1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

My Beef With Brooks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Hak34, Feb 20, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

okay....a bunch of loyal blind Brooks jock sniffers before we even get to respond. And Brooks maybe doesnt want to get better...

This one's simple. Brooks gets a bit of hype but doesnt get paid nearly the same. People act like contracts, draft position and prestige doesnt matter, its ONLY about whats on the floor. But we know thats not the case. We always see the big money players getting the most criticism. Or people like Battier getting extra criticism due to the outgoing cost of acquiring him.

On just critiquing the actual skills and removing those elements, agree. Brooks doesnt do good enough in the pure point guarding similar to others that got chastised for the same thing.

When someone addresses others as homers or "lovers", sometimes it indicates that someone has a strong feeling themselves towards a particular player. Or equally strong preference to something else. Like Lowry-lover vs Brooks homer. Sure hope its not what it is.

2. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Give me a break. I'll take Brooks and his non-PG skills over some unproven Euro PG any day of the week.

3. yearning

yearning Rookie

TP is not a good 3-point shooter and he uses close shots much more. I would say Lowry's game is more similar to TP's.

Brooks = DJ Augustin with 30+ minutes.

4. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Wasnt terry the starter on a finals team? Terry just accepted his role in dirk's shortcomings. How many finals have those pure pg's been to? Like DD mentioned , go look at adelmans track record and find the lowry type pg.

5. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Much of it to me is he is trying too hard. Trying too hard to be the savior in situations where we have to score. Letting his young years feed his adrenaline rather than experience feed his wisdom. He may never be a 10 assist guy, but I think in time, his decision making skills will improve.

6. pdewalt

pdewalt Member

This team still needs a solid PG period but if I have to choose between Brooks and Lowry to run the team then it would be Lowry. But to be honest both of them are prone to make bad decisions, it just appears that Brooks's miscues happen to hurt the team the most. Brooks is rarely in the middle regarding his play either he is extremely on or extremely off. We can't live like that and expect to be a contender in the near future. Down the stretch Brooks's greatest strength, his speed, was nullified by Ford's speed and it showed on both ends of the floor.

7. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Awesome. It's great to have a poster on the board who is more analytical than Morey, a better evaluator of talent than Morey, and has more resources than the entire Houston Rockets organization.

You're an idiot.

8. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

Brooks is the starter this year and next, probably. With Yao back, Brooks will be deadly and even more efficient.

You cannot leave Brooks open from distance. He will make you pay. You can't sag of him, which leaves lanes for Martin and space for Yao to operate.

Lowry is important, maybe critical. But don't discount Brooks.

9. aeolus13

aeolus13 Contributing Member

OK, you're right. Brooks sucks.

Please, enlighten us as to where we can find a point guard who does all the things Brooks does plus all the things you think he ought to do for the same amount we're paying Brooks, and one that we can pick up for nothing more than a late first rounder. Our esteemed general manager will get right on it.

10. tested911

tested911 Member

The fact that Adelman puts Lowry at the point and moves AB to the two proves something...

I still believe AB is a better all NBA player but I don't trust his PG abilities in the 4th. Game after game we see in the 4th qtr a breakdown when AB has to close it out.. Hopefully with K-mart we can get another type of closer..

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Exactly, having two closers like Brooks and Martin on the floor makes the team much more deadly.

If the defense only has to focus on one guy it is much easier.....remember Tmac and his 4th quarter failings?

Now we have 2 players who can create and score late in Martin and Brooks, much better situation.

Tony Parker and Manu Ginobli...move over, Aaron Brooks and Kevin Martin are in the new sheriffs in town.

DD

12. jEXCLUSIVE

jEXCLUSIVE Member

I think I'm getting too old for the GARM...

13. DaDakota

Dude, tell me about it.

DD

14. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Good Luck Leebigex.....

I gave up a while back......

Some of these guys don't understand what they have... The media knows, other NBA exec know.. but our fans have no idea... This is his 1st... again 1st Full Year as the starting point guard and he's already turning a lot of heads.

15. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

I second that.... Think I may potetion for Clutch to have a GARM for those older than 30...

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

While I agree that trading Brooks is a terrible idea (with all due respect to Entropy), I find the comparison of Kyle to Rafer to be way, way off base. Brooks had a bad second half. It happens. He isn't nearly the defender Lowry is, who could have made life miserable for Ford when he went off on the Rocks in front of family and friends in his home town. Obviously, he also isn't the offensive threat Brooks is, who gives nightmares to coaches trying to prepare for the Rocks. As for Alston, Kyle's shooting a better FG percentage and at the line (getting to the line much more, as well), out rebounding him, has the same number of assists in fewer minutes, steals are a wash, fewer turnovers, scoring more in fewer minutes (with fewer attempts), playing better defense. Heck, the only area Rafer is better at is 3 point percentage, and Kyle takes about half as many attempts.

Terrible comparison. Oh, and almost forgot... he rarely takes the stupid shot out of the flow of the offense, an Alston specialty. We miss him and we need him. Temple is a decent 1 on the end of the bench, but at 6'6", he couldn't stay with Ford. We'll just have to make do until Lowry returns. We don't have an alternative. Talking about who should start, who should be traded is simply nuts, as is comparing Lowry to Alston, with all due respect. Talking about getting Llull as an answer is a discussion about the future, which is an interesting discussion, but not in the context of this thread.

We'll just have to hope we can quickly work in the new guys, especially Martin, in time to make a run to that last playoff spot. That, and not falling behind too much until that happens and Lowry returns. What choice do we have? It's all part of the game, trades and injuries.

I figured the board would be berserk after last night, so I just stayed away. Good choice.

17. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Coach does that because the rockets have no players who can break a defense down and get a shot. Brooks can do it and lowry can break a guy down, but the rest are standstill players. In this league, no mater what fancy offense you want to run, opposing defenders have to respect guys off the dribble. Other team only respect brooks and lowry in that case. With martin getting up to speed, teams will have to respect him as a scorer from anywhere on the court at anytime.

There are too many of you locked into this traditional role of position without understanding basic basketball. Its not just about brooks and lowry, its about the whole concept of creating angles and mismatches to get points. I dont care what universe you live in, lowry isnt a better player than brooks. Now if you want to bring brooks down by saying pure pg and other words,cool, but teams gameplan brooks. When teams gameplan for a player, that says alot about how good or poor a player is. Teams will now elevate martin to 2nd threat on the team and gameplan for him. Brooks is a boderline all star and lowry isnt even close. I think lowry is a starter on the right team, but only a couple of teams. Brooks could start on way more teams and be successful vs lowry. We could get into that debate all day everyday.

18. DaDakota

Ford has been pretty bad all year, he had a good game in front in his home town.

It happens, he was not blowing by Brooks he was shooting jumpers and hitting them.....sometimes you have to tip your hat to the other guy.

The Lowry and Rafer comparison is an exageration to prove a point.....you can not be one dimensional in the NBA, you need to be a scoring threat, guys who can not score the ball efficiently at the PG spot are cancerous in the playoffs as their weaknesses are exposed even further.

Look at Lowry's pathetic playoff stats from last year to understand my meaning...team's scout and let him shoot, it is a bad idea to have Kyle Lowry as a starter....

Really bad.....

DD

19. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Brooks is a good PG. He has improved over last year as far as dishing the ball. But his style is different than someone who will direct a half court offense and run the plays.

He is actually pretty good at penetrate and dish style of delivering the ball. I think his size is the main culprit.

That doesn't mean there aren't times when he makes poor decisions. OF course he does. So does Deron Williams, but Brooks does the right thing more often than not.

To use one example after a disappointing loss, and ignore the rest of this year's output from Brooks isn't really a great observation.

20. Entropy

Entropy Member

I'd rather keep Brooks than trade him away. But if we had to in order to get a great PF, I would not be that sad about it.