1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chron: T-Mac sits until he can be worked in (Coach unsure how to distribute minutes)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sweet Lou 4 2, Dec 26, 2009.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

If you noticed they are saying they are trying, but he is at home.

DD

2. Audioout

Audioout Member

What I don't seem to understand is that people state that Tmac HAS to be a role player type player to fit in on Adelman's Rockets. That if he got his 25-30 on this team that he would be automatically doing something wrong.

I mean, didn't Adelman have Drexler once? I don't recall him being a "role player".

Are you telling me that if we got Wade or Lebron we would want them to play like role players?

Also, why does Trevor get free reign to go crazy out there? And don't tell me it's because of his development because if that was the case, I would think we should be teaching him the importance of efficiency like Budinger.

3. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

stop reading into the PR. it's over. it's a wrap. i will be extremely surprised if tracy plays again for us after this episode.

i look for him to demand a trade or tell the team to consider a buyout (as his agent is involved).

4. DaDakota

The Rockets have ZERO motivation to buy him out because insurance covers his contract.

I think Tmac is stuck.....

If Tracy were as good as those guys today, they would have found a way to work him in...but he isn't anymore.

And that is the main problem.

DD

5. MayoRocket

MayoRocket Contributing Member

I think what the Rockets are struggling with is Tracy could be exactly the player they need...BUT he's not capable of that right now. They know they won't get anyone with his skillset in a trade. They also know he plays well extremely well with Yao. What they have to figure out is will he EVER be capable of being the player they need.

The Rockets are looking at more than just this year. Do any of y'all honestly think the offense is going to run at this breakneck pace next year with Yao back? They are going to run a lot more half court sets--why wouldn't you when you have the most dominant low-post player in the league?

If there was no chance of Yao coming back, then I think Tracy would've been long gone by now.

I actually don't think McGrady's pesonality is playing much of a role for Morey and Adelman. I think the only thing they are trying to work out is if TMac can be an asset for them as a player or not. Adelman put up with Bonzi Wells and with Ron Artest (twice). McGrady is a cakewalk compared to those two buffons.

We'll see.

6. t_mac1

you can't judge a guy how good he is 6 games back playing 8 minutes a game. amare in his SECOND COMEBACK from microfracture looks 5x worse than mcgrady in his first 5 to 6 games and just suddenly found a way from then on (it helps that he played 20+ minutes consistently and got ramped up to 30 despite 3 scoreless games).

it's a REASON the team is using to NOT play mcgrady. it's that simple.

the same problem will face the team next year when yao returns. he is always slow. he definitely cannot play this style (and he asked for a compromised publicly ALREADY). he just had a serious injury and we don't know how long or when he will be back to his old self, if ever. again, the SAME questions.

are you telling me adelman will NOT increase yao's minutes gradually even if he struggles his first 5-10 games? are you telling me adelman will NOT adjust his offense to a more halfcourt oriented style when yao is in the game?

tracy and adelman don't like each other. so he doesn't want to give him a chance. it's that simple. i hope morey can resolve this soon b/c this will get REAL UGLY after tuesday if tracy remains a rocket.

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Not if he's healthy enough to play.

8. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Last year Tracy made his own decisions, played part time, took an extra "in season training camp" and eventually quit on the team. He thought he called the shots.

This year he's found out no player is greater than the good of the team and that the team can win without him and he no longer calls the shots or is needed like he wishes he was.

If he can show the coach he can hustle every play on defense and play within the offense then he may still get a chance to play for the rockets. If not then we'll see what happens.

If it were me I'd just let him sit out the season if he can't get with the program. I'd rather watch the Team play hard and win as a team than be concerend about Tmac's feelings about playing time ect. No way would I trade him for some over priced long contract that doesn't fit the teams needs long term.

9. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

Drexler at age 31 or Wade/Lebron today = 10x the player Tmac is today

10. HouSportsScene

Man, I'm with you. Let McGrady and Ariza share the 40+ minutes that Ariza has been getting. He's terrible so the team has to get better with T-Mac on the floor.

The only way I say trade him is if you can get Kaman or another 7-footer of that calibre. I don't understand why you give away or waste one of the most versatile players in the league.

They need him!

11. DaDakota

Yes you can...because the team has players that are already playing his position and they are winning, the Amare situation is completely irrelevent the guy had years left on his contract, this is entirely different.

If Yao is not ready, and is not contributing, I am not sure they do increase his minutes......I guess we shall see....

Why would anyone like an employee that constantly goes behind your back and whines to the media like a petulant child?

Adelman has warriors on his team, guys who work hard on both ends, why let a prima donna malcontent screw that chemistry up? Especially since that malcontent is not healthy and not playing as well as the guys in front of him, and whom have longer term contracts.

Tracy is facing the dilemna of:

a. He is not healthy
    b. He is a spoiled brat
    c. His contract is expiring
    d. He wants to play his game

He just doesn't fit...been saying it all year, and it is still true today.

I believe it does.....after the 41st game, any game he misses is 80% covered by insurance. According to numerous reports.

DD

12. HouSportsScene

That's way off. Drexler - 10 times the scorer maybe but definitely not 10 times the player. And Wade and/or Lebron is not something you can count on. You have to play the cards you're dealt.

I'm tired of you people hating on McGrady because he's not the league's leading scorer anymore. Now if you would've said McGrady is 10 times the player that Ariza is then, yes, you would've been correct.

How did Scola do guarding Rashard Lewis? Or Ryan Anderson? McGrady gives the team so much versatility on offense and defense that you can't judge by the numbers alone.

13. HouSportsScene

You can't be serious that Ariza is better than him. That's absurd! See for yourself...

http://houstonsportsscene.wordpress.com/2009/12/11/2009-arizabattier-1/

14. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

lol you want stacy in the game for her defense?? :eek:

are you like her nephew or something?? :grin:

15. DaDakota

16. Pete Chilcutt

Pete Chilcutt Contributing Member

Its good to see some faith in Ariza from you! :)

17. PeppermintCandy

This is the thing I don't quite get. Was McGrady's reasoning "Well, if you're only giving me 7 minutes per game, then it's not worth it for me to be here. I'd rather go home and skip this road trip"?

If so, that's pretty insulting to his teammates.

18. DaDakota

Welcome to the world of MeMac.

DD

19. t_mac1

using your logic: he didn't even try to close out on dooling TWICE last night down the stretch. is that effort or was dooling to far away to close out?

20. BugOnAHarley

BugOnAHarley Contributing Member

I agree with RA limiting TM for now. The team chemistry without him and Yao is amazing. Yes, there are holes that this team needs to fill but TM is not the right guy right now. Better to keep the guys in that are getting it done and if they have an off night, let them work through it and learn how to get it done again.

TM has become a jump shooter since injuries started dominating his career and coming back off of surgury has not changed that so far. This team lacks size and in crunch time when you need someone to take it to the rack, you don't need another guy waiting on the perimeter to jack up a 3. Since he has returned TM has not been that impressive taking the ball to the hole. He does not command a double or triple team like he has in the past so his value to the team is limited for now.

The schedule should be getting easier after the new year and I think if TM can get his mind right and shows that he is all for the team, he can be a valuable asset, but from what I have seen so far, he is not there. He may never be there. I get the impression that he wants to be treated like a superstar and if he isn't he is going to pout.

Putting him in for 6 or seven minutes for a few games and then benching him for a couple more can be just as disruptive to the team chemistry as last year was with him in and out from game to game. Maybe with more home games coming up and more practice time to figure things out RA can help work him into the team in a way that makes sense, but for now, I think you have to go with the guys that are getting it done.

It will be interesting to see when Yao is back how RA will handle him. I really think the team is going in a new direction and does not see TA or YM as the anchors any longer.