1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Karla reconfirms, he's the Dirtiest player ever.

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by thedreamshake99, Jan 7, 2000.

1. Anyone check out the highlights of the Jazz-Mavs matchup?

Play #1: Karl grabs a board, and Shawn Bradley engulfs him with his body. Karl throws a vicious elbow to the face of Bradley, who crashes to the court in pain....No foul called. For those of you who would say (and you know who you are) it was incedental. Lets not forget that Karl's elbows have to travel another foot higher to reach Bradleys ugly mug.

Play #2: Karla drives the lane. Bradley stepps in, assuradly to block the shot. Karla lifts one knee straight into the groin. Bradley never touches Karl (unless you consider his groin on Karlas patella). Lay on the floor in obvious pain for what was a while...Bradley is called for a foul.

Incedent #3: As Don Nelson is in the process of getting a T for arguing for his player, Karla finds it in his glorious rightousness to go after Don and get in his face, creating a hectic scene that entailed to teams.

I swear, enough is enough. No way the refs shouldn't be ostracized for these blunders. And Karla better recieve at least a games suspension for his usuall dirty knee and elbow routine.

2. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

I saw that!! When is the league going to realize that he is totally dirty.

Yea, the man is good. He is one of the best, but he is dirty too. He needs to be watched carefully by the refs and the league needs to make them aware of this.

------------------
    Without a good defense, there is no offense.

We don't need no stinking badges!!! We need some stinking WINS!!!

3. Jenna

Jenna Member

Well, I was an actual witness of last night's events. I had center court seats - a perfect view of what was probably one of my favorite Jazz games ever. I've never yelled and cheered for my boys so much in my life.

I'll take things in the same stride that the original poster did:

Incident #1: This was a typical NBA rebound. Karl grabbed the ball, came down and cleared the area - in classic Charles Barkley style. The elbows were flying, but this is nothing out of the ordinary on this sort of play. Bradley got popped (to the enjoyment of most of the actual Mavericks fans)- oh well. Nothing vicious.

Incident #2: Have you ever seen Karl go up for a dunk? Ever???? He's been making this same move since the first tim I saw him - which was about 1982. That's how he goes up, that's it. There was nothing intentional here, just a man trying to go up for a slam.

Incident #3: Don Nelson needs to learn he's not a 30 year old Celtic anymore. Nelson lost it, went loco on the officials and refused to leave the floor. Karl was just standing around, talking to an official to find out what the heck was going on. As Nelson was making his journey toward the lockeroom, he saw Karl and thought he'd give him a piece of his mind. He went a little too far when he decided to push Karl, at which time Karl's mouth started running, but his hands were not anywhere near Nelson. Malone did not attack a 60-year-old man, the 60-year-old man attacked Malone.

The NBA handed down their ruling today:
    Karl Malone - $10,000 fine
    Don Nelson - $10,000 fine and one game suspension

Finally, David Stern does something right.

Houston, be careful - you've got a mad postal worker coming in....

------------------
    Jen
    Next round of Nelson vs. Malone: February 24 @ Reunion Arena

4. grummett

grummett Contributing Member

Jenna- Lanny Davis would be proud of you. [​IMG]

5. Jenna to the Recue of Karla

Incedent #1...I think you better check exactly how many times Karla swung those pointy elbows around. As I rewatched it, after he tried to clear room he was annoyed at Bradley for doing what he should of done. Contest karla. There is no question that after he waved his elbows around 3 or so times, he intenionally hit Bradley with the shot to the head, which is Dirty...Unless you believe that all that open space in front of Malone didn't actually exsist, and that Karla couldn't actually dribble at the moment. Either way. Dirty play from the leagues dirtiest, foulest, most reprehensable player ever.

Incedent #2...Who cares how long he's been doing it. Its been a foul since he first lay out a groin back in 84. Its a dirty tactic, used by an ugly, overbearing, cursing on national TV, crying on national TV, cheap shot artist to gain an advantage.

Incedent #3...Who cares. Kudos to Nelson for having the balls to go stand up to the Ogre that is the master of flop...Karla. If it were a Rocket player, I would hope Rudy to do the same thing. Tell me, Jenna, how many heads does Malone elbows, accidentally crack a year? How about how many accidental groins does he go at every year?

Ill put Malone where he belongs as a player as soon as you acknowledge how much a cheap shot artist your favorite player is.

6. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Jenna, I've always respected your "love" of the Jazz(never understood it though), but how can you honestly, knowing what kind of player Karl "The Redneck" Malone is, sit back and defend his style of play???

The NBA and the world knows the man is a dirty basketball player. I am not saying that what Nellie did was right by going after Malone like that, but like Chris Rock would say about why OJ killed Nicole and Ron....I understand!

Hell, I still say the Rockets should have used Serge Zwikker to break one of Malone's legs! No, it wouldn't have been the right thing to do, but I know my other Rockets fans would understand!

------------------
    Without a good defense, there is no offense.

We don't need no stinking badges!!! We need some stinking WINS!!!

7. grummett

grummett Contributing Member

The Dallas Morning News says that Nellie actually chest-bumped Malone during the fracas. Nellie, for one night at least, you are The Man.

8. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I went to a game in Utah in April of 1995 -- cheap seats. My friend and I got busted like 4 or 5 times trying to move up into closer seats. I think we were in the clear for like almost an entire quarter once before security came up (you stick out like a sore thumb when you're wearing a Maxwell jersey) -- but even funnier was the security guard would walk up and ask, "Can I see your tickets?" And we'd be like, "Um ... we're with Gene Petersen" or whatever you say when you don't have the necesary tickets. The security guard would be like, "Well, I can't let you sit here because these seats belong to the Ross family"

I'm like, "GEEZ, what is this place... one big happy family ... "

Anyhow, up in the cheap seats this guy with his family was watching the game -- he's got his wife and 3 kids with him and we're sitting right next to him. Apparently he's been pumping himself with beer all night and is just wasted.

So to my point (enough lead-in) ... the Jazz are up big late and Karl Malone does a fake and gets Robert Horry in the air and just CLOBBERS Horry on the way up with a blatant (absolutely 100% intentional) elbow to the face... Horry took exception to it and threw his arms down on Malone. Tempers flared and they tossed Horry and put Malone at the line. Could NOT believe what I was seeing. I vividly remember Hakeem walking up to Malone and complaining to him, kind of doing the elbow thrust motion in the air kind of re-enacting Karl's favorite move. Basically he was saying "Cut the elbow crap out" ... Malone b****ed back.

Anyhow, this drunk guy next to me was leaning to me and barking out, "Don't Mess with MalOOOOOOOOONE!" ... "You best learn not to mess with Maloooooooone!!!" ... kept shouting, "You guys (Rockets) are the dirtiest team in the league!!! That's how you won the championship last year because you're dirty!!!"

Picture Dennis Hopper in Hoosiers -- only pump another keg in him. Serious.

I just laughed... his wife was embarrassed -- you could tell.

4 days later the season was over. 10 days after that the 60-win Jazz' season was over... courtesy of the Rockets.

I'd do anything to see that guy again.

9. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Jenna, how can you possibly just say that this was just another play, nothing vicious?

Bradley is about 9 inches taller than Malone. I doubt that an "unintentional" elbow would land 9 inches higher (even more since his elbows aren't at the top of his head) than usual. I don't recall Barkley throwing his elbows at unusual heights like that (OK, I know he has in the past). I play basketball, normally against guys much taller than me. When I get a rebound and I swing my elbows, it may hit their chest, not their head.

Also, how can you explain that his infamous incidental flailing of the elbows have never hit a teammate? If he can't control the movement of his elbows, you would think that a teammate would have been nailed at least a few times in 16 years. I'm really amazed it hasn't.

You don't feel sympathy for Klein, Bradley, Thomas, Grant, Harrington, or the many others that Malone has victimized over his career, but your quick to defend him when a 60 year old coach "attacks" him.

Jenna, please, I understand why you love him, I would too if in your position. I'm also not questioning your love for the Rockets either. However, some things are really indefensible, or at least you sound really desperate trying to defend them.

10. Christopher

Christopher Member

I cant understand why the league just dosent do this:
    Elbow someone once you get a warning.
    Twice you get a small fine and warning.
    On the third time you are made to wear elbow pads.
    Simple.

As for Malone do you think he'd pull that crap against Shaq? NO WAY!
    He hasnt got the Kahoona's to take on someone who would knock him on his backside.
    Someone like Barkley,Oakley,Mugsy.....

------------------
    Your Starting Power Forward for the Clutch City Allstars