1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Video: McGrady on offense/defense vs. Denver

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Prince

Prince Member

defensively, tmac was pretty much like the first game of Stro against the the Kings here. TErrible.

2. abrocketsfan

abrocketsfan Contributing Member

Bill Worrell is really giving McGrady a hard time lol ... 16 minutes of play on the court and I've heard him knock Tracy on at least 5 occasions...

3. roxwin

roxwin Member

Its very clear,Tmac needs the ball to make things happen and he has excellent passing skill.give him few more games,let him get back to game model,he will be fine

4. DwangBoy

DwangBoy Member

Scola can't set screens.. he falls to easily.

5. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

the 2.26 mark absence of D by mcgrady on the billups break is pretty much as bad as last years toronto game, there is no care for D

6. J.Will.Xu

J.Will.Xu Member

He'd already picked up a quick foul on Melo's drive, maybe in his mind he's still thinking that he would play the rest of the quarters, so it's not worth committing a foul on a break.

On most occasions last game, he did a heckuva job defensively on Melo given his playing time, well, maybe it should all boil down to Carmelo's bad shooting night. :rolleyes:

7. HookemHorns1250

I find it quite hilarious at people pointing at Tracy's +/- for the Denver game as if that's when we lost the game.

However, they fail to mention how Tracy had one of the highest +/- in the Detroit game. Does that mean he won us the game? Or does it only matterr when his +/- is at the negative end.

I'm not one of the Tracy only fans but the hate he's getting is unbelievable. People acting like Scola and him are feuding right now because of a disagreement. It happens in basketball. It's happened with this Rockets team on the floor before Tracy stepped foot on it. Players have disagreements.

It was a tough game on the road against a tough Denver team. Get over it.

8. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

he knows he's playing limited minutes, worrying about foul trouble as opposed to showing commitment and effort on D really be his focus, this team plays hard, he can't be above this

1 person likes this.
  9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Morey said today Smeg that they will play him and then evaluate....right now, he is not hustling as much as he could in limited minutes...

let's see if it gets better as he plays more.....but I think old habits die hard.

DD

10. J.Will.Xu

J.Will.Xu Member

His effort on D was not bad at all in terms of his presence in his 8 minutes of action, one bad decision that he didn't cover that spot leading up to a easy fast break layup couldn't illustrate his game, neither can the +/- stat. If he stopped Billups with a hard foul and the bucket counted, 2 and 1 play would have been a different story and his stupidity on D would have been an issue maybe?

Under certain conditions, fouling a break play would not be a smart move given that we're playing uptempo basketball, running and gunning, giving up points then we should get back on the offensive end asap.

11. mjharleem22

mjharleem22 Member

if you can tell, this is his second game back. he is still a little hesitant to make a move on both sides of the floor, although i will point out he is getting more comfortable on the defensive side.

12. rox81

rox81 Member

T-Mac will never pass the eyeball test. He has that one lazy eye that makes him appear sluggish at all times!

But seriously, he just has an effortless way of moving that makes him appear uninterested unless he has the ball in his hands. It's kind of like - and I have to dig into the archives for this one - Herschel Walker. Totally different sport, and different way of moving, but H-Dub had a way of gliding that made it look like he wasn't trying.

T-Mac's movement has that same slithery quality. He just slides around and then suddenly POW! Only he hasn't had the time/inclination to show us the POW side yet.

13. raj87

raj87 Member

The Herschel Walker comparison is a valid one, to be sure. Another footballer to consider, is Paul Warfield, the man they called "poetry in motion".

14. TMACFORMVP

TMACFORMVP Member

I don't agree with this. He had that one slippage on the fastbreak where he didn't do anything to affect the shot, but aside from that, I thought his movement on Melo was good, and only once did he really beat him off the dribble. I'm not sure he hit a shot in that stretch. The other time he got beat by Melo was a switch off. Melo burned everyone on the Rockets, and he got some plays on McGrady, but I'd have to question if you saw the game to come to the conclusion he was TERRIBLE defensively in that game.

He definitely needs more conditioning, you can see it when he's on the court. He looks lost offensively at times too, wondering when to play off the ball, or with the ball. It's funny, IMO, he's looked better on the defensive end than he has on the offensive end.

15. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

I thought they said this...

T-Mac - I need to stop and talk to you right now. Just stop and talk to me...
    Scola - What do you mean, about tonite?
    T-Mac - Where are we going after the game?
    Scola - Oh, we were going karoke, a new place..
    T-Mac - Not again...
    Scola - It's right outside. Its not far, just next to that...
    T-mac - But....
    Scola - No. It's right there. But you have to go.
    T-mac - Yeah, you said that last time.
    Scola - No more. It's right there. You have sing the alto part...

Or at least that is what I got.

16. Cosmonaut

Cosmonaut Member

Personally I think anyone judging a player harshly that is played a total of 15 minutes in 2 games that is coming back from a serious injury such as micro fracture surgery should be ashamed of themselves. Its like many of you just expected him to be 100% healthy tmac
    There are so many mental issues a player has to go through to start thinking positively and have confidence in their body again and to think they can still actually play. Then there is the physical things such as getting the body use to the speed of the game and rhythm, I think a lot of you forget practice is a lot different than actually playing in a real game.

Just give him time and starts playing decent minutes and has a better feel and rhythm for the game before you start picking out all his little mistakes and flaws. Cause you know what he will make mistakes he will look a little lost for a bit and he will look a little sluggish

But if you wish to keep judging your just showing your lack of knowledge for sports

17. shenyu5783611

shenyu5783611 Member

Nice pass by TMAC.

Nobody can pass the ball like him in our team.

18. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

If Jermaine Taylor had played Tmacs minutes and had the exact same performance this would be a non story. He didn't cost us the Denver game any more than he won us the Detroit game, nor did he show anything to say he should be playing any more minutes than he has gotten. He did fine passing the ball, but it wasn't anything amazing. Some of you are acting like he was Magic Johnson in his prime out there or something. Likewise his defense was below average, but no worse than most of Von Wafer last year. He had some big mistakes as well as some solid possesions which is understandable after such a major surgery.

I am concerned that Tmac in his prime was most comfortable dominating the ball which took advantage of the passing and one on one skills he had when he was completely healthy. If his health limits him to playing off the ball and standing around on the perimeter Budinger is just as good or better at that role.

If he can get healthy and out play every one else on the team then by all means play him, but like I said just based on what we have actually seen on the court, if that had been Jermaine Taylor making the same performances over the last two games, I doubt there would be a huge out cry of people wanting to see more Jermaine Taylor minutes.

19. DdotConrad503

DdotConrad503 Member

lol so you would rather him sandwich chauncey with landry coming from behind? or chauncey possibly getting a 3 point play? either way you would have found a way to bash mcgrady. if chauncey wasn't so smooth landry could have blocked it, or if landry was just a little bit closer. on the other hand, solid D by Tmac. there's no way anyone could be disappointed in him.. unless they're just flat out haters