1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would The Rockets Want A High Draft Pick?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by MoJoV3, Mar 8, 2010.

1. wfox

wfox Member

Ooh, that's a tough one. Turner is REALLY good, with star potential. It's not every day you get a shot at a legitimate playmaker. Turner does everything you want from a player with high character. Might be worth two lotto picks.

2. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

This is the dumbest thread ever. Why would we give up our drafts because they're too high up. If we draft like a Russell Westbrook and pay him the lottery salary, well so be it. I never see any teams wouldn't want a high draft pick because they don't want to pay them that much.

I never see any teams get lower draft picks because they don't want to pay too much for higher draft picks. I don't even know what you're thinking in the first place.

3. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

Morey did great in the with the low picks he got. But you have to realized the players he got like C-Bud or Landry or Brooks late in the draft are good picks but they're are great role players not superstars.

So would you rather draft a good role player late in the draft and pay him less than drafting a superstar in the top picks and have to pay him more? That's why Morey gets pay lots of money to do the job for the Rockets and not you.

4. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

Chris Bosh ...??

5. battousai

battousai Member

Don't forget we have been trying to trade or buy high draft picks through out the years. We just didn't get much luck and screwed by other GMs.

So, what Morey did was to make the most out of what he can. finding protential with second or late rounders.

6. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Phoenix traded away the #7 pick in the 2004 NBA Draft for that very reason.

Agreed that it is an idiotic move, though.

7. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

What if Morey's target players are drafted higher like Brandon Roy was in 2006? Then, he is left with Steve Novak in the 2nd round. Whopee.

A lower draft pick means your player isn't there and you have to settle.

8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

So... remember the last time the Rockets had a high draft pick?

[​IMG]

9. Karolik

Karolik Member

That would be the second to last.

10. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

But Morey aint no Dawson. He aint gonna draft no Steve Novak!

11. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

I remember this too!

[​IMG]

Also this:

[​IMG]

12. lunaticrocket

lunaticrocket Rookie

Morey has consistently tried to move up drafts. Looking at history, he seems to do this because he is scared to lose the player he is after.

I think he moved up to get Brooks, which was a right strategy.

He tried to move up to get Roy, but failed to do so and then traded the pick. In hindsight this was a mistake.

So it is likely he will try to move up again this year. I just hope he does not trade the pick again if it is not the player he wants.

13. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Jee, I don't know, wouldn't you?

;)

14. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

[​IMG]

I thought our last high pick was rudy with the # 8th pick....

--RB

15. MoJoV3

MoJoV3 Member

I really didn't think this thread would still be going....My apologies, I was at work when I typed this thread up, and the title is very misleading from the point I was trying to get across. Giving it more thought I probably would have tilted it "Would Rox want to draft high" not would they want the pick.

Anybody that follows the NBA knows that we could get a good player.... a "Brandon Roy" or a "Ricky Rubio" (As someone stated in an earlier post)....that's common sense...I definitely agree with most that the title is misleading....It probably sounds a lil better now about what I said earlier mentioning what DM quoted of replacing Landry in the draft...(what if Jordan Hill keeps improving) already having to pay him $4.8 mil over the next two seasons...with having to resign Scola and Lowry (Salary Cap)

"Would the Rox Want to Draft High" or do you think they would trade the pic etc.....and also knowing that they would have a guaranteed contract in the $2-$4 mil range.

16. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

Me too, I'll be so pissed if he trades away Hassan Whiteside or Donatas Motiejunas!!!

--RB

17. MoJoV3

MoJoV3 Member

Every year it seems like the Rockets are in "win now mode' huh...Aren't they gonna be next season too?

18. BetterThanEver

He ended up with Steve Novak in the 2nd round in that draft. That doesn't deter fans from wanting Morey to lose out on future Brandon Roy's and go for another Novak or Landry though.

19. BetterThanEver

He was a high 1st round pick, but is on the low end of the lottery 8-14.

20. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

Trust in Morey.

My gut instinct is we'll end up staying with our 10-13 draft pick, unless the OMFG did that really just happen Chris Bosh type deal goes down.