1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Philly Inquirer] 76ers have to knock over Rockets with young talent (UPDATE: 1/13)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by worzel gummidge, Jan 1, 2010.

1. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

This is why trading for Caron Butler makes more sense finaclaily because the Wizards have expiring contracts to trade. Remember, The Rockets still need money to resign Scola and Lowry in the offseason.[/QUOTE]

It doesn't make more sense when we need a sg. We are stacked at sf, we just don't need him. I like Butler but Iguadola is a far better fit right now. Iggy is younger and far more efficent

2. Egghead

Egghead Member

It doesn't make more sense when we need a sg. We are stacked at sf, we just don't need him. I like Butler but Iguadola is a far better fit right now. Iggy is younger and far more efficent[/QUOTE]

Butler can play SG... also if we were to get Iggy we would have to take back Dalembert or Brand...

Then we wont be able to resign Scola or Lowry in the offseason..

3. YourSecretLover

Houston
    Incoming Players
    Andre Iguodala
    Emeka Okafor

Outgoing Players
    Tracy McGrady
    David Andersen
    Jermaine Taylor
    2010 1st Round Pick

Philadelphia
    Incoming Players
    Tracy McGrady
    David Andersen
    Hilton Armstrong

Outgoing Players
    Andre Iguodala
    Samuel Dalembert

New Orleans
    Incoming Players
    Jermaine Taylor
    Samuel Dalembert
    2010 1st Round Pick

Outgoing Players
    Emeka Okafor
    Hilton Armstrong

1 person likes this.
  4. mikol13

Supporting Member

Butler can play SG... also if we were to get Iggy we would have to take back Dalembert or Brand...

Then we wont be able to resign Scola or Lowry in the offseason..[/QUOTE]

I think Les goes over luxary tax if he thinks we have a contender. I def don't want to take back Brand

5. alverwi

alverwi Contributing Member

Man I would hate to be a 76er with Iverson and T-Mac on the same team.

6. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Dalembert is an expiring contract next season. That is the exact kind of contract Morey wants if he can't move expirings for talent this season. He would accept a contract like Peja's or Dalembert's as long as it included other young talent such as Iggy, Thad, Speights, etc., because next season he has another expiring to use at the trade deadline to load up with. Not to mention, we want to keep all of our swingman in case a sign and trade pops up for Lebron or DWade over the summer. This is precisely why I do not see any of Ariza, Battier, Budinger being traded this season unless we are getting back a true superstar like CP3 or possibly Chris Bosh, that is to say, a top 5 talent.

On another note, of our young pieces, I love them all and would hate to part with any of them. But of all of them, Lowry is the most moveable. He is coming into a contract year, he's likely to receive a free agent offer, maybe even from hometown Philly, for more money than we really want to pay him as a backup. And the other thing I keep thinking about in the back of my mind is Will Conroy played his a... off during preseason. And Conroy is down at Rio Grande getting warmed up. Lowry's value is spiking right now. He is obviously a baller and I love everything about his game. But.....................I see a lot of the same things in Conroy, except I feel Conroy is an even better offensive option both shooting the ball and passing, and drawing fouls, and Conroy is a very good defender for his size at the point. Conroy just makes sense for us. We could bring him in on a minimum contract if we moved Lowry and he would probably work out pretty well for us. What I am trying to say is I see that Lowry is the easiest piece to replace, as difficult is that is to admit. I don't see a Landry replacement. And Budinger is simply too good for the money we are going to have to pay him for the next year or so. Budinger has too much value. The young talent that we could most easily replace is LOWRY.

Trading McGrady is all about acquiring assets, assets, assets.

7. rockets_fanatic

I think Les goes over luxary tax if he thinks we have a contender. I def don't want to take back Brand[/QUOTE]

What might happen is we will ask for Iggy to take Dalembert, but Philli will respond that they will give us Iggy if we take Brand instead of Dalembert.

If the Wizards can gives us Butler and Mike James (6 million but only untill the end of this season), we may go with that one.

Now, if the Wizards want to deal with us, I would use that to get Philly to give Dalembert and Iggy on the premise that we are their most likely chance to being able to dumb at least one bad contract.

Good that we have at least two potential deals that would help our team.

8. mikol13

Supporting Member

I think Les goes over luxary tax if he thinks we have a contender. I def don't want to take back Brand[/QUOTE]

Ok what the hell am I doing wrong? Our posts are reversed

9. Jblazea50

Jblazea50 Member

I would not take Butler. I live in Maryland (very close to DC) and get all the Wizards game on TV and have seen a few this season. Butler is having a hard time fitting into Flip Saunders' system and he is struggling this season. He has been hurt the past few seasons and missed few games as well. He has a great spot up jumpshot, but he relies on that too much and doesn't really drive to the lane.

Defense? We can forget about his defense because no one plays defense for the Wizards. Couple of games ago, Flip said that he could take any of the players on the roster one-on-one and drive by them at the age of 54 b/c they don't play defense.

Now, if Rox can manage to get Iggy, that would be a steal.

10. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Some of you are crazy if you think Philly would dump Iguodala for T-mac without including Brand. The only reason Iggy is being discussed at all in this conversation is so Philly gets out from under that contract.

IMO Morey does Dalembert/Iggy for T-mac any day of week. However Philly wants Brand/Iggy instead.

So you keep tweaking the deal.

Would you prefer Brand/Iggy for T-mac or Dalembert/Iggy for T-mac and Brooks or Scola?

You don't get a player of Iggys caliber without giving up a little more.

11. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

Why would the Sixers do this is what I'm wondering ? Tracy and A.I. on the same team, something bad is bound to happen.

12. tracymclady

tracymclady Member

there is no way philly lets young speights williams and iguodala all go i would say iguodala dalembert and speights but then we have to throw in landry or battier. were trading tmac not kobe here. morey better get this done i better not end up seeing tmac for the knicks garbage.

13. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

FYI. If the Rockets traded T-Mac for AI and Dalembert, their total salary commitments for 2010-11 would be about $65.6M, which will be close to (if not over) the LT threshold next year. That figure includes Landry but does NOT include Hayes, Scola or Lowry.

This means that, unless Les Alexander is willing to take a MAJOR luxury tax hit next year, he won't be able to keep even two out of three of those guys. The Rockets might have to let Scola go in free agency and/or S&T him for a future draft pick.

No, thanks. THAT is why Morey will not take back Dalembert in any Philly trade for Iguodala. He also won't take back Peja in a trade with NO unless Chris Paul is involved.

14. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

There's all sorts of ways to get under the lux tax, friend. Not to mention, Les is willing to pay the lux tax for a legit shot at championships. Also, there is the fine line between paying the lux tax and not paying the lux tax, that is, if most of the rest of the teams are under the lux tax, then there is not that much lux tax to collect and earn by being under the lux tax cap. Those are all factors that Morey is massaging everyday. Morey has already made it clear that he sees that we are going to improve this team through trade. That sends a clear signal to me that we are going to trade for ending contracts that we can continue to roll out and keep accumulating young talent. Morey is going to keep stacking talent, stacking talent, stacking talent, until we have the best 12 man roster and we can easily move pieces to acquire superstars like CP3, Lebron, or DWade. I am convinced that Morey has his eye set on one of those guys right now and until the summer of 2010. When all of that falls out, then he will go to plan B.

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Exactly,

You can not look at the contract situations like they are an "END ALL" for any decision that Morey makes.

He is thinking a few more moves ahead than that...

Bima is providing excellent info, however, Morey has a longer term plan than just next year, or the year after.

He is stockpiling assets to get the brass ring, and there are TONS of ways to get under the Lux tax line......not to mention teams have almost all year to get there......so lots can happen over the course of a year.

This is all about maximizing the talent on the roster.

DD

16. Jerry36

Jerry36 Member

I would do it this way Tmac, Cook, Lowry, Budinger
    for ...............................

Iggy, Dalembert, Williams

The trade machine says this is a go

17. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Les said he's pay tax for a superstar. I think he's thinking Chris Paul, not Iguodala, Kevin Martin, or the like. Nothing wrong with these 2nd/3rd tier guys, just not the superstar that Les would pay tax for.

18. rocketsmetalspd

These are the only players the Rockets should involve in any trade. I believe the rest should not be included in any trade involving TMac. The guy has done enough for the Rockets why in world would you include players that have made this team thus far.

19. Jerry36

Jerry36 Member

The thing about getting a superstar is they are not going to stay with running Rick's system. I think Iggy would fit perfect and plus he's better than ariza.

20. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

This.

Agreed that Morey is thinking about more than the luxury tax next year, but Les Alexander may have different motives than Morey; and what Les wants trumps what Morey is trying to do.

Also, saying "there are plenty of ways to get below the luxury tax" is great and all. Pray tell, how do you propose that Morey do that? Keep in mind the motivation for other teams.

jopatmc, you're probably right with respect to the shared luxury tax revenues being significantly less next year, with so many teams dropping below the threshold. But the tax is still a 100% tax. And the Rockets would need to exceed it by A LOT in order to keep Scola and Lowry along with AI and Dalembert.

I just don't think Les and Morey will be quite so cavalier about drastically exceeding the luxury tax here. And it would be a drastic excess, unless you want to kiss goodbye to Scola and/or Lowry.