1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is the dealership trying to rip me off?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tmac2k8, Jan 25, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

as someone who did vehicle computer diagnostics for quite a few years, let me tell you that if you think a random guy with a scanner can tell you what the computer problem is, you are gonna end up swapping out many parts in hope that you get lucky and replace the right one.

There is a reason why the diagnostic checklist to track down computer control codes is normally multiple pages.

but hey....put your expensive vehicle in the hands of a minimum wage guy with minimal training and a scanner that if you are lucky he *might* really know how to use.

as for brake rotor replacement, in some case they are needed....if they are worn past the point of safety or if you allowed the pads to go metal-to-metal to the point that the grooves cant be turned out....then they will need replacement. Otherwise, if you are mechanically inclined brakes are normally something that can be done in your driveway for the cost of the pads.

and lastly....what Swoly said...he is pretty much right.

2. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

His exact words were "the n80 valve leak is what's causing the light to turn on, that has to be replaced for the light to come off, the emission coils were not misfiring but we replaced it anyways since it is on recall. The other repairs you may have to do them later on"

3. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

I used to own an Audi, and these kinds of lists were pretty standard from the dealership. I'd usually just pick and choose the ones that I'd do.

For your case, I'd probably get the valve leak fixed now. Then do the the brake pads at a later date from someplace other than the VW dealership. The others seem unnecessary at this point.

4. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Audi and VW are the least reliable cars on the market. I would rather own a Hyundai.

5. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Lol, I doubt he will be stranded on the road due to a "blown engine mount". Sorry Swoly but that is some funny stuff.

Anyways, I don't think they are trying to screw you. Typically a dealer will charge much more for labor services and parts since they are OEM. Like Swoly said above, he is just warning you of some of the wear on your car and what likely needs to be replaced soon (soon doesn't necessarily mean tomorrow or the next month, btw). If your car is running fine and you've kept up with all your maintenance than you should be fine. If you don't feel the car shaking a lot during idle (otherwise, that might be related to your torn engine mount) or you don't hear your car's break squeaking (brake pads) or you don't feel your car shaking when you break (related to your disc rotors), etc then you are probably fine.

6. Crudder

Crudder Member

Unless you happen to find the one good dealer for every 100 crappy ones, I would say you are almost ALWAYS being ripped off. As others have mentioned, you aren't only paying for their labor but the expensive parts as well.

The best thing to do, in my opinion, is to take your car to a mechanic you (or others) trust and determine what needs to be done. Go buy the parts wholesale and have the mechanic charge you for labor. Or better yet, learn to do the simple maintenance (such as installing brake pads) yourself and leave the more difficult things to the mechanic.

7. Mulder

Mulder Contributing Member

VW's are expensive as hell to repair and break down at least as often if not more so than other models. I would advise that you do what I did. Get rid of the VW and go get a Honda.

8. matrixReloaded

I'm on my second Audi and haven't had any trouble with it.

9. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Consider yourself lucky then :D.

10. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

My A4 was an absolute piece of crap. Bought it brand new in '03, and got rid of it last year after dumping thousands of dollars in repairs. Replaced the transmission, leaky water pump, other leaks, burned out coils, broken power seat motor, etc.

When I traded it in, the control arms were worn out too with minor fractures, $1,500 job. I said screw it, and got $6k for it from the BMW dealership when I got my new ride.

11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Does the Pope wear a funny hat?

12. Crudder

Crudder Member

Funny to whom?

[​IMG]

13. BenignDMD

BenignDMD Contributing Member

Changing brake pads is pretty easy.

You can take your rotors off and have them machined at O'Reilly Auto Parts for cheap too. I am sure other auto stores do it as well.

14. sbyang

sbyang Member

Sounds like pretty standard repairs for a well used car.

I don't think the dealer is ripping you off, but dealers tend to be on the expensive side. Get someone to recommend a mechanic and go with the mechanic instead.

Your light turned off because the dealer pressed something. It will turn back on later since you haven't fixed the valve.

15. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

:p Yeah, I know... it may have been a bit much, but I am sure that he won't want to be stranded on the road... due to anything at all... you know? :cool:

Good luck, tmac2k8.

16. Salvy

Salvy Member

Lol, number 2 3 4 have nothing to do with your engine light..... You should go ahead and do a tune up on your car... Spark Plugs, Oil, Oil Filter, Air Filter and so on..... If that does not make the engine light turn off then you can get a mechanic...... Personally, I dont let any mechanic touch my car except for one dude that I call when I just cant figure it out... He can go to your house and fix it there... This guy is really good and charges fair...

17. MIAGI99

MIAGI99 Member

lol, yeah. If a engine mount was bad you would know it by excessive vibration at the least. Also, $400+ for changing brake pads is way too much, just have a local mechanic do it for less than half the cost. I would have someone else diagnose the engine also.

18. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I really really really want an Audi A5. But knowing how crappy Audi reliability is, I doubt I'll get one. Bah.

As for the OP, definitely get the leak repaired. The broken (assuming it really is broken) engine mount can cause problems down the line especially if others fail. I just got 2 of mine repaired after 120k+ miles and it cost about $800-$900. Not sure how many miles you have on your car.

But damn, $410 for one set of brake pads?? Even on entry-level luxury cars, a pair of brake pads run around $200 or so installed (which is still a rip-off). Wth kind of brake pads do you have? Did that price include rotors? If it's just brake pads, take them to a Firestone and have them look at it. A lot of places will try to get you to replace your pads when they're about 20-30% worn even though they can still go for a while longer.

A lot of these places are hurting for business since the downturn of the econonmy and they're looking to make money off people any way they can. In many cases, what they're recommending is preventative care and not necessarily ripping you off. But... in a way, some of their preventative measures can be construed as being "rip-offs". lol.

19. hjg877

hjg877 Member

Is Ed "Too Tall" Jones too tall?

20. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

anyone know what the diff/seal is ?