1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeffries has already won me over...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets018, Feb 21, 2010.

Tags:
  1. fitchjs

fitchjs Member

Jeffries has won me over too, actually it already had before he got here!

I was hoping we got him when his name first came up, and here is why.

Every championship team has had their stars.......and role players, who were both needed.

Jeffries is a very good role player, who plays defense and is long and plays with hustle and effort.

He is a perfect role player for this team, who will play his role hard and without complaining. He can play 3 big positions depending on the match up and has even defended big gaurds well.

Yes he probably will not be a starter, unless of injury, but will be a very good role player, which all teams need.

I for one am glad he is here ............ and I do believe others appreciation for his value will grow as time passes.

2. baldeagle40

baldeagle40 Member

By no means am I "knee jerking" to anything I've seen with our new Rockets----But it is nice to see that we CAN use him. It would suck to have 7 mil just sitting on the bench!!!

I haven't seen if Hill has gotten some time in the last 2 games-so I don't know anything about him.

Excited to see Martin here, but not shocked that he looks uncomfortable so far.-----The whole team looks out of it, no flow, bad defense, etc.

I don't expect anything from Armstrong except garbage minutes, and he won't be back next year anyway.

They are all going to need some practice and adjustment to each other before we can move on as a team again. I just hope we don't backslide too far in the process.

All that said--welcome Jeffries! We like your effort!

Let's Go Rockets!!!!

3. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Another Tiger Woods moment.

Jeffries is a competitor and can contribute on this team. He gives us length and can cover multiple positions. He will frustrate many on this board with his missed layups but he plays hard and makes the Landry loss a little less painful.

I hope hill can contribute too but something about him makes me think he won't amount to much.

4. Summer Song Giver

A rich man's Ryan Bowen?

5. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

The big reason why Mike played him so much was to raise his value to trade him. If he didn't have Jeffries, he would have played Hill a lot more.

6. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Sorry Clutch but up here in Dallas that's EXACTLY what has been said about Eric Dampier and he is an absolute joke although I do so like it when the Mavericks serve up spin about him being a "presence in the paint". Can't wait to see that line coming from the Rockets about Jeffries.

7. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Apples, meet oranges.

Les Alexander didn't give Jared Jeffries a 7 year, 73 million dollar contract.

8. HillBoy

Oranges meet reality: Nowhere did I say that Alexander gave Jeffries that contract (although CD certainly would have done so) although you are welcome to show me where you think I said so. But, and here is my point for you once more: Up here they are saying (and have been saying for years) the same thing about Eric Dampier - that if you OVERLOOK his contract, then he is actually a good deal. Why, he gives the Mavericks size and a defensive precence in the paint. I chose leave out the "he clogs up the middle" cliche because that one has been done to death.

9. ckfol

ckfol Member

I am impressed by jeffries especially if Yao regain his form. Isiah does have an eye for talent and he does everything well except for shooting the ball. With Yao and martin around, he can be a vital clog with the rockets. Don't surprised he is resigned next year especially if its in the 2-3million range. Jordan Hill is no where near the talent JJ is and I think he will probably traded in the summer. There's also a good chance scola could be traded as well if rockets are successful in pursuing bosh or amare.

10. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I'm sorry I'm just not seeing the comparison because they are entirely different situations.

Nobody needs to overlook anything with Jeffries. He's not long-term, he's here for next season and then he becomes more appealing as an expiring contract.

We don't look at Jared Jeffries and wonder why he's making so much money, we didn't have anything to do with that.

He's just a piece in the cap puzzle who happens to be a decent stopgap for our struggling defense.

1 person likes this.
  11. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

He's not a very explosive athlete but certainly a better one than David Anderson..

12. Rocketsamballer

That's for sure. Even though it was nice to see such a tall line up last night with Temple, Martin, Ariza, Jeffries and Andersen, you gotta wonder when Andersen is going to find himself riding the bench. I would like to see his minutes split between Armstrong and Hill/Hayes, but we'll see.

13. HillBoy

Now on that you are right. I fully expect Hill to take Jeffries' place at the end of the bench next season. Sorry to be so snippy but I have reached my limit on the Rockets' seeming endless parade of big bodies who can't play. Something about the likes of Mo Taylor, Eddie Griffin, Chucky Brown, Mark Bryant, Stromile Smith, et. al. that still leaves a bad taste although DD would tell you that I am still bitter about the Otis Thorpe trade...

14. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

Fail.

Jared is NOWHERE near the athlete and offensive player that Hill is, and they're about even defensively right now

15. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

No worries man, I know what you mean.

Rockets basketball circa 2010 has not been fun to watch for us passionate fans.

Heres hoping Jordan Hill gets some good mentoring and develops a Chuck Hayes work ethic.

16. DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver Member

I haven't seen enough of JJ to form an opinion on him. But judging from the way he shoots, he would not work well alongside Yao.

But I definitely don't agree with your opinion about Isiah's "eye for talent" statement Just look at the mess he left in NY. Isiah is a great player but a terrible GM.

17. ckfol

ckfol Member

JJ was 2000 Mr indian basketball player of the year, and in 2002 lead hoosier to the NCAA finals. I think people value draft picks way too much, and hill was drafted in a weak draft for big men. Hill remind me of Joe alexander, who is a great athlete but is too raw to be developed as NBA player. He could become a great player on a young team who could afford to play him a couple of years, but definitely not the rockets. I think he's a trade piece too morey just like he was in New York.

18. camontes85

camontes85 New Member

The negative tone of every response to ANY forum topic just amazes me everyday. Everyday. Lighten up dudes.

19. DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver Member

I don't know if all the collegiate accolades mean much to the development of player's NBA career. Just look at Adam Morrison, College Player of the Year and all that. Now he sits at the end of Laker's bench.

JJ's been around the league for a while and if he has not found his niche by now, he probably never will amount to much.

20. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

isaiahdog millionaire?