1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you think Ariza is trying to do too much?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kaitanuva, Dec 23, 2009.

?

Do you think Ariza is trying to do too much?

1. No. He's doing exactly what he should be doing.

9 vote(s)
    3.2%
  2. No, I believe he has potential to be great, he just needs time.

22 vote(s)
    7.8%
  3. Yes, but our offense is just so lacking that we are being forced to make him become what he is not.

100 vote(s)
    35.3%
  4. Yes. Ariza should snap out of this delusion right now.

152 vote(s)
    53.7%
  1. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Member

Here's some food for thought. There are 20 players in the NBA who have -0.3 offensive win shares or worse this year. 18 of them are on teams that are under .500 (in case you aren't aware, win shares is partly based on how many games your team wins). The other 2 are CJ Miles and Trevor Ariza.

2. 11Rox4Life3

11Rox4Life3 Member

Yes, among the top 50 shot attempt leaders in the NBA, Ariza is the worst percentage shooter in the NBA. He's 5th in the league in three point attempts, and shooting a terrible 32% from distance. He's 7th in the league in minutes, and only gets to the line 3.5 times per game - and he shoots 65% from there too.

His handles are horrible, his ability to create is non existant, and he's chucking at an insane rate (shot attempts over guys like Carter, Bosh, Deron), and shooting like absolute trash. The game yesterday was a prime example, we were within 2-4, until Ariza decided he wanted to be that guy to bring us back fully, and give us the lead, then he'd go on to 0-5 shooting, and the lead ballooned to over double digits.

It's come to the point you cringe when he makes a shot, because it's bound to get to his head, and he's bound to miss the next 5 shots. The Rockets are trying to make him do too much, and Ariza is not realizing when to stop, thus doing too much.

38/32/65, oh my god..

3. EbolaScola

EbolaScola Member

I don't think he's trying to do too much. I think he's trying to do what the coaches want him to do, which happens to be too much for him.

4. hitman1900

hitman1900 Member

I don't think the coaches are asking him to suck badly.

5. warmshizzle

warmshizzle Member

Please Coach, make him stop!

He doesn't have the handles to shoot jumpshots. He doesn't. Make him develop handles in the off season, make him practise dribbling with a blindfold. Anything to make him stop. Please.

6. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

play Mike instedad of giving Ariza more minutes. that wayhe'll be more careful and make good decision.

7. FaBo

FaBo Member

Yeah, I agree with that. The problem is that Ariza's potential is not even close to Kobe's. Ariza IS a role player, not a franchise player or a superstar, so he should stop playing like one. I don't mind him taking 10 shots a game IF the majority of them are good shots, but his shot selection - yesterday's game in Orlando was the perfect ecample - is just awful. And I understand that RA wants Ariza to develop, but you can't let him stay on the floor if he is playing like yesterday.

8. dtowninyourtown

dtowninyourtown Contributing Member

I understand he came here to "expand his role" but the Adelman can only let this failed experiment continue for so long. He has to stop letting Ariza ruin the offense and make this team worse. Maybe if we were 5-24 or something like that then I wouldn't mind but we have a chance to make the playoffs here so it would be best for Ariza to learn to play with them team instead of trying to create something that is never there.

I cannot stand watching this guy at all. He is terrible and I hate it everything he shoots the ball or walks up to the free throw line. He has about 2 good games a month and then shoots 3-15 or 1-10 in all the other games. Thats horrible and it has to stop as soon as possible. Tmac needs more playing time instead of letting Ariza take crappy shots all willy nilly.

9. matthappy

matthappy Member

surely ariza is a decent role player instead of go -to guy.

but for this season i don' care give this guy more time to develop.

10. LittleWilly

LittleWilly Member

As long as the coach and GM keep repeating that Ariza is doing what they want him to do, then I am going to trust their judgment on the issue.

I do agree that watching him try to dribble or create can be cringe inducing however.

11. goodbug

goodbug Contributing Member

Ariza was doing what Artest was doing in Rockets last year. Only he's even less capable.

12. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

The way I see it is the organization is just paying Ariza his due. He came here because Adelman said he would be "featured" on offense. We aren't winning a title this year so there is no real harm in throwing Ariza a bone. Once Yao comes back, surely things will be different. If we really wanted to win max games, McGrady would be in Ariza's role and Trevor would back up Shane at 20-25 minutes max.

13. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

let make one thing clear: ariza is NOT a go-to guy although he does have more opportunities.

here are his updated stats after tonight's game:

fg% - 37.8%
    3pt% - 31.6%

and let's not get into his defense. he repeatedly got blown his man (3 times in a row by terrence williams and repeatedly left dooling open).

i can't wait for either cbud to get healthy so he can get 30+ minutes and trevor goes back to 20 or something. dude is TERRIBLE. we are winning in SPITE of the guy the same way we won with rafer alston.

14. Aznoob

Aznoob Member

Haha, yeah. I love the Alston comparison.

It's like Ariza works against us in games.

15. clos4life

clos4life Member

Rafer lovers rejoice! He has come back but disguised as a tall and lanky 6-8 player named Ariza!

16. davidxhz

davidxhz Member

seriously, I think ariza has to stop shooting so many shots, try to play within the offense, slash more, pass more, how many 1-?? games from 3s will he have so that he can understand right now he is not a superstar, maybe several years later he will, but he is not right now

17. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Boy did Ariza choose the wrong situation, lol. Yao and T-mac injured sure doesn't help since he is looking like an inefficient chucker since he is forced into a top scoring option. Ideally we know this will not be a permanent role for his Rockets career, but boy is it frustrating to watch him play right now.

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Very painful...when he shoots you have that Rafer feeling where you are HOPING it goes in.....but the odds are against it.

DD

19. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

hey clutch, I think you have the perfect replacement of Ron Artest's shot selection for the red reputation :eek:

20. Lonestar

Lonestar Member

A career night for Ariza plus a win

Hes got 13-11-8 (8 asists) tonight and helped a win and a record 18-12. Near a triple double. You guys are still bashing him like no tomorrow

I understand though. The SheMac things were translated into Ariza hate. Unbelievable :grin: :grin:

We are not a talented team. Our most talented player is home with his son for the 0.23-million-dollar birthday party. Besides him we are having big big hearted heardest-worked players around NBA

You might say that's double standard, but i respest everyone who does his best in what he is doing. That's why i respect these players even one night one performs badly.

Look at Kobe, he is very talented, however he works hard like no tomorrow which i really respect. Hes redeemed himself completely from Colorado Case years ago. I expect Tiger Woods will do the same. And similarly i hope our most talented player could work the butt off to win back the fans (no matter whatever team he lands in the future)

Go Rox