1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[OFFICIAL] Rockets get Kevin Martin\Hill\Jeffries\Armstrong + 2 NY picks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by thegame_2234, Feb 18, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

This deal says to me that Morey and apparently Les Alexander have given up on this season. :(

Granted, we knew this was an experimental/development season since July, but the fact that we've given up our best post player for a swingman certainly doesn't fill me with prospects for this season. Granted we needed more scoring from the SG/SF position, but the loss of Landry leaves you with Scola alone as the scoring big man.

Andersen has shown glimpses of being such, but is very much a rookie like Budinger (except old and used to a different style of B-Ball). Brian Cook, who couldn't out play either Andersen or Dorsey to get a wiff of playing time outside of garbage time? The new guys we get in the deal are legit bench players, who save their contracts probably would have been out of the NBA before this season?

It literally is now all on Scola now and while I love Luis, there was a reason it was known as SCOLANDRY, they were a double threat Luis with the hustle or finesse and Carl with the explosion or power. Now, our team's strongest position is just like all the others, wanting.

Time will tell if Morey did it again, but right now, I'm left saying damn, damn and triple damn.

2. zongda

zongda New Member

it's miraculous. i can't wait to playoff.

3. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

To be quite honest, I don't know.

NIKESTRAD may be right that the 2011 pick swap obligation would just go away, but neither of us knows for certain.

Apparently, someone said that Rich Lord think the 2012 pick obligation goes away entirely if the Knicks pick in the top 5. That just CAN'T be right. I am almost positive that it would be deferred to 2013 or 2014. Would it be unprotected at that point? I don't know that, either.

I have asked Jonathan Feigen to double-check with the Rockets' front office and post it on his blog.

Clutch, I would ask the same of you. We're ALL dying to know the answers to these questions.

4. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

Do you even watch the NBA? Have you even seen Kevin Martin play or are you just talking outta ur ass?

5. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

im excited for martin's debut. hopefully he'll play much better than he has with the kings.

6. ibm

ibm Member

i know what martin can do,but know very little about jordan. what is his potential?

7. Karolik

Karolik Member

I'm scared..very scared that Kevin could turn out like Ron Artest did when he came to houston. A 5 percent fg percentage drop would bring his fg percentage to 35 percent. :eek:

8. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

People here have said Bosh Light, but he doesn't have the range or footwork. I think worst-case scenario: Dale Davis, best-case scenario: Jermaine O'Neal

9. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Has anyone mentioned the team just lost their newly elected Player's Union leader? (or whatever the title Dorsey got was....) :p

10. Dreamlead

Dreamlead Member

I found an answer for the 2012 pick. I'm guessing the 2011 swap would disappear but nothing really is written.

"If the Knicks should somehow remain in the top five of the draft for four years, the pick will convert to two second-round picks in 2015."

Here's the link to the Chron article by Jonathan Feigen.
    http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/6872624.html

11. BarkleyHater84

Maybe this should get it's own thread:
    Keep an open mind:

Tracy McGrady's Games Played in Houston stint
    GP GS
    04-05 HOU 78 78
    05-06 HOU 47 47
    06-07 HOU 71 71
    07-08 HOU 66 62
    08-09 HOU 35 35
    09-10 HOU 6 0

Kevin Martin Games Played in Sacramento stint
    04-05 SAC 45 0
    05-06 SAC 72 41
    06-07 SAC 80 80
    07-08 SAC 61 57
    08-09 SAC 51 46
    09-10 SAC 22 21

The guy doesn't have an NBA body!! Why do it to ourselves again? For 3 more seasons! :( :( :(

12. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Great catch!

Okay, so we're looking at top-5 protection for the PICK obligation in 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015, at which time is becomes two second round picks.

Frankly, I can live with that. The odds that the Knicks will get a top-5 pick four years in a row is so slim, no matter HOW bad they are.

I also assume, by its omission, that the 2011 pick swap simply goes away if the Knicks get the #1 pick that year.

Oh, well. It's still a FANTASTIC trade.

13. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

you do know martin has averaged like 23 ppg on only 15 field goal attempts per game for the last 3 years, right ?

14. tested911

tested911 Member

On top of him being on of the most efficient scorers in the whole league is probably the fact that he cost HALF! of T-mac's contract so that kinda worth it.

15. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

That's going to make watching the lottery drawing next year REALLY stressful. Imagine if it comes down to the Knicks and another team for that the final spot. I won't even be able to watch.

16. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

Morey and his brilliant team of doctors performed numerous tests and found out none of those injuries were chronic, meaning, they were just fluke injuries. With T-Mac, it was the same injuries happening multiple times. With Kevin Martin, Morey knew that those injuries would not effect him long term.

17. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

So not worth giving up Carl Landry to spite Tracy McGrady. Knicks will have good teams once they sign one of the big name free-agents plus resign McGrady to a smaller deal; ridding themselves of Eddy Curry next season won't hurt them much.So I imagine the draft pick and swap won't mean much except getting a #20-30 pick.

1 person likes this.
  18. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

The picks will be gone by then. Almost certainly they will be used in a sign and trade in the offseason. Even if they are both pick #31, the trade was still fantastic.

We all loved Landry but we werent contenders next year with him, now we are. Your constant bashing of this trade makes me believe you either don't know who Kevin Martin is or you are vastly overating Landry.

19. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

that sucks. i guess we will see what happens

20. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

i dont think its a given at all that they give up those picks. i think its important though what happens to yao. if they think that he can be the player he was for 3 or 4 more years they may. but if he cant i think they will start over and then after you have the drafting of those players you will have in a few years scola, brooks, martin, ariza, budinger, and lowry being the veterans and the 4 1st round picks this team is due in the 3 seasons being the youth. i think its a toss up in what happens.