get out of their rut. Yes, trading KG is the most radical, but if they can get solid young value in return + some potential future picks--why not? They may lose KG via FA anyway.

Sooner,

I wouldn't give up Steve. I think they could be enticed by the original package. MIN had Marbury, they don't want another guy that would leave or be a problem because he doesn't want to be there.

Jeff,

I'm with Rock 4ever...dream the impossible dream...who wouldn't thunk we would have gotten Yao, Eddie G, etc. You gotta believe baby!

16. TexasG

TexasG Member

Actually as long as CD would be willing to pay the luxury tax (if he really wants to win that's what he's going to have to do anyways) it can be done. Francis is already maxed out. By trading for KG, and Wally the Rockets would obtain his Bird Rights so they can go over the cap to sign them to the max. Since Nacbar, and Ming were drafted by the Rockets they could also be signed to the max regardless of the cap. All the players could be signed it would just depend on bad Dawson wants to win. Also don't forget that since the Rockets would be over the cap they would still have the Mid Level Exception to sign the role players. With that lineup the reserves wouldn't have to be studs. Kind of like Shaq, Kobe, and the merry minimums (as Cuban refers to them).

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Uh, TexasG, CD doesn't own the Rockets, Les Alexander does. I'm sure CD wishes he did, but I would also be willing to bet that he thinks he's lucky to be working for Les. We've got a great owner, IMHO. (Clutch can get the season tickets to me, Les. Clutch can do almost anything. Have you given Clutch and Jeff tickets for this season? You should, you know.:))

18. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

:D true.