1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Which Opposing team commentators have irked you the most?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by MacYao223, Jan 5, 2010.

1. MacYao223

MacYao223 Member

Aside from the legendary Tommy Heinson, seeing as we havent played the Celtics yet, which commentating team's homerism has made you want to punch the TV? For me, it was listening to Cleveland's and Denver's. The homerism is just ridiculous. Here on the west coast, I get to see alot of the Laker and Warrior games. They have some great commentators. But Denver and Cleveland take homerism to a new level. Scott Hastings who does the color for Denver, and Austin Carr who does the color for Cleveland. Third on my list would be Portlands. Who's on your most hated commentating list?

2. bratna8

bratna8 Member

The last game was pretty ****in annoying.....Hornets announcers kept bringing up that West scored 44 against, and after he made his first shot they were like "Houston you have a problem"......like he was going to go off on us again.

Nets announcers (Marv Albert & Fratello) were the best to listen cause it was just like listening to a national televised game.

3. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

Does it have to be the opposing team?

4. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I can't say I hate him, but Walt Frazier(of the Knick's telecast team) is pretty bad - but in a kind of amusing goofy way. I was watching the Knicks get blown out by 30+ in a game a few years ago and he was talking about how they just need to keep their heads up and hit a few shots in a row and they will be right back in the game. It's not that he wasn't watching - it's just that he's such an optimist sometimes that he is wildly unrealistic. You'll see Eddy Curry put up some half assed effort to get a rebound and Walt will say, "keep trying young man - you'll get that board next time!".....I do love his ridiculous rhymes though.

FWIW, I don't particularly like the commentating team of Worrell, Drexler, and Bull...and that's coming from someone who has been watching Bill since the Hannah Storm days before he started to look like the Emperor from Star Wars. They are pretty homerific although not as bad as some of the other ones in the league(Orlando comes to mind).

5. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

none, ours has become one of the worst actually. i love bill and even clyde and bull, but they are enormous homers, but it seems that alot of commentators these days are doing a better job of concealing their bias at least a little.

the celtics guy was pretty bad though, just an annoying guy

6. mgraye2969

mgraye2969 Member

The Utah Jazz annoucers are the worst I have ever heard

7. stobbartjohn

stobbartjohn Member

Yes, the Jazz announcers think they are doing the WWE. They scream like morons EVERY time the Jazz hit a shot.

BANG BANG BANG

MONEY MAN OKUR

etc. i hate them

8. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Cleveland color commentator drives me CRAZY. "Oh Yeah L-Train! LJ!"

...it's Chef's dad but filled with homerism. Listen to the similarities.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/B4C96ZTJIhU&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/B4C96ZTJIhU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tyd4NPvzKQg&hl=en_US&fs=1&start=256"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tyd4NPvzKQg&hl=en_US&fs=1&start=256" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

#8 WhoMikeJames, Jan 5, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  9. OvenproofBadger

Celts commentators are awful, like shocking, not only are they super homers, but they r flat out dull and often u feel like u must be watching different games - like wen u see a scuffle between a celts player and an oppsing player its almost like they make stuff up... Tmac and Bill Walker?... I love the Knicks, so much fun to listen to Frazier. Not keen on Cavs cos they always say the same thing over and over. After every 3 - .... FROM DEEP IN THE Q! After every dunk - .... THROWS THE HAMMER DOWN!

10. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Denver's are the worst. I've listened to lots of away streams from when I was living in North Carolina and Denver's stuck out as being far and away the worst.

There was another crew from a crappy team, may have been Golden State or the Clippers, that also annoyed me bad this year, made it sound as though if there were justice in the league their team would be undefeated, but yeah they're still not as bad as Denver's.

Denver's commentators lie so much that the totality of their sinning is approaching grave status. You don't even need to add the context of working for the team that has consistently (since Carmelo was drafted) led the league in technical fouls and tattoos.

Denver plays dirty too, a George Karl team always will cheat off all their men to play the passing lanes (at least now it's legal compared to the Sonics days when they were illegal 100/100 plays but Karl just pulled some Jerry Sloan BS and gambled on the fact that the refs wouldn't call it every time).

11. Gakatron

Gakatron Contributing Member

I actually find both the Warriors and Clips to be some of the best...especially the Clippers, those guys probably knew the most about the Rockets than any of the other teams, it really pisses me off when announcers clearly have not even bothered to study the other team.

The worst for me would have to be Celts, Jazz, Hornets, Cavs and Magic. Magic dudes seemed to have some of chip on their shoulder because their team won in the hard old East last year.

12. bushies

bushies Member

I dunno man, in a few of the lakers games i've seen lately that've been picked up by a certain channel (KCAL 7 or something), the announcers have been super annoying homers all up on Kobe. Utah also makes the list for sure.

13. vpyingyang

vpyingyang Member

Worse: Portland, Boston, and Cleveland

Best: Warriors, Clippers, TWolves, and Kings

I remembered in the beginning of the season when we played against the Warriors, their commentators said something like this "If you don't like this Rockets team, you don't like NBA basketball" :grin:

14. Steve_Francis_rules

I've only seen a few games this year, but the Clippers announcers were pretty annoying. They kept talking about how the Clippers were going to be way too much for the Rockets to handle.

15. JLOBABYDADDY

JLOBABYDADDY Member

Absolutely, by far, running away........

Sean Elliot for the Spurs. Is is in the tank for them so bad its riduculous!! He is a cheerleader with a headset. I live in San Antonio and a lot of times when the Spurs and Rockets play I have to watch on local TV. He got mad one year when Landry snatched the ball from Duncan and dunked it. He said Landry needed to show some respect! i was like What?!?!?

16. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

I'll go with Denver as usual.

17. foo82

foo82 Member

While I haven't caught many other teams commentators, one does jump to mind. Minnesota. These are one of the best crews out there. They often give praise to other teams when deserved and overall seemed fair.

18. mattrbowers

mattrbowers Member

I can't remember who it was ... I think OKC ... all I can remember is both guys had the worst drawl I have ever heard in my life and I almost couldn't stand to listen. Being a Texan you'd think I could handle my share of drawls, but these guys were way bad.

19. albuster

albuster Member

Utah Jazz

20. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Frazier is one of the best.

Matt Bullard is easily one of the 3 worst that I have heard all year. Bullard is so insufferable that I actually like Clyde now - you can at least get a good chuckle out of some of his comments. Matt Bullard just ruins my viewing experience and makes the game completely unwatchable. It was one thing when he b****ed about every call against the Rockets, but now, in what appears to be I guess some facade of objectivity, he goes out of his way to actually commend the refs when they make calls against Houston.

Matt, here's a clue: Just shut up. Don't mention the officiating at all. That would really help.