1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I think we need to get back to ugly ball (JVG Style)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tanlogic, Feb 24, 2010.

1. MandM's

MandM's Member

and i would add..."the reason we run Adelman's system"..... is because he is in fact the head coach of this team

2. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Pointless to resort back to JVG style ball when we don't have players who can knuckle down in the halfcourt set in either offense or defense.

We're too vertically limited in the C position defensively to grind it out forever.
    We're too post-challenged in the halfcourt set to feed it in there every posession.

The running game is our best bet at the moment, and there's no shame in losing when your number 1 option in defense and offense (Ming) is sitting on the bench, along with your number 1 option as a bench spark (Lowry).
    Throw in your swing man (Ariza) and that's 3 key rotation players missing - tough to overcome for any team.

Players have to do the best they can this season, grow in their games and we go from there.

3. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

The reason that style worked was Tmac and Yao were most of the offense.

4. Artesticles

Artesticles Member

Aren't you missing a few important factors? JVG's supporting cast back then was from CD... ugh. Give him a few years with Morey, and he'd be doing a lot better.

If JVG was coaching this team, I think we're a little better.

5. Precision340

Precision340 Member

I wouldn't go as far as to say top 5, mainly without Yao plugging up the middle, but yeah, I will agree that they wouldn't be this bad either with JVG.. it'll be interesting to see where they rank next year with Yao back in the lineup

6. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

clearly, i am talking to a bunch that knows nothing about defense. the defense is effort, mentality, and desire. well, what i read is that rox can't play good defense coz we don't have certain player. blablabla.

when talking about a bad offense team, ppl always say they don't have star or very good players. on the other side, when talking about a poor defense team, ppl say they don't play defense. can you see the difference?

7. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

JVG had Yao Ming and Mutombo. Yao Ming has more talent in his pinky than Brooks does in his whole body. Mutombo had more defensive presence in his thumb than Hayes does in his whole body.

You may say that team was talented, but Yao Ming and Mutombo were very talented. It was top heavy.

8. LewLLOYD

LewLLOYD Member

I for one really miss watching our tough hustling undermanned too short team.
    Maybe we never were going anywhere, but we were awesome to watch and root for, and I was always excited for the upset and never upset when we lost.

Now with Martin, he seems to tip the scales so we are a totally different kind of team. Granted, we can be good, probably better than the team before the trade. And especially next year, with Yao back, knock on wood, I see the obvious value of the trade. But that still doesn't change how much I miss the chemistry we had before the trade, back early season when we were doing really well.

9. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

One thing is for certain, this team needs to re-learn that the definition of defense is not the time you kill between shooting jumpers at the other end.

10. Corpusfan

Corpusfan Member

No Yao. No Ariza. No Lowry. Landry traded. A new shooting guard in the lineup. It's not rocket science. The losses have less to do with the team "being figured out" by other teams than they do with the Rockets being severely undermanned. The only thing that would be surprising would be if they had won any of these recent games. Patience. All will improve.

11. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

Lets do like football and hire JVG as our defensive coordinator :)

12. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Contributing Member

Well, the record was much better with Tracy and without Yao than vice versa.

I found an article dated 3/9/07 that referred to a 20-12 record without Yao at that time.

I'm sick of Hoosiers "feel-good" ball. I want to win. I don't care if the score is 10-9. Winning is what matters!

13. roslolian

roslolian Member

What?

Under JVG our best players were Shane, rookie Chuck and Luther Head.

Compare that with Kevin Martin, Aaron Brooks and Scola.

Fair comparison there Durv.

14. BetterThanEver

Rockets got to the 2nd round of the playoffs, last year. The Rockets were better with Yao and without Tracy than vice versa. They were one game from defeating the eventual NBA champs. They were better than the 06-07 Rockets with T-mac and without Yao.

15. choujie

choujie Member

Not saying who's better between RA/JVG, but JVG had JHO/ Rafer as the first option after Tmac/Yao was down and Moochie Nooris as backup. Talent level is not even close.

16. BetterThanEver

Mutombo was better than Chuck and started for 33 games.
    Alston was better than Head and was the starter.

17. engr_alex

engr_alex Member

it's quite convenient for you not to mention that you had a brooks blowing up offensively rather than rafer, and a tremendously improved scola/landry combo last year.

18. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That wasn't JVG... Fact is Tracy refuses to play any other style...

19. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

I really would love o hire JVG back.

I think he is a much better announcer than Clyde. He could be the color guy. Oh but you probably meant as a coach. Nope to that.

20. BetterThanEver

Brooks blowing up was a result of being the #1 ball handler, when T-Mac would sit out games. Brooks scoring shot up after T-Mac shut it down for the rest of the season. If T-Mac had played all 82 games, you can bet Brooks wouldn't have scored nearly as many points in the same games that T-Mac was out.

Scola/Landry benefited from T-Mac being out. Compare their scoring in games with T-mac and without T-Mac. T-Mac took away alot of shots from them.