1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Top 10 Favorite Rockets Moments of 2000s

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The_Yoyo, Dec 16, 2009.

1. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

As December 2009 is nearing its end the decade is almost over. I just wanted to look back and ask what are your personal favorite top 10 rocket related moments of the 2000s (2000-2009)

here are mine:

TIE-10. McGrady's game winning layup vs Lakers in LA/game 22 of the streak
    9. Drafting of Yao Ming
    8. Yao's first 20 pt game vs lakers
    7. Game 6 playoffs vs blazers
    6. Barkley's final game in Houston (barkley was an all-time favorite for me even before coming to Houston)

5. 'The Dunk' & Game 2 of 2005 playoffs

I was watching game with some friends at a sports bar in Pomona where the manager was a Mavs fan. We made a bet that if the Rockets won everything my friends and I ate and drank would be on the house and if the Mavs won (he also gave me the spread) that I would pay him double the cost of the meal. When Tmac went up for the dunk the entire sports bar exploded we were all high-fiving going nuts. I had lakers fans come up to me screaming in joy. It was only surpassed when Tracy hit the game winning shot.

4. The Trade

After the Hakeem era the rockets were mediocre--the worst thing an NBA team could be...not terrible enough to rebuild through the lottery and truly not good enough to be a contender. I loved Francis, but understood his shortcomings and when he was traded for Tracy McGrady I was shocked. Here we were getting one of the top 5 players in the league, pairing him up with Yao. I had never been sooo pumped in my life, I felt like I did back in the mid to late 90s when the Rockets were respected again.

3. 13 in 33

I remember this night pretty well. I had to drop my mom and sister off at the airport and I was rushing home as fast as I could to catch the game. My bro-in-law thought I was a maniac trying to weave in and out at those speeds in the heavy LA traffic. I get home and turn on the tv and see the score with just 3 minutes left to play. I was sad, low scoring game gonna lose to the spurs. My dad told me to turn the game off and he left the room to go take a shower. My bro-in-law went into the computer room to do some work I stayed on to watch the game. And then it happened I could not believe myself I was screaming so loud I scared my bro-in-law that soemthing happened. My legs were were as I stood up and just fell back down at what happened. My dad came out and saw the final score and said "how the f---?" (it is till to this day the ONLY time i've ever heard my dad use that word)

2. Game 1 2007 playoffs

This is more special to me because this was the first time I attended a game in Houston..a playoff game versus the Jazz and Dave2000 was able to get together a group of nearly 110 clutchfans together in the upper levels. It was an awesome experience being at the TC for the first time, meeting all the great people who now are good friends for the first time. Having waaaay too many drinks at Stack's place beforehand only made it that much better. I just wanted to thank everyone that was there who help make that day as special as it was.

1. Shaq-Yao 1

So much hype was building up to this game...I was so nervous, more nervous about this game than when I had finals. The first 5 minutes were just amazing every hair on my body (and thats saying something cuz I'm indian) was standing up straight..I'll admit it I was tearing up seeing Yao take it at Shaq. Then of course Shaq proceeded to realize that he was the #1 center in the league and destroyed Yao. But Francis had probably the best game of his career 44 points and 10 assists including the game winning pass to Yao's dunk in overtime. I know it was a regular season game but it was just magical even taking out the enormity of Shaq and Yao's first matchup the game itself was great. I dont think I've ever heard the 'compaq center' that loud since the championship years. Everytime I see a replay it still gives me goosebumps watching it

So there you have mine....what are yours?

#1 The_Yoyo, Dec 16, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
  2. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

The streak didn't make your list??? How can the streak not make your list?? :)

3. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

Taking the Lakers to game 7 without Yao or Tracy. Showing that hard work, determination, and strong will can overcome even the best of teams.

4. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

Yeah the streak was a huge thing but in terms of one singular event it was not. If I picked the streak it would have either been game 22 vs LA or game 8 when novak hit the game winner

i'll put game 22 as a tie for #10...

like i said its a personal list all of the moments I put on there had either personal/sentimental meaning for me

5. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lw6dCKwKvRA&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lw6dCKwKvRA&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

1 person likes this.
  6. Evil Empire

Evil Empire Member

10. 2008 playoffs Carl Landry block and save to win vs Jazz game 3

9. Yao perfect game in LA to make Barkley kiss a donkey's ass

8. 2004 playoffs Game 3 vs Lakers - Stevie Franchise takes over

7. Shaq vs Yao first game

6. 2009 playoffs Game 6 1st round clincher vs Portland - the curse is over

5. 2005 playoffs Game 2 vs Mavs - McGrady game winner

4. 2009 playoffs 2nd round game 1 vs Lakers - Yao hurt but the warrior returns to lead us to victory

3. T- Mac 13 in 33

2. 22nd straight win vs Lakers - Skip To my Lou on fire

1. 2009 playoffs Game 6 2nd round vs Lakers - no Yao, no problem. This game embodies the heart and resiliency the Rockets show and why I love this team so much

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Streak is 1st on my list. That was damn right inspirational, transcended sports, and symbolized how unity and grit could overcome adversity. I was there for win 22, nearly cried as Rafer was thrown out of the game and pointed to the scoreboard.

8. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

gotcha... well I can't make a list as I haven't been around the fandom for the whole of the 2000's, but the 10's? I am there! ;)

9. Vinsanity

Vinsanity Contributing Member

5. Tmacs game 7 performance against Utah. Even though we lost that game, it was an amazing memory for me because he literally did everything he could to get us to the 2nd round.

4. The dunk on Bradley in 2005. Will never forget that.

3. The game winner in that same dunk on Bradley game.

2. 22 game win streak.

2. 13 in 33. I WAS AT THIS GAME. So many people left early. So many spurs fans in the building. We stayed. My friend and I fell down in the aisle and got stale beer and soda on our clothes. Then we walked around the toyota center (on the inside) with huge smiles on our faces and watched the spurs fans just shaking their heads, still in shock.

10. Someguy1229

Someguy1229 Member

I would have hated to be one of those Rockets fans that left.

11. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

#1 - Finally getting out of the freaking 1st round of the playoffs!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ulqFFtnHpog&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ulqFFtnHpog&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

12. Al Calavicci

Al Calavicci Contributing Member

Anyone have any clips from this game? I can't find anything on Youtube, mostly cause a bunch of dicks tag their videos with every single basketball player's name or basketball phrase

13. josh_is_white

josh_is_white Member

in no order

1) 22 wins( i missed it i was in bootcamp) =(
    2) taking LA to 7 games( i was at game 7)
    3) trading for mcgrady
    4) tmac 13 in 30
    5) drafing yao
    6) yao VS shaq
    7) carl landry (this entire season)
    8) finally getting out the 1st round
    9) gettin rid of stromile swift ( i hated him )
    10) meeting yao 4 the 1st time( he is so big )

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Getting by the Blazers last year to get to the 2nd round.

DD

15. Melechesh

Melechesh Member

1). getting out of 1st round
    2). 22 streak
    3). game 6 vs lakers last season
    4). game 2 vs mavs 2005 playoffs

16. JujuxG

JujuxG Member

6-Landry block on Dwill in the playoff in 08

5-When yao got hurt last year, during the playoff and wanted to come back out and play (So touching, heart of the champion)

4-Yao vs SHaq

3-game22 when we beat the lakers,

2-The DUNK by Tmac on shawn bradly

1-13point in 33 sec. Amazing.

17. monster

monster Member

#1 13 in 33 was
    #2 22nd straight win....vs LAL...I was at the game and sitting right behind the Lakers bench. I was about to start shouting at Kobe, but decided that was a dumb idea and went after the other players instead.

18. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

1) Second round sans McGrady
    2) Yao/Shaq
    3) The Streak
    4) Walt Williams jumping up to hit Shawn Bradley in the mouth

F it. This decade was horrible.

19. Ramathorn006

Ramathorn006 Contributing Member

1. 2009 Playoffs, Game 6 vs. Lakers "Bulldog mentality"
    2. Win #22, Sunday afternoon vs. the Lakers
    3. 13 points in 35 seconds
    4. Franchise, Cat, Jim Jackson, Yao and the gang get there first playoff taste vs. the Lakers...Boki's block on Malone tearing his jersey
    5. "McGrady sucked the gravity right out of the building"- T-Mac pwnd Bradly
    6. Francis, Cat, Cato for Lue, T-Mac, Howard and Gaines
    7. Ron Artest draws a technical from Kobe saying he made him bleed from the mouth lol
    8. Bob Sura taking down Josh Howard right after Howard tried to punk Yao
    9. With the #1 pick of the 2002 NBA draft the Houston Rockets select Yao Ming from China
    10. 2009 NBA playoffs, Ron Artest and Yao Ming take the monkey off the shoulder and get in the second round of the playoffs.

to be continued...

20. Notorious_Flava

13 in 33.... the single clutchest performance in sports history imo