1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chuck Hayes=Rafer?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dallas Rocket, Mar 4, 2010.

1. da_juice

da_juice Member

I guess then we would put Andersen as the backup center?

2. wyo-ming

wyo-ming Rookie

oh god oh god we lost another game we should trade yao, martin, &brooks keep david anderson,ariz&shane they are the future i fear i will never be taken serious as a writer and spend my days shouting to a deaf ear

3. da_juice

da_juice Member

You're...kidding I hope?

4. DreamShakeFTW

DreamShakeFTW Member

Read the third paragraph of my post.

5. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

Hayes would be very good as a backup 4 with a good shot-blocking center who can hit a 12-16 footer. His passing from the top of the key would be a great asset when Yao sits down. Put him up top with either Brooks or Lowry(depending on who starts next year), Budinger, and ariza or battier and the motion offense should look very good.

6. mikeyharris

mikeyharris Member

W/O Chuck down low, post players will score at will against us. And do you really think if Adelman said, "hey, chuck, we're gonna sit you for the rest of the season but you can mentor Jordan Hill who has proved nothing." Chuck would be happy and say sure coach? **** no. He'd be pissed and he'd leave the team.

7. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

Rockets should sign Ilgauskau from Cleveland...he's not happy after the trade and can sign with any team after 30days.

8. wfox

wfox Member

TMZ appearance aside, Chuck just doesn't have the street cred of skip. No one in teh hood is rockin them chuckster threads.

9. burnnotice

burnnotice Rookie

I really hope that Morey doesn't pick up the option on Chuck's contract.

Chuck needs to get off of this sinking ship and goto The Lakers or another team that will respect what he can do and win a championship. He really fits in perfectly with LA and he is from Modesto. The Lakers should be actively trying to get him because he would cement their defense for the next 4-5 years. The Lakers are going to win back to back this year and with Chuck they would have a chance to win 4 or 5 in a row and solidify Kobe Bryant's legacy as the best basketball player of all time.

It will be at least 3 years before The Rockets are back in championship contention with the set backs Morey has delivered so it would be a waste of time for Chuck to be in Houston, considering he is one of the best defenders in The NBA and playing for a coach who has never cared about defense. He'll never get the recognition in Houston that he deserves.

If Chuck's agent is worth a damn, he should be working on a way to get him to LA.

10. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

...........I like Chuck, but saying that Chuck Hayes is what causes the Lakers to win an additional two more championships is pretty hilarious, considering that the Lakers are not exactly suffering from a deficiency in the front court.
    And I will bet on a Cleveland victory.

< Good. >

11. battousai

battousai Member

hey, as long as Chuck is healthy and cheap. he's good in my book. Players like him with great BB IQ, depends alot on smart phsyical strength and position should last a bit for us.

12. burnnotice

burnnotice Rookie

They don't have one guy in the paint known for his defense. Bynum is the equivilent of Carl Landry. Pau Gasol went to the same school of defense as Luis Scola. We are talking two 7-Footers that average a block and a half per game each. Eventually they will run into a team that has a dominant big man that will need to slowed down.

If the Cav's make it to The Finals again, your bet is a bad one because they don't have anyone that can stop Gasol/Bynum from scoring down low. They had the same problem against Duncan and San Antonio.

13. echu888

echu888 Member

true. durvasa has a great post on a truehoop blog looking at defensive and offensive adjusted plus/minus, and from that post, I learned that Hayes is statistically a defensive juggernaught. Absolutely the best on our team, and comparable if not better than any of the great defenders in the league. He should absolutely be a candidate for DPOY but unfortunately like most awards, that is partially a popularity contest.

We should keep this guy. Great, great value.

14. Scottay

Scottay Contributing Member

Didn't The Chuckwagon win us a playoff game last year taking a charge? That's why he's here; to elevate the team's defense in critical moments.

He's a fantastic role player alongside Yao. We've all witnessed that. He may not be gifted offensively, but he can shut down any big man in the league...and that frees up Yao as well, both offensively and on the glass.

Remember last year in Boston when Chuck dismantled KG? We won that game and really propelled from there. No way Morey gets rid of Hayes next season, not if Yao is healthy.

And he's just so damn easy to root for.

15. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

Care to name this team and dominant big man whom Gasol and Bynum cannot handle, but Chuck can? Chuck really can't deal with either Shaq or Howard, as they're too strong even for him.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=291225013

Uh-huh. Sure. Shaq can deal with Gasol and Bynum to a respectable degree, and the Cavs backcourt is much better, as they have the best player in the league.

The bottom line is that the idea that Chuck Hayes is the final piece the Lakers need for a championship is hilarious. Chuck's speciality is post defense, but even he can't handle Orlando and Cleveland's big men, so that's a moot point. Combine with the fact that he is massively inferior in the offensive end to Gasol and Bynum, and yeah, no. And let's not even get into the fact that I suspect both Gasol and Bynum would be incredibly pissed to find themselves on the bench behind Chuck Hayes.

< Good. >

16. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

Would like to re-edit this question slightly. Name a big man on a championship team that will destroy Gasol and Bynum but will be completely stopped by the Chuckwagon. I like Chuck, but I don't think his overall defense is so superior to Gasol as to make up for his utter inability to score, especially when you consider Chuck cannot alter nor block shots like Gasol can.

17. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Rafer was our STARTING PG. Chuck was our 3rd string PF now playing starting C. Big difference.

I do think Jeffries can replace Hayes as the situational defensive PF-C when Yao is back, if only Jeffries had a better contract.

18. burnnotice

burnnotice Rookie

I don't know, Boozer, Garnett, Duncan? You must have missed the game where he shut Shaq down this year. Noone is going to STOP Dwight Howard, but there is a huge difference in what "Euroleague" guys like Scola and Gasol do and what Chuck Hayes does. He will make Howard work from the tip so that by the 4th, he might have score 15-20, but had to take more shots and work harder to do it.

19. burnnotice

burnnotice Rookie

That is THIS YEAR. As a starter, he is going to put up those kinds of stats. Coming off the bench in situations, he will not. Adelman totally took him out of the rotation when he got here and is playing him now because Yao is out.

He should be starting along side Yao like he did when Van Gundy was here. That was/is (if Yao gets back to previous form) The Rockets best front line.

Yao/Scola consistently get owned on the defensive end. Yao is a tree and Scola pretends to play defense. If Chuck is your best low post defender (arguably your best defender period), it makes absolutely ZERO sense to bring him off the bench when the other team is STARTING their best offensive player at the same position.

It's called good coaching, something The Rockets don't have. Case in Point? Chuck Hayes gets a career high 8 assists Monday and never touches the ball Wednesday.

20. alverwi

alverwi Contributing Member

This is just plain wrong. He can sign with any team OTHER THAN THE CAVS right now. If he wants to sign with Cleveland he has to wait 30 days.