1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeffries has already won me over...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets018, Feb 21, 2010.

Tags:
  1. DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver Member

You must've missed the global euphoria after the T-Mac disposal. ;)

2. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Jeffries -- Six inches taller than Hayes.
    Jeffries -- 60% free throw shooter, Hayes 50%
    Jeffries -- Solid defense, poor offense; same as Hayes
    Jeffries -- Decent shot blocker; decent, uh, on-court presence
    Jeffries -- Overpaid and longer contract than Hayes.

Oops, I think we should give hero's praise to Hayes, who has played way over his head during his entire Rockets career, and put a soft pillow on the bench for him. However, sorry Chuck, his minutes need to be awarded to Jeffries now and Jordan Hill later.

3. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

"Talent":

Physical tools- Hill >> JJ

Skills/production: Hill (who supposedly to outsiders is "raw") averaged over 18 ppg, and 11 rpg , JJ his best season, 15 ppg, over 7ppg

You still fail buddy.

4. ckfol

ckfol Member

I think too many people here are stat whores. College game has changed so much in the last 10 years with changes in draft rules, and Hill was on a very weak Arizona team that didn't even make it to sweet-16(bud was on the team as well). There's a reason why d'anotoni didn't play him, and I doubt Adelman will play him at all. I am not saying Jeffries is a great player, I am just saying he's a veteran that can fit with the rockets. As for Hill, until he play decent minutes, he's just a cannon fodder.

As for Isiah, he's a terrible GM that gave terrible contracts to players like JJ, but he also has a decent eye for talent with T-mac, camby, stoudamire, David lee as past picks.

5. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

Well, in this case, stats DO matter, especially if you're arguing relative "talent" and skills, and especially when a supposed "raw" and "unskilled" big man like Hill is involved in the discussion.

As for Arizona in the tourney last year, no one following Arizona closely were surprised that they sqeaked into the tourney and went all the way to Sweet 16, but none of them were surprised that they lost to a much more talented Loiusiville team. Arizona had NO bench. NONE.
    Regardless, that point has nothing to do with Hill, who did more than his part and beyond what was needed. So don't use that fact -that's grabbing at straws.

The statement "Jordan Hill is no where near the talent JJ" just doesn't have an factual validity and every scouting report can tell you that.
    Hill has more potential and already has more to offer offensively than JJ does.

6. ededdeddie

ededdeddie Member

he needs to finish at the rim and smash that! plus play a bit smarter in foul trouble situations.

7. Rocket94-95

Rocket94-95 Member

people keep forgetting that it was Mr. Isiah Thomas who gave Jeffries the bad contract, that just one of the reasons why is was fired by the knicks; anyways jeffries is a decent backup player for the 4 spot, potentially even the 5; he can block shots, alter shots, his long and athletic, can grab boards, but needs to works on finishing strong near the rim, can shoot the 3

8. DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver Member

JJ can shoot 3's??

9. hunter399

hunter399 Member

He looks good in practice. He's a great guy too.

10. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

JJ can rebound???

11. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Lol, this post is legendary. :grin:
    Quoted and Repped.

12. ROCKCITY

ROCKCITY Member

This chick thinks otherwise. And she's seen Jared Jefferies more than most people here in Clutchfans. Shouldn't get too caught up in one game, it's like saying Tmac is back to elite level after his performance on Saturday.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9DxBwQIOKeM&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9DxBwQIOKeM&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

13. ROCKCITY

ROCKCITY Member

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hlJlqjWzwM0&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hlJlqjWzwM0&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Oh lord, yes. No one should blame Jeffries for being overpaid. You can place that at the feet of Isiah Lord Thomas III and JJ's agent. One has to wonder if there has ever been a GM quite as bizarre and incompetent as Mr. Lord Thomas III. There have been others as incompetent and others as bizarre, but not another that equals the combined idiocy of this particular goofus.

I like it when you post in the GARM or Hangout, basso. It's possible to have a conversation with you. :)

15. devin23

devin23 Member

Man if he didn't have such value in expiring contract, Hayes would become so expandible.

16. valorita

valorita Member

can't describe him any better imo!

17. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

seriously, that chick is better than 99% of the women we have working in sports, knowledge wise and looks wise.

18. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Jeffries will win me over when he changes his name to the proper spelling:

[​IMG]

19. PeppermintCandy

Thanks for the post. I enjoyed that.

But one thing I've noticed is that she doesn't talk at all about Jeffries' defense, which is what he's supposedly better known for. It's like complaining about Chuck Hayes for his layup misses and FT% without mentioning anything else.

Then again, if Chuck had Jared Jeffries' contract, we'd all be complaining too. :p

I'm hoping that Kyle Lowry and Jeffries will develop some chemistry on the second unit this and next season. Especially, I think Lowry can help Jeffries make more layups because Kyle is great at passing the ball to teammates so that they receive it in rhythm and in position to score.

20. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Agree 100% Jeffries makes Hayes expendable. Start giving Hill a few minutes a game this season and then release Hayes and Armstrong this summer. Jeffries backs up Scola and Yao with Hill getting additional minutes next year.