1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dream Team....

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by PhiSlammaJamma, Sep 29, 2000.

Tags:
  1. PhiSlammaJamma

This might have been a dream I was having, but I heard they won by two. TWO! And Lithuania had a last ditch effort at a three!

------------------
    humble, but hungry.

2. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

It was no dream. Check this out from nba.com.

SYDNEY, Australia, Sept. 29 — Lithuania's Sarunas Jasikevicius missed a three-pointer at the buzzer as the U.S. Men's Olympic Basketball Team escaped with an 85-83 win Friday in a semifinal thriller.

The United States (7-0) will face France in the gold medal game. France defeated Australia 76-52 in Friday's other semifinal.

Things got really wild when Lithuania's Ramunas Siskauskas was fouled on a three-point attempt with 43.4 seconds remaining. But Siskauskas missed two of his three free throws.

Eighteen seconds later, Kevin Garnett misfired on two free throws, but Antonio McDyess scored off Garnett's second miss to give Team USA an 84-81 lead.

Jasikevicius drove for a layup that made it a one-point game with 11.4 seconds left. The Lithuanians then fouled Jason Kidd, who made only one of two free throws with 9.4 seconds left.

The teams scrambled for the rebound of Kidd's miss, and a jump ball was called with 5.2 seconds left. Lithuania got a final chance when McDyess was called for a jump ball violation.

Jasikevicius took the final shot from about 22 feet away, missing by about a foot.

Vince Carter led Team USA with 18 points, and Alonzo Mourning scored 16. Garnett had 12 points and 14 rebounds.

Jasikevicius, who was 5-for-11 from three-point range, led all scorers with 27 points.

------------------
    Too often, we lose sight of life's simple pleasures.

Remember, when someone annoys you it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, but it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and pimp-slap the mother****** upside the head!

3. ROCKETBOOSTER

ROCKETBOOSTER Member

Pimp, I swear I thought you were joking.

The only reason I care is because Rudy. T is the coach.

These type of games are happening because Duncan, Oneal, Hill and Bryant are at home instead of in Australia.

Team USA has only one legit big man and thats killing them. Garnett is a small forward and Vin Baker and Antonio Mcdyess lack that major inside dominance normally present with past Dream teams.

------------------

4. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Did you read Ray Allen's comments? Something about how the Lithuanians were good because "Donn Nelson is one of the best coaches in the NBA." Lol!

This poor showing (and I don't mean just the last game) reflects poorly on all the Americans, and that includes our coaching staff (though they can't force Garnett and JK to make free throws).

------------------

5. PhiSlammaJamma

Normally I might agree with you, but, Lithuania was missing a couple of NBA quality Centers too. At least according to the article. So it was even. The Lithuanians came to play with us. They must have some talent on that team.

------------------
    humble, but hungry.