1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Amare Trade that wasn't

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Kwame, Feb 21, 2010.

?

Did the Rockets do the right thing?

1. Scenario A: Rockets did the right thing by not agreeing to waive physicals

36.3%
  2. Scenario A: Rockets should've waived the physicals

20.4%
  3. Scenario B: Rockets did the right thing by rejecting Phoenix's offer

22.1%
  4. Scenario B: Rockets should've accepted Phoenix's offer

15.0%
  5. I want Chris Bosh

44.7%
  6. What the hell is Kwame talking about?

9.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

According to ESPN.com's J.A. Adande an unnamed source told him:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4924306

If scenario A is true, should the Rockets have waived the physical to get Amare in exchange for the players named above?

If scenario B is true, did the Rockets make a mistake by not doing this deal?

I don't know if Amare would've walked away from $17.7 guaranteed next year, but there is the possibility that he would've opted out at the end of the season and the Rockets would've been left with nothing. Still, however, worst case scenario would've been over $16 million off the books.

If Houston did do the deal and Amare did exercise his option for 2010-11, the Rockets lineup would've looked like this:

Brooks/Lowry
    Martin/Budinger
    Ariza/Jeffries
    Amare/Hayes or Jeffries
    Yao/Andersen/Hill

A weak bench, but a starting lineup that could compete with anyone.

1 person likes this.
  2. jzmagic

jzmagic Member

No garuntee that amare would have resigned here. Wasn't worth the risk imo.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Exactly, Amare can opt out and leave the Rockets high and dry, with no guaranteed extension no way you do that deal.

DD

4. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

"IF" These reports are true, there's no reason why this deal could not still go thru in the summer. I was under the impression that physicals could be done after the deadline and won't stop a trade from happening, unless of course someone fails their exam.

5. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

Amare has an iffy history with injuries in the end, and I suspect that Morey wasn't interested in trading for Amare only to discover somehow two weeks later that something actually was wrong with his retina or something. Add the possibility of him not sticking around here, and I think it's an acceptable move.

< Good. >

6. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

If Amare didnt resign, its Jordan Hill as the only power forward...with less draft picks to work with.

There's also the issue of Amare not co-existing with another legit center. Scola himself might not come back, who knows and still just leave Jordan Hill as the PF. But for half a season rental giving away Scola, Battier and picks for a clean look, dont see how it was worth it.

7. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

8. Kwame

Yeah, I remember that thread, but I thought I would put up a poll after all the dust had settled and all the trades had been finalized to see what people thought. I didn't realize Miami had cleared that much cap space for next year either so there might be more of a chance than I thought that Amare might opt out. I'm not sold on Bosh. He seems a tad too soft when things get really physical in the playoffs while Amare has gone deep and performed well in the post-season while not appearing soft. On another note, I'm glad you've come around regarding Battier. If the mods feel that this thread is too repetitive, please feel free to lock it.

9. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

this is a not so cleverly disguised "get rid of battier" thread. He knows fans will likely vote in favor of the trade. For him that means he'll be able to claim that most fans want Battier to be shipped out. He'll finish by saying how glad he is everyone is starting to come around and he can't wait until the day battier is no longer a rocket..

He also made it a public poll, in hopes that "battier lovers" will vote no for this trade and then he can blast them for it by reasoning that they like battier too much to agree to this deal...

10. D-rock

D-rock Member

Rockets should have waived the physical, but countered with a trade that did not include Scola. Cook, Battier, future picks and filler should have been enough.

11. Artesticles

Artesticles Member

Forget the physical issue. As much as you hate Battier, we're not going to package him, Scola, and other pieces for a few months of Amare. We're still not a championship team if that trade goes down.

12. Kwame

This has nothing to do with him. I should've indicated as such in the original post, but all I wanted to know is what people thought looking back and reflecting on this trade that wasn't. I didn't mention him in my original post. I only provided the quote from the Adande article that brings up the pieces that would've been involved. This thread is about the Rockets and Amare not the guy you said you love. Stay focused and please provide us with your opinion by participating in the poll. Thanks!

13. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I don't know who offered the trade first. I think it was probably a close call debated internally, and I can see the downside either way.

The Rockets played it safe; they probably feel confident they can upgrade the talent level in the front-court for next season, but even if they don't sign that big-name player they've got other assets at their disposal.

The expiring contracts of Battier and Jeffries (together about 14 million) could get the Rockets a nice player towards the trade deadline next year.

14. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I tend to believe that Phoenix made the offer and Morey rejected. Doesnt make sense to trade all those assets for a non guaranteed resign. Plus thats too much value for Morey, he is very stingy in trades.

15. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

true, but my issue with that is at some point we need to finalize the core of this roster. We can't keep waiting for the deadline to make siginificant moves, only to need 10-15 games to mesh and even then it may not be enough. I think they'll try to pull of a big move this summer, so they'll have a set roster for the year, for the most part anyway

16. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

You would think.. and from what our insiders have hinted at (Stevierebel), Amare has said he doesn't want to play in Houston.

...then why the hell does Morey keep going after him? I could only think of two explanations.

1) He was hoping to convince him not to opt out of his contract, and making a title run with Amare/Yao/Martin for the 2010 season, with Yao/Amare expiring afterwards if it didn't work.

2) He's willing to offer Amare the max. Amare may not be able to get that in Miami, as much as they want him. It would leave Miami with no money for other FAs besides Wade, which still would just be Wade/Amare/Beasley and cast offs. I have a feeling Morey is going to go after Amare hard this summer and offer a max deal based on a SnT involving Battier/Jeffries and draft picks.

17. CaptainRox

CaptainRox Member

I hope this deal comes through this summer.

18. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

My interest in Amare was contingent upon the idea that Phoenix was essentially ready to give him away (i.e. the rumored Hickson + rights to buyout Big Z package). Clearly, that's not the case here. We would have been giving up too much and, frankly, would have been out of our minds to execute a trade without the prerequisite physical.

19. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

I don't care anymore that he has an axe to grind about Battier. Let him, it's his right as a fan. I didn't like the Steve Francis ISO era, big deal. The only problem is that he's been yammering about Battier for so long, that his opinion can only be taken with a grain of salt.

And no Kwame, I haven't "finally" come around on Battier. I always knew his shortcomings but also tempered it with how he helps on the right type of team. On a young team still learning their roles, not as much. On a veteran team with superstars, yes Battier can help that team.

20. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

wow whats with your mancrush on battier? and you're so paranoid you think every thread is secretly about trading battier. your recent increase in battier defending activity indicates to me battier is indeed SUCKINGGGGGG lately.

1 person likes this.