1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Potential realized: Chase Budinger

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Egghead, Mar 4, 2010.

1. Egghead

Egghead Member

lock if posted...

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/mar/04/potential-realized-budinger/

Overlooked in the NBA Draft, former LCC star proving his pro worth

By Don Norcross, UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

Thursday, March 4, 2010 at 12:02 a.m.
    La Costa Canyon alum Chase Budinger (right) has found his place in the NBA as a rookie, coming off the bench for the Houston Rockets.

La Costa Canyon alum Chase Budinger (right) has found his place in the NBA as a rookie, coming off the bench for the Houston Rockets.

About 20 family members and friends gathered at Chase Budinger’s Encinitas home last June for an NBA draft party. The catered menu included mini-burgers, bacon-wrapped shrimp and steak skewers.

Scuttlebutt had Budinger, the former La Costa Canyon High star, going anywhere from the middle to the end of the first round.

The first round came and went. Budinger was still on the board. The food, and the mood, turned cold.

“There was like a question over everyone’s head,” Budinger said. “A sorrowful feeling.”

Chase’s thoughts?

“I was kind of shocked.”

Finally, with the 44th selection, Budinger was selected by the Detroit Pistons, then immediately was dealt to the Houston Rockets. Fast forward eight months. The 6-foot-7, strawberry-blond Budinger is a steady contributor for the Rockets, coming off the bench to average 8.6 points and 2.9 rebounds a game.

“He’s been better than anyone thought or he wouldn’t have been drafted that low,” said Houston General Manager Daryl Morey. “He’s even better than we thought.”

Normally the polite, we-before-me type, Budinger almost bristles in a told-you-so fashion when discussing his rookie season.

“I think I proved a lot of people wrong with what they were saying about me,” he said by phone recently. “I showed I can play in this league, and I’ll play in this league for a long time.”

The rap on the 218-pound Budinger coming out of Arizona was that he was soft. That while he could run the floor and hit the open jumper, that he would shy away from the physical stuff.

“They said I couldn’t handle the physical pounding, that I wasn’t physically ready for the league,” recalled Budinger. “Things that I knew were wrong. The only way I could show ’em was to prove ’em wrong.”

Budinger used the draft slight as motivation. He spent a little more time in the weight room, a little more time in the gym. He ate healthier.

Be it a GM waxing hyperbole or Morey’s true feelings, he almost gushes about Budinger. Discussing Budinger’s ceiling, Morey said, “It’s really hard to know where it might stop, he’s so gifted.”

Noting that he’s been in the NBA since 2003, Morey called Budinger “the most ready-to-play rookie I’ve ever had. He’s really got a complete game. His ability to pass, shoot, move without the ball, handle the ball, make the right reads. He’s really skilled offensively.”

Turning objective, Morey admits Budinger’s defense can use some polishing and, “I think he needs to get stronger around the rim, finishing through contact.”

Budinger sounded like an appreciative 21-year-old rookie when asked what’s the coolest thing about playing in the NBA.

“The coolest thing is basketball is our job,” he said. “That we’re making money off something we love, something I would do for free.”

He’s being handsomely compensated, earning $725,000 his rookie season, according to multiple sources. He has not splurged since striking it rich. He’s renting an apartment in Houston and still drives the 2004 Chevy Tahoe he tooled about his senior year at LCC.

He does have his eye on a Mercedes CLS 550. Base price: $72,400.

The toughest thing about the NBA, he said, is the travel and 82-game grind. He lost an iPod in Charlotte. Or was it Oakland?

“I have no idea,” he said.

After dinner in Portland he came back to what he thought was his room, slid in the key, couldn’t get in and returned to the lobby to find out his correct room number.

More than once he admits to waking up and asking, “Where are we?”

To prepare himself for the season’s grind, Budinger tries to nap daily, dips his body in cold tubs after workouts, stretches after practice and lifts weights at least twice a week.

Budinger swings between small forward and big guard. He’s averaging 20.5 minutes a game playing behind veterans Shane Battier and Trevor Ariza. His career high is 19 points. His best game came against Detroit when he totaled 16 points, 12 rebounds and five assists.

“A little bit of everything,” Budinger said. “That’s what I’m known for.”

Morey believes Budinger will be a starter one day.

“But it’s not something we like to force,” he said.

Shortly after acquiring Budinger, Morey discovered just how admired he is in San Diego County. A fan mailed the GM high school game tape of Budinger, along with a note.

“He’s great,” the fan wrote. “You guys play him right away.”

Said Morey, “The person was right on.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    btw here is Budinger interview on 610..

http://www.sportsradio610.com/topic/play_window.php?audioType=Episode&audioId=4446272

he will be on every Thursday

3 people like this.
  2. elindio23

elindio23 Member

great read

3. Slimjim19

Slimjim19 Member

In before "Budinger will be an all-star, tank so we can play him more minutes".

4. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

didn't you know that budinger is the next larry bird?

c'mon... he's white!

;)

5. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

“I think I proved a lot of people wrong with what they were saying about me,” he said by phone recently. “I showed I can play in this league, and I’ll play in this league for a long time.”

this stood out to me... he's got confidence and I like it.

6. magnetik

magnetik Contributing Member

hahaha from a Tahoe to a Mercedes CLS 550. Now that's got to be some major change in driving style. heh

he should go for the CLS63 AMG instead.

[​IMG]

7. solid

solid Contributing Member

Been a fan since the summer league, BUT, I have been surprised by the inconsistency of his shooting. I thought his jumper was golden and consistent. Nope, he has been very streaky. Also, at times he has appeared passive. I don't know, the jury will be out for awhile.

8. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

He is going to be a nice NBA player but I don't see his ceiling being all that high. If he turns into a 15/5/3 guy I will be pretty impressed. Anything better than that and I will be more than a little surprised. I think his jumper will definitely get more consistent but he doesn't appear to have the ability to beat a guy off the dribble and get to the rim. He's basically a spot up shooter with a little extra athleticism to run the break. I do think his defense will end up being pretty good as he seems to be taking the Shane Battier school of defensive positioning.

1 person likes this.
  9. wfox

wfox Member

good post. Stephen Jackson probably jacked the ipod.

10. tobepg

tobepg Member

Considering that he is merely on his rookie yr, inconsistency is no big deal. Even star-level shooters could be cold in some nights. As he gains more experience, I believe, he will become a consistent contributor off the bench.

11. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I agree with this post, however I think with a little added strength he will definitely be able to finish plays when fouled. I'm tired of him not finishing plays when he has the hops and hangtime to finish plays off.

12. battousai

battousai Member

who's driving that car? it looks like a woman?

13. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

What is my car during this parade?!!?

14. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

there's actually something to be said about the fact that he's consistently inconsistent. He has a good game, then bad, then good, then bad. That's just being a rook. I'd be worried if he was having long stretches of bad play.

15. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Budinge is

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/d43U0OeWg3Q&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/d43U0OeWg3Q&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

16. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Kind of interesting how bad his shooting number can be even with a good looking shot. But then again, Peja Stojakovic and Joe Johsnon both were not such efficient scorers as rookies, either.

17. CaptainRox

CaptainRox Member

or better yet a CL65 coupe, or an sls. Then yet again an SlS is around 220,000$

18. Tiger23

Tiger23 Member

boat load of potential
    cant wait to see what the finishing product will be but hes behind so many wings he may never get a true shot at becoming a star in this league unless we trade him and that would be a sad day...
    somehow some way he has to see significant minutes Id almost rather him eating into Arizas minutes cuz his ceilings a helluva lot higher than Ariza whos about topped off

19. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

maybe he just need to set some sort of pre-game ritual. I imagine most vets have one and the younger guys, although they have habits, probably tend to try whatever they're feeling at the moment. He needs to find out what gets him in the best pregame form and stick to it.

When i play ball there's games when i feel my form is perfect that day. Sure enough, it's perfectly an inch or two too long and all game i hit the back of the rim. I thinks that's what Bud is going through. Could be as simple as stretching too much some games and not enough other games.

20. HiroProtagonist

after hearing that today interview i like him even more.