1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[New York Post] D'Antoni 'intrigued' by McGrady

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets934life, Dec 29, 2009.

1. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Why don't we work a deal with NY? Then go to Utah and tell them to give us AK-47, Okur, the NY first rounder for McGrady, Cook, Dorsey, and our first rounder, or else we are gonna send McGrady to NY and make them a playoff team and destroy the value of NY's 2010 first rounder, so Utah will be stuck with another guaranteed contract on top of AK-47 and Okur's dead weight. If Utah does the deal with us, they have massive cap space going into 2010 and they can tank for the lottery pick.

I like it....................

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

For the purpose of D'Antoni evaluating McGrady, it is. I suspect the Rockets have goals in mind other than letting D'Antoni scout TMac. They might, for example,
    be trying to WIN SOME ****ING GAMES YOU MORON!

3. Egghead

Egghead Member

This is a trade I would accept.. Im pretty sure NY would too..

Tmac

for

Harrington
    Mobley
    Jordan Hill

Rockets reunite Hill with Budinger.. Hill is 6-10 and very athletic.. Mobley's contract is expiring and so is Harrington

4. wekko368

wekko368 Member

I think D'Antoni would want to keep Harrington, and why do you think they'd want to give up Hill?

5. PeppermintCandy

If he's as intrigued about adding McGrady as he was about adding Iverson, I don't think he's that intrigued.

6. Egghead

Egghead Member

well, the Rockets aren't going to take Eddy Curry or Jared Jeffries back from them. If the Knicks are desperate to get T-macs expiring deal.. I think they wouldn't mind giving us Hill. I actually got this idea off a New York post article...

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/30/sports/basketball/30mcgrady.html

McGrady Is Available, and Knicks Take Note

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. — Since the moment he took charge of the Knicks in 2008, Donnie Walsh’s rebuilding plan has been methodical and predictable: shed big contracts, wait for 2010, pray for an All-Star.
    Skip to next paragraph
    David J. Phillip/Associated Press

Tracy McGrady has been granted a leave by the Rockets while they try to trade him.

The strategy so far has been successful, if necessarily dull. Walsh, the Knicks’ president, has avoided any splashy transactions that could jeopardize the plan. But the Knicks may finally have the perfect candidate to fill all their needs, present and future — splash included.

His name is Tracy McGrady, and he is very much available.

McGrady’s tenure with the Houston Rockets effectively ended Tuesday, when the team granted him an indefinite leave while it tries to trade him. McGrady, a seven-time All-Star, has been pining for more playing time as he attempts to come back from major knee surgery. But the Rockets have been successful without McGrady and no longer view him as a key player.

McGrady, 30, may still have enough talent to lead a team to the playoffs. With a $23 million contract that expires next summer, he would be a low-risk acquisition. He is seemingly a perfect target for the Knicks, who are openly intrigued.

“I think you always have to be intrigued with somebody the stature of Tracy McGrady,” Coach Mike D’Antoni said Tuesday.

There are countless barriers to a deal, and it is not yet clear how aggressive the Knicks intend to be. But they have been making inquiries about McGrady for several months. Their interest is based primarily on present needs.

The Knicks have not made the postseason since 2004. D’Antoni, who was hired last year, is determined to make the playoffs, to create a winning atmosphere and to lend credibility to the team’s pursuit of the top free agents next summer.

In McGrady, the Knicks would get an established star with enviable skills. He has been one of the game’s most dynamic players for the last decade, with career averages of 21.9 points, 6.1 rebounds and 4.7 assists.

But he has also played only 101 games over the last two full seasons, mostly because of knee injuries. In February, McGrady had microfracture surgery, a procedure that has hastened the decline of several star players, including Chris Webber and Penny Hardaway.

There are also questions about McGrady’s ability to blend with his teammates, which is one reason the Rockets balked at his recent request for more playing time. More critically, McGrady has not shown that he can play anywhere near his former level since he returned in mid-December.

But Houston was limiting McGrady to 7.7 minutes a game; he contends that he could do more with more playing time. Coach Rick Adelman was unconvinced, which raises concerns for any team that may pursue a deal.

“Well, you know, that’s the question,” D’Antoni said of McGrady’s ability to regain his form. “If your answer to that is yes, then you go get him. If it’s no, then you probably stay away. I don’t think anybody knows for sure.”

Although the Rockets have been fielding inquiries, most teams are interested in McGrady solely for his expiring contract. Because of McGrady’s uncertain health, teams are reluctant to give up much talent in return.

The Rockets are also trying to clear cap room in 2010, and they could simply keep McGrady and let his deal expire next summer. But the belief among team executives is that the Rockets would prefer to trade McGrady and not risk the ire of his agent, Arn Tellem.

The Rockets are reluctant to acquire any long-term contracts unless they view the players as building blocks for the future. That rules out any deal the Knicks could construct around Eddy Curry or Jared Jeffries; each has a bloated contract that runs through 2011.

Complicating any deal is the need to match McGrady’s salary (give or take 25 percent) to comply with cap rules.

The Knicks could offer a package of expiring contracts, perhaps using Al Harrington as the centerpiece, and include the rookie Jordan Hill, a 2009 lottery pick, as enticement. Hill has only one guaranteed year after this one, at $2.7 million.

But the Rockets could find better offers, particularly from midlevel playoff teams looking to improve their lineups before the Feb. 18 trading deadline.

Nor is it a given that the Knicks will chase McGrady. They have played their best basketball over the past month, in part because of better chemistry. Injecting a 30-year-old former All-Star into the mix, especially one who is used to being the No. 1 option, is inherently risky.

Could McGrady lead the Knicks into the playoffs? Would his knees hold up? Could the Knicks re-sign him next summer as a lure to other star free agents?

“I think those are all questions that need to be asked and answered as best you can,” D’Antoni said. “You don’t have a crystal ball, so you don’t know all that. You just try to make the best decision you can make and hope it’s the right one and go with it.”

hmmm....

7. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If you can get Jordan Hill for Tracy McGrady you pull the trigger at once...

8. redao

redao Member

TMAC will bring Knicks down. Utah will get No.1 pick.

Don't ever trade TMAC to Knicks.

9. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

With the gun pointed at McGrady's head. Hill has played like a bust so far. Not sure if you are not better off just shooting McGrady and collect insurance.

1 person likes this.
  10. Asian Sensation

[Clutchfans BBS Member] Asian Sensation 'intrigued' by Danilo Gallinari.

11. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

and that tmac may still have another month to go to getback into form..

12. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

gallinari aint going anywhere people, he's D'antoni's pet.

13. afnorth123

afnorth123 Member

The Knicks and their fans are delusional beyond belief

14. G.O.A.T.

G.O.A.T. Contributing Member

I am "intrigued" by large breasts.

15. PeppermintCandy

Or to paraphrase D'Antoni:

"I think you always have to be intrigued with large breasts like those of Pamela Anderson."

16. declan32001

declan32001 Member

Please, please, please just let TMac's contract expire. No one knows how good he is now (mgmt. played that smartly) but I want flexibility going into next year.

I've always thought the "ultimate" FA crop of 2010 had nothing to do with us, and has been stated many times we're not well situated for pipe dreams.

Unless Bosh really wants to get back to Texas, I don't want any trade. Even Wade and CP3 are looking fragile to me.

17. asmith8266

asmith8266 Member

If Jordan Hill can get playing time for the Knicks, he might as well be in the CBA.

18. asmith8266

asmith8266 Member

Meant to say "can't".

Clutchfans needs a friggin edit button.

19. Slick Rick

Slick Rick Member

Verying Interesting Trade. All three contracts are expiring and add to around 21 million.

Walsh wants to keep Gallinari and Lee to attract the max player. Labron is not going to NY, but Walsh might look at Bosh.

I would only favor a trade that gives us significant cap space in July.

20. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

ONLY if there is a 3rd team involved. Morey said gimme something to work with or no deal.