1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets to acquire Kevin Martin (UPDATE: 3-Way Deal Reached)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Feb 18, 2010.

1. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

Rockets GM Daryl Morey has long been enamored with Martin, and kept pushing for a deal between the two teams. Morey knew Martin had become unhappy in Sacramento, sources said, and that the Kings shooting guard was struggling to adjust playing alongside rookie point guard Tyreke Evans. Martin didn’t feel like his talents were compatible with Evans, and struggled to defer to him.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_y...?slug=ys-kingstrade021710&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

if he struggled and was unhappy b/c he couldn't defer to a rookie star...

2. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

I have never seen you write one positive thing about the Rockets, ever.

3. Karolik

Karolik Member

Aaron Brooks :rolleyes:

4. RaferMadness

RaferMadness Rookie

he has tmac in his name what do you expect...

5. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Jordan Hill and Hilton Armstrong or almost interchangeable. Jeffries is not an asset he is why NY was willing to give us a firstround pick. Oh and the knicks neverintended to give us unprotected picks.

So really it boils down to do you think Martin is better than Tmac and Landry.

I personally think Tmac will be better than Martin for a few years. But he was a jerk while he was here and wasn't going to play. So the real question is 2 parts is Tmac worth trading for armstrong and Sergio and is Martin better than Landry. The first is probably yes and the second is definetely Yes.

I love Landry but I think he has peaked. The best that he has depends on his athleticism and that will be good for a few more years if he doesn't have anymore injuries. I love the guy and will miss him but I think we need Martin more.

1 person likes this.
  6. t_mac1

kings still come out as the big winners. they get the draft picks + landry + cap-space for max player.

knicks get tmac + cap-space for 2 max players

we get an injury-prone SG who couldn't defer to a rookie (though it may change playing with adelman) and an unknown rookie.

i rate the kings as the winner, knicks 2nd, and us third still. that's not robbery.

7. Shovel Face

Shovel Face Member

Yeah. And reuniting him with Adleman will do wonders.

8. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

You think the Kings would have done the deal if it were Cook and not Landry? There's no way in hell.

9. t_mac1

uh, read some more bro. i was one of the few who claimed this team WITHOUT YAO AND TMAC would get 50 wins earlier in the season.

this was a steal for morey if landry wasn't included, as i thought originally, and again proclaimed his "genius."

and it would be a steal if he took the original knicks' offer.

this was just a lateral trade at most, which is not what morey has been saying. i'm hopeful he will flip something in the offseason for a star player like amare/bosh.

10. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

I been watching the last 2 Kings game and let me tell you, Martin suck ass out there and the Kings does not have an interior player that can cause damage. I have no doubt the Kings are frustrated that Martin is not playing well with Tyreke Evans and desperately wanna to use Martin to improve the team. And as a semi-Kings fan and 100% Rockets fan, after watching tonight's game, i was hoping Kings try to move Martin to get something that help them inside and low and behold...it's LANDRYYYY...OMG this is a ROBBING people!! You guys don't understand because you probably don't get to watch Kings game that much...but Martin don't PLAY DEFENSE AT ALL!!!

The trade help the Kings out tremendously i think. I think you guys are overrating Martin.....maybe he will be a better player playing for Rockets and i hope he will but from what i seen of the Kings game...that team is now belong to a rookie named Tyreke Evans...Martin is not the leader of that team anymore based on his recent games...

I was surprised that Kings get Landry for Martin....cuz i think based on Martin's recent game...it's not worthy of Landry.

11. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

This is the best move the Rockets could have made under these circumstances.

I can't believe anyone on Clutchfans still doubts Daryl Morey. Time and time again, ignorant armchair GMs criticize his moves, only to be proved wrong in time. If Daryl Morey does something, it has to be a good move.

Here's why it's good:

We trade from a position of strength and fill a position of need.
    We have a coach who has had success with Martin.
    He complements Yao and Lowry very well with his ability to get to the line (if the refs treat us even a little fairly we may lead the league in FT attempts)
    His defensive weakness can be hidden on a team with an elite wing defender+Yao (by having Martin guard the other team's lesser offensive wing).
    Martin is good enough to be a starter on a championship team.
    It is a good long-term financial move.
    Who is to say that the other players in the deal aren't underrated role players? You know, the same type that Morey has uncovered time and time again? Like Landry? Lowry? Scola? Budinger? etc.

This move, while it may hurt us this season, helps us next season. We weren't going to win a championship this season anyways, but this move helps us win one next year. I feel that a healthy Yao+healthy Martin+remaining elite role players is good enough for a WCF appearance. However, I feel we are one good move away from being a true championship contender. Who may that one good addition be?

How about:

PG: Lowry/Brooks (Lowry starting because now we have 4 offensive threats with him and Ginobili tends to handle the ball when he's on the court)
    SG: Martin/Budinger
    SF: Ariza/Ginobili
    PF: Scola/draft pick
    C: Yao/backup

Anyways, even if we're not a championship contender after this trade deadline, we have still moved closer to the ultimate goal while retaining flexibility to improve further in the future. That's better than a move that might make us better for now but make it impossible for us to win a championship. Anyone who thinks we could have gotten a better deal is probably overestimating the offers we were getting for Kneemac.

1 person likes this.
  12. Cannonball

1) You don't know what the original Knicks offer was. You only know what was reported which is often not quite accurate.

2) Since when does a trade have to be a steal to be beneficial?

3) If we traded a starting PF for a starting SG, I could see how it might be a lateral move. But we had 2 quality PFs and no shooting guards or go to wing players on our roster. We traded our backup PF for a starting SG and we still have our starting PF to pick up Landry's slack. That makes it a positive move, not a lateral one.

13. Aznoob

Aznoob Member

Gotta say no to Gino. He still puts up ok numbers, but his days are over as a legit threat.

14. jajayao

jajayao Member

Guess what? It has been quoted by NUMEROUS sources that Jordan Hill was in clearly part of the deal. The major sticking part was the 2012 level of protection.

Guess what else? I never said Jefferies was an asset. :rolleyes:

Feel free to quote me after the Kings trade with the Knicks.

15. bellclare1

bellclare1 Member

Man i hope we at least get ah draft pick out of this

16. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Quote from a Kingsfan...

"Landry is an awful defender. One of the worst defensive bigs in the league. Poor rebounder as well.

I don't mind trading Martin...but if people think a Chris Webber trade with our cap space is around the corner or some big FA is coming here, I've got a bridge to sell you."

Lol....They are going to be surprised...

17. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Well, a sixth man role for the mid-level exception would be just fine. There are probably better offers for him, but I wouldn't completely dismiss the idea.

18. Rocketsmith

Rocketsmith Member

I'm hoping that we include NY in a 3 way. We would get Hill and the Kings will take back Hughes, Jefferies and the Knicks 2012 first round draft pick. The Knicks would get T-Mac & Dorsey and possibly Rodriguez. We might still get the option to swap 2011 picks with the Knicks.

19. Aznoob

Aznoob Member

First thing is true.

20. Cannonball

There were also reports that they didn't want to include Hill or that they only wanted to include 2 of the 3 Hill, '11 pick, '12 pick. So it's really a matter of picking and choosing what report to believe or picking which one supports your argument.

The fact is that we don't know the specifics of the negotiations and the info we have is pure hearsay and isn't 100% reliable.