1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[WojYahooNBA] T-Mac for Butler?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Matt Maloney, Jan 1, 2010.

Tags:
  1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Rox,

The thing is, that it only takes the RIGHT deal to be offered for things to happen really quickly.....

DD

2. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

True dat.

Morey's zeroing in on those players he really wants, looking at those 3-team deals, whatever. If they don't come to fruition, either move on one of the deals he has on the plate, or let McGrady come off the books.

3. Egghead

Egghead Member

Arenas contract is terrible plus he's in trouble now with gun possession

4. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

DD, I think its in the rockets best interest to let this thing go all the way down to the trade deadline. Somebody's going to overpay for Tracy's contract and the trade deadline may be Morey's best leverage and especially if the rockets keep winning.

5. DaDakota

That is not always true, Jump, sometimes markets dry up as teams that have been chasing him move on to other deals...

It is better to make a deal that you are happy with in the middle of the process than to hold out until the very end and hope to maximize your profits.

Taking a good deal is never a bad thing.

DD

6. BK219

BK219 Member

I'd take Butler and Mcgee over the Sixers deal unless it's Iggy and Speights/Thad Young.

7. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

That's not always true. Teams may turn away if he goes on too long. Plus, chemistry is something to think about. There have been many trades at the trade deadline and a lot of teams struggle for a while until things start going again.

8. jump shooter

You may be right DD, but personally I would take this thing all the way to the end and I think thats what Morey will do. Their not in contention for a championship this year with Yao out for the season and if they keep winning, it will just bolster Morey's negotiating position with other teams. Im sure he has a very short list of players or scenarios that he would jump on when it comes to trading Tracy's contract. Word is he's going to talk to most teams and that could take some time.

9. jump shooter

Agree, but they are not going to be in contention for a championship this year without Yao. So for me chemistry is not a pressing issue, cutting the right deal for the rockets future is more important.

10. DaDakota

The only way it goes to the end is if there are multiple bidders, and the thing is....that once someone tries for a while, they might settle on Jermaine O'neal for instance, and that dries up one of the teams competing and lowers the market.

It is almost never a good idea to go right to the end, because you can not count on the guys you are dealing with to have the same agenda at the end as they do at the beginning.

IMO, you take a look around, and pull the trigger in mid January, and then whichever contracts you get back you don't like you try to flip them up until the deadline.

It is not about us being in contention, it is about "WHEN" the best deal will be offered.

DD

11. rockets_fanatic

We won't get a much better deal than one with Iggy in it. Waiting for the deadline just in case a better offer comes along is a big risk.

Who knows, what adding a legit 2 and a 7 footer that blocks shots can do for us.

Think about it, if we had Deke last season when Yao went down, we beat the Lakers in that 7 game series.

12. herro

herro Member

we won't have an offer come in for any more 25 year old true SG's in the vein of Iguodala

13. laneh

laneh Member

An Iggy trade is advantageous

1. Athleticism = better fast break opportunities
    2. Iggy's defense is statistically and on the floor much better
    3. Iggy is more durable and less prone to injury
    4. Butler is declining whereas Iggy is about to enter into his prime

14. asmith8266

asmith8266 Member

Hahaha we get raped so hard.
    No thanks.
    Giving up Ariza makes absolutely no sense.

15. rockets_fanatic

the difference is, we would have to convince Philly to add Iggy, while the rumors are the Wizards are actually shopping Butler.

At the moment, it isn't as if Philli are trying to shop him. SO if we get an offer for Butler but can't get Philli to add Iggy to a trade with Dalembert (less of two evils when compared to Brand), then we take it.

UNLESS...

Unless there is interest form Joe Johnson to join us through Free Agency. Even then if you look at what happened with Brand when he was a Free Agent that is also a big risk.

16. jump shooter

I agree and I think the best deal will probably be around the trade deadline. Just my opinion. I think Morey has targeted certain trade scenario's with specific players that he wants to surround Yao with and it wouldn't surprise me if some of the rockets young talent was included with Tracy's contract to get those specific homerun type of players or player.

17. alverwi

alverwi Contributing Member

I agree. Iggy and Sammy D would be an amazing deal for us. Sam's contract is in no way bad enough to not go after Iggy

18. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Considering the likelihood that Washington will be allowed to abrogate Arenas' contract, Philly is looking not only like the best deal but the only deal. Personally, I hope the deal stays small Iggy + Dalembert for McGrady + Taylor or Dorsey (not as a sweetener but to keep the roster from getting bloated). If Washington is out, hoping for Young, Speights or a #1 swap is too much of a dream.

19. Garner

Garner Member

Why are you folks so eager to send away a draft pick?

Landry, Brooks, Budinger.

Three names I constantly read are "untouchable."

With the Rocket's front office track record these past two years, why would you send away another one of these guys? Makes no sense to me.

20. _RTM_

_RTM_ Member

Caron Butler to Miami or Chicago?

http://www.mikejonessports.com/2010/01/startling-picture-starting-to-become.html

Come on, Morey! Keep up!

Wizards gettin' real crap for Butler. Don't lose a chance!