1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why are T-Mac's minutes not being increased during each game?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Notorious_Flava, Dec 18, 2009.

1. oakton

oakton Member

7 mins a game is about right. There is absolutely no need for him to get more minutes at this stage.

2. Rocketsmith

Rocketsmith Member

I disagree, with the lost of Landry, the Rocket announcers were thinking we could see T-Mac in the 2nd half. We really missed our "closer" (Landry).

3. jsonic6

jsonic6 Contributing Member

His minutes will go up when we play lesser quality teams. A game like tonight against the top team in our division, RA probably didn't feel comfortable fearing that it might throw off the chemistry we got going all season so far. Just my thoughts.

He seemed good out there tonight but baby steps my friends, baby steps... He'll get there.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I live in the moment, I call it like I see it....no holds barred.

He looked pretty good tonight best he has looked.

Still not there, but he is gaining confidence.

DD

5. TheGreatWall

TheGreatWall Member

dont be noob. He ruins chemisrty and is not 100 percent yet. Why play him more minutes...

1 person likes this.
  6. mjharleem22

mjharleem22 Member

can anybody really take u seriously??

7. milkoholic17

milkoholic17 Member

Yeh, like you can produce after only 8 minutes on the court.. :rolleyes:

8. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

T-mac's minutes are fine right now. As many have said already in this thread, I believe Rick is genuinely looking out for McGrady. He might be a little sour on him after last season but I doubt he is trying to screw him over but rather trying to prolong his career (whether he is a Rocket in the future or not).

Hopefully they can increase T-mac's minutes to 10-12 minutes by the end of the month.

9. BrownBeast99

BrownBeast99 Member

Speaking of noob...look at your post count.

10. redwhiteone

redwhiteone Member

Mac is my favorite player but most of the comments here are right, the minutes should not be increased yet because it would be detrimental to the team and also because it would be detrimental to his healing process. This recovery is, most of all, a process. Much appreciated that you want Mac's minutes to increase but for now, the minutes are fine :)

11. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

he looks really bad out there on offense..his defense is better than i thought actually (had a block on dirk last night)

but he has no idea where to be on offense and is hardly moving

though there was a part of me last night that was hoping rick would put him in the last play and create something since thats where tracy's strengths were needed the most.

at least we got the W all that matters

12. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

we must have watched different games. I'm no tracy apologist, but I thought he looked very good out there last night. Is he still learning his spot in the offense? sure. He's getting 7 minutes a game with anywhere from 2-3 plays run for him. That's pretty tough to get your touch back with that limited a run. and if you'll notice, the offense consists of three people primarily rotating and cutting with two people spreading the floor. If it's not on of those 2-3 plays for him, his job is to space.

He rebounded well and even tried starting a fast break yesterday. He played defense very well. If Dirk hadn't have come out, I wouldn't have been surprised to see Tracy play a few minutes in the second half with him on Dirk.

I honestly feel with what i've seen so far, it is only a matter of time before a) he takes over Trevor's spot in the offense, or b) he's traded for something of value because he does have something left in the tank and teams will realize it.

I also love how Adelman is handling his minutes because I think Webber is right and that extended minutes would be detrimental at this stage.

13. Notorious_Flava

does everyone remember Amar'e stoudamire? He had the same injury and when he came back the next year he was immediately given big minutes. Sure he wasn't himself and was a little rusty, but I remember him contributing a lot to the Suns. Sometimes I really think you guys forget that T-Mac is a superstar. He's a great playmaker. If you put him him around 20 minutes a game he'll flat out make plays including scoring the ball. Let's put it this way..... I don't care how good this team has been looking recently..... this team without T-Mac is not getting out of the 2nd round. AT LEAST!!! Let T-Mac get his 7 minute stint in the 4th quarter so we can have a closer

14. DaDakota

Amare had to shut it down again, and it was another year in which he got back to normal.

That means Tracy won't make it back until NEXT year....

DD

15. ACL1

ACL1 Member

that is what sets him above Ariza even playing on one bum leg

16. DaDakota

Ariza makes smart plays too....like that one step dunk from the FT line against the zone last night.

They are just different skillsets.

DD

17. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Part of the logic is to play TMac when he is still relativly warm from the warmup before the game. And then don't put him back in after he has cooled off. Only let him play when his knee is 'warm'. Not to say that he couldn't ride a bike or do warm ups at halftime, but I think the idea is don't let him get tired and put extra stress on the knee.

And I thought the Mavs game was his best effort ytd. Instead of playing on the outside and looking for the J, he went inside more often and seemed to be looking to pass.

It is a process; lingering doubts from a serious injury, rust, new system, new team mates and such. I forgot who it was a couple of years back got traded to the Jazz after he had been with the Jazz about ten years earlier. Said he fit right in because it was the same coach running the same plays with the same players.

18. RockingRox

RockingRox Member

OP, if you hate Tmac, get him more minutes. Webber played too many minutes after coming back from the surgery and essentially that wasted him.

19. seaweed

seaweed Member

he is supposed to be a star level player (if not superstar level), not merely a normal team player. So he's not doing well.

20. echu888

echu888 Member

Does anyone remember Chris Webber? He had the same injury and when he came back he was immediately given big minutes. A few years later he is out of basketball and commentating on TV, strongly advising McGrady not to play big minutes immediately but to take his time and start very slowly on his return from surgery.