1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How many years does Tmac have left?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by warmshizzle, Dec 20, 2009.

?

How many years does he have left as a good player?

1. 1

2.9%
  2. 2

9.5%
  3. 3

30.4%
  4. 4

14.7%
  5. 5+

24.2%
  6. None, I think McGrady is washed up already.

18.3%
  1. warmshizzle

warmshizzle Member

How long do you think Mcgrady has as an above average player in this league? By above average I would think it would mean being better than just a decent roleplayer.

I think its obvious from his recent play that even if he doesn't regain his athleticism back he is still a very good player in the league.

It's interesting because, even though Mcgrady is 30 this year, he really hasn't played many games in his career and hasn't had to endure the touch 82 game schedule of the nba. So I would assume that his body still has some mileage on it, but the injuries hes had obviously would have some negative impact as well.

To put things into perspective, Ive compared his minutes played with Kobe Byrant and Grant Hill. Ive chosen these two because Kobe is only one year older than Mcgrady and has had a relatively injury free career, has played the majority of nba scheduled games in his career and has only recently . Grant Hill because hes 37, has had a career riddled with major injuries and so hasn't played as many minutes as you would expect him to and has lost two or three steps in quickness and athleticism but nevertheless stills remains at least decently athletic at his position.

Kobe has played 41,700 minutes in the NBA
    Grant Hill has played 29,737 minutes in the NBA
    and Tracy McGrady has played 29,105 minutes in the NBA.

So Kobe has played 1.5 times more minutes in the NBA than McGrady has, and Mcgrady and Hill have played nearly the same amount. It's going to be interesting to see how much McGradys injuries will affect the rest of his career.

So, what do you think?

2. warmshizzle

warmshizzle Member

*Kobe has only recently started to lose a step

3. pli777

pli777 Member

I didn't know Tmac = Kobe.

4. warmshizzle

warmshizzle Member

? what?
    I never said he did, which leads me to ask what in the world are you on about?

5. goodbug

goodbug Contributing Member

Kobe actually takes care of his body. Dedicated therapy after each game. Work hard in offseason. And he knows how to protect himself in games. TMac is out of shape in every training camp, and he relies on athleticism to be a good player. TMac will retire after this season or gets buried on the bench of certain bad team. He isn't even as good as AI but has as big an ego. We probably will see TMac in baseball uniform next year.

6. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

you = no common sense...

7. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

l.. o.. l

that was funny

8. warmshizzle

warmshizzle Member

I wish you were our GM.

9. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Where's that guy who wanted to trade Tracy for a bag of cheetos? :grin:

10. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

This guy is still coming back from an injury. Let's wait and see how he comes back before asking questions such as these...

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

It could be 5, it could be 0.....

It all depends on whether he can get his quickness and explosiveness back.

And, whether he trusts his knee to hold up.

DD

12. BBstanley

BBstanley Member

according to his performances last season,he's washed up already,but since he is back from rehab,i guess he is okay already,just that his playing time is too little for me to see anything from it

13. rockets119

rockets119 Member

probably have a post surgery career like chris webber
    probably 3-5 years

14. OldSchool34

OldSchool34 Member

None.....This guy has already had an injury history and now he is coming back after getting the toughest surgery to come back to for any NBA Player, Microfracture Surgery. I don't know why anybody would think he would have 3 years left, I would say 1-2 Max and that's it. Only one person has come back and back to normal after Microfracture Surgery, That's Amare Stoudemire who was in his young 20s when he had it. Look at Jason Kidd, Chris Webber, Antonio McDyess, etc. They are all done, what's keeping Kidd in the league is his hustle, IQ and defense same thing goes for McDyess. Webber is not in this league anymore.

T-Mac doesn't have what it takes to come back from Microfracture surgery and be a great player anymore, He's just average at this point.

15. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Very true. He made that critical decision,only an orthopedic surgeon can comment whether it was the right thing to do or not. It makes me sad to see him struggling out there without his smooth athleticism.

16. redao

redao Member

He is not even worth a bag of cheetos. We have to give a bag of cheetos to move him.

17. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Depends on your definition of good, I'd say as an all-star or top 4 guard, 1 to 2 (at best), he's not conditioned, like Kobe or even other lesser shooting guards. Unless, he trains himself as hard as other players, like Grant Hill or Yao Ming, who are often injured or aging, like Karl Malone, Wilt Chamberlain, or Dikembe Mutombo.

He won't sustain the high level of play, everyone is used to seeing if that aspect of his game doesn't change.

I believe he could be a nice contributing starter or 6th man for about 3-4 years. He could be good on a team that has alot of other parts, where he wouldn't be the featured scorer.

18. worzel gummidge

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  19. OldSchool34

OldSchool34 Member

It probably was the right thing.....but even before he made it, he still wasn't Tracy Mcgrady when he was 21-23. Mcgrady is just not the same player anymore and he wasn't last season either. He's out of excuses. I believe this season or after this season, his tenure with Houston will be over. There's no reason why he should stay. He's done nothing to deserve it.

20. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Let's wait and see. There is no way he is still a max player.