1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Knicks want McGrady long-term?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by swattx, Feb 12, 2010.

1. swattx

swattx Member

yeah i know, another t-mac trade thread but lock if already posted

2. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

ummm....only the knicks would even think about wanting tmac long term when nobody even knows what he has left anymore.

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

Who cares what McGrady or New York wants.

4. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

Why not? it is not that stupid idea. Guys like Bron or Wade may like to play with guy like McGrady who can become their playmaker.

And that would bring a lot of fans to Madison Square.

5. swattx

swattx Member

6. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Uh, as it affects what might come back to the Rox?

BTW - this Thread has roots in many NYKnixies threads. C'mon, 18th, arrive. And be done with thine self.

7. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

I hope Mcgrady passes the audition in Chicago. TMac needs to show Walsh enough for him to take him on for a 3 month engagement before thinking about a multi-year run.

8. h0uston83

h0uston83 Member

You got a point there - Jeff Who- I can see where N.Y. is taking this to- N.Y. may be able to sign Tmac for 10mil/year, or even less for 3 years (depending on his play), and then use him as a fan attraction or even a bait to lure other potential superstar(s).

- I like the thought of that. TMac still may have it. I can still see TMac playing an instrumental role for a contending team. He has all the smarts in the world to make his team better.

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

Who do you want from NY? Darko? Larry? Eddy? Jared? Cuttino? Real selection there. :rolleyes: And if it's the rumored 3 team trade, it appears we'd be getting pieces from Washington and maybe a piece(choose from above) from NY. If it's a straight up deal, well that's probably not the best deal in the first place. No need to cave in to what New York or what McGrady wants. New York is the team that wants, wants, wants, and gimme, gimme, gimme but don't want to give anything up.

10. wikiwiki

wikiwiki Member

They've been checking him out in Chicago, they probably have a better idea on what he has left than we do from his 42 mins on the season.

11. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I guess they think T-mac could be superstar bait.

12. mi0304

mi0304 Member

Give up Lebron project, and replace it with Tmac. That's original Knicks' stlye.

13. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Uh . . . that's why they want to trade for him in February and get a good, two-month look at him.

That is why the Rockets (IMHO) would be foolish, if they strike out on a trade to acquire a significant young talent, not to make one of the following simple deals with New York:

Option #1:
    McGrady for Al Harrington and Cuttino Mobley: Get the Rockets below the luxury tax, Harrington is a pretty good player to add to the rotation (and, who knows, maybe could be re-signed this summer if he fits well), and Mobley's insurance-covered contract should save Les at least another $2.7M in actual salary commitments.

However, the Knicks are still waiting on a ruling from the league regarding whether they can receive partial/total salary cap relief from Mobley's contract (which could save New York as much as $19M in salary and tax). If they get the relief, it is highly doubtful that they would trade that contract, instead likely opting to just waive him. In that case . . .

Option #2:
    McGrady and Brian Cook for Al Harrington and Larry Hughes: This trade also gets the Rockets JUST below the tax threshold. While not young or sensational, Harrington (see comments above) and Hughes are both at least decent players. Hughes, while not much of a shooter, is an athletic defender and a decent scorer at the SG position, where the Rockets are sorely lacking.

Option #3:
    McGrady for Al Harrington, Darko Milicic and Toney Douglas: This trade gets the Rockets below the tax threshold, with a little extra breathing room to sign a player or two off the street/from the D-League for the rest of the reason. Milicic would likely be waived/bought out (although he has publicly stated that he won't leave money on the table, so waiving him is the likeliest option), since he is a toxic presence. The Knicks don't want to part with Douglas (who I honestly don't think much of), but he needs to be included to make the salaries work.

These scenarios all assume that the Knicks won't part with Jordan Hill (who the Rockets allegedly want) in any McGrady trade.

If McGrady isn't traded, I will be at least a little upset if one of the above trades wasn't at least seriously explored by Morey. Each trade involves significant luxury tax savings and does not require taking back any salary beyond this season (except perhaps Douglas's ~$1M rookie scale salary).

Again, I'm hoping for a significant trade that adds nice talent while still preserving salary cap flexibility (i.e., the Butler/Haywood trade); but I think a trade with the Knicks is still RIGHT THERE for the making as a fallback position.

1 person likes this.
  14. Mr Chuck Norris

Obviously You

15. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Oh man, I hope they sign him long term. I will thoroughly enjoy watching that storyline play out.

16. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

NY or McGrady can't be serious ehhh?

17. IamKhan

IamKhan Rookie

I would think the superstar wing players prefer more to pair with guys who can defend and shoot open 3s.

18. Blaze_3

Blaze_3 Member

i can see that happenning...if they are able to resign him for a small contract they could be able to land bosh or some guy too and then just BAM :grin:
    but no chance against this roster
    AB
    CB(Butler)
    SB
    LS
    YM
    Bench:
    CL
    BA
    KL
    JD
    i like this alphabetical **** :eek: :eek:

19. Blaze_3

Blaze_3 Member

damn that bench guy BA SHOULD BE BH FOR HAYWOOD
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH
    :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

20. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

As I posted in the thread re 3 way deal among Wash, NY and Hou, just imagine a building sized banner in Times Square with Lebron standing next to Tmac....

......I think NY desperately wants Tmac for many reasons: (i) He would be the first star in MSG since I don't know when; (ii) this would not only sell tickets, but energize the fan base; (iii) Tmac might just have something left and help with a playoff push, and (iv) most importantly, auditioning Tmac this year could sell him on MSG and he could be paired with one max contract player.

The last point bears repeating -- If the Knicks can land just one of LeBron, Wade or Bosh, they can pair that person with a "healthy" Tmac as a No. 2 option. Can you imagine the star appeal of LeBron and Tmac, pitched as the next MJ/Pippen? I think that's why Walsh is checking out Tmac so closely. This is a very viable Plan B, and they can trumpet that as a successful rebuild.

So, this means that of the three parties, NY is most motivated to get this done. But they have nothing we want. NY is going to have to pony up to facilitate this three way. As such, I can easily see them putting up $3MM (which would be more than offset by ticket sales and a playoff berth if Tmac is added). I can very well see NY offering up their 2nd rounder, and possibly a future first.

NY would be idiots not to make this deal happen.