1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can Anthony Randolph be had?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Audioout, Dec 15, 2009.

1. bringonthe3s

bringonthe3s Member

randolph + ellis + filler
    for
    brooks + battier + cook + dorsey

2. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

Anthony Randolph is in the mold of a KG, LO, and Chris Bosh. He is a matchup nightmare.

Biedrins + Randolph for Battier, Cook, and our 1st round draft pick this year.

or

Biedrins + Randolph for Battier, Scola, and/or our 1st round draft pick this year.

3. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

Haven't you been reading the reports?

When Yao comes back, he'll have to play limited minutes, like 20 minutes per game. Z had to play limited minutes for 2 years after his surgery. Yao's return will impact Andersen and Hayes' minutes, not Landry's.

TMac and Jermaine are the trade baits. There's a reason why Adelman is not playing JT. He likes his 9-man rotation as is. With TMac back (don't know for how long) and then when Yao eventually returns, how is he going to fit JT in there?

4. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Landry and Brooks are studs in my opinion. Perrennial all stars, no, but maybe an appearance or two.

I don't know if I would classify Randolph as a max contract guy....

I already think we are contenders if Yao/McGrady are healthy.

5. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

I'd be willing to give up Yao for Randolph and that's it.

6. RocketFan85

RocketFan85 Member

I don't care if we get Randolph, but I'd give them Yao if they traded Monta Ellis. Brooks and Ellis at guard would be the best young guard combo in the league. Ellis+Randolph for Yao is a good deal to me. Rockets get younger and get something in return for Yao.

7. ommy48

ommy48 Member

I define "stud" as the type of player who is a perennial all-star player (at least 3-4 times in 5-6 years), otherwise the term doesn't mean a whole lot. I do agree that Brooks and Landry could possibly make an all-star game or two, which would make them very good players but not studs.

Randolph is not currently a max player type obviously, but that is his ceiling, and if you obtain him before he reaches that point then you could lock him up at a far reduced value since he is due for a new contract in one year. It would be the type of move that Morey would love because you would be molding a superstar at your pace and price.

The problem with your last statement is that we have all been saying that for 4 years now, and the key issue remains their health, and the fact that McGrady is not assured of staying past this year anyways. But let's say we get Yao back and McGrady signs a short term deal at MLE type money to stay in Houston. Wouldn't having a budding 20 year old superstar who could ostensibly play almost any position on the court, and would help the aging superstars be that much more valuable? Randolph is the type of guy who would be part of the Rocket's present and forseable future. The guy went to LSU and is from the South so I doubt there is anywhere else that he would rather play if given the opportunity to sign a long-term deal with Houston, and along with Brooks would form the next tandem for us long after Yao and Mcgrady are gone.

8. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

golden state cleary said they want to trade away youth for a more mature player, and battier is as mature as they can get in the nba as far as players are concerned.

9. legend215

legend215 Contributing Member

I think people need to understand also that we still haven't tapped into the full potential of Rick Adelman's offense. We've only sped the tempo and body movement up.

I love our bigs but for all of their great positives, their one collective negative is that their few limitations means that RA can't implement a more Sacrmento style, hi post offense.

Chuck Hayes is the only "big" that we have who, at times, can run the hi post offense and hit cutters flashing towards the basket but because of his offensive and height limitations, he's not a consistent threat.

When Scola runs it, it's used more as a semi pick and roll type play. Although he has the mid range game part down, he definitely doesn't have the vision to hit cutters on a consistent basis.

Same goes for Landry.

Randolph on the other hand has the three tools needed to run a hi post offense correctly. He's tall enough and has the vision and passing ability to hit cutters. He has a nice midrange game and he can also put the ball on the floor and drive if the defense dictates that. Very Webberish if you ask me.

Hey, if it's true Riley is interested in Tracy........

Miami receives Tracy McGrady

Golden State receives Jermaine O'neal and Carl Landry

Houston receives Anthony Randolph, Monta Ellis and "I hate to friggin say it but" Corey Regrette, hey it's the only way the salaries work unless we take on more bodies.

We get rid of Tracy and Miami gets their man, Golden State gets a decent big but more importantly a huge expiring and in Landry they get someone who they can pair up with Curry. We get a potential All Star in Randolph and a competent and reliable scorer and playmaker to put next to AB and TA.

Just a thought...

#129 legend215, Dec 16, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
  10. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

cory maggette sucks this year. only thing i ever see him do is draw fouls at the line, and thats about it. his shot looks flat these days, his defense is suspect, and his all around play is not too good. he is good for a bunch of freethrow attempts though. maybe he sucks this year because hes on the warriors.

11. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Your an idiot.

No explanation necessary.

12. ommy48

ommy48 Member

As a long time Bay Area Resident, and long time watcher of the GSW, trust me when i say this (and I am 100% accurate in this statement, as any GSW knows much better than me, just check their blogs and forums to confirm it):

Corey Maggette is an absolutely, unequivocally, terrible player who is declining by the game. The guy is undoubtedly the MOST SELFISH TEAMMATE I HAVE EVER SEEN ON A BBALL COURT, he cares nothing about running the offense and only passes the ball when he has to or when no one expects it, thus resulting in a turnover. The guy is a nice person off the court but is such a bad teammate on it, that his best friend Elton Brand reportedly told the Clippers that he had to get out of there before his friendship with Maggette was ruined by his selfish play on the court. The guy's stats are a mirage because they come at the expense of everything else a team needs to do to win a game. Just watch a few GSW games and you will see that the great fans of the Bay Area despise him and boo his every miss.

here is a recent article about Maggette and how GSW fans are tiring of his play:

http://www.goldenstateofmind.com/2009/12/10/1195718/polling-gsom-do-warriors-fans-need

http://www.insidebayarea.com/warriors/ci_13973927

13. legend215

legend215 Contributing Member

That's why I added that "I hate to friggin say it but" Corey Regrette, hey it's the only way the salaries work unless we take on more bodies.

14. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

You don't make any sense at all.

You yourself claimed this is a year for rebuilding, so why the hell do we want Maggette?

I'd take Ellis and Randolph, but no way in hell is Maggette coming to the Rockets.

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Man, sometimes I feel like this BBS is riding the short bus to school.

Yes, I like Maggette, BUT...in this trade scenario, he is the Poison pill contract who rides the pine.

DD

16. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

What do you think that'll lead to?

We are rebuilding, like you said, we don't want a poison pill contract. I rather the Rockets wait for McGrady's contract to expire than take up Maggette's 4 year contract. There is a huge free agent talent pool next year, and we have more than enough to land on at least one of those free agents.

Randolph and Ellis are players we could use, but not players we can rely on. Not to mention, there is no good reason for Golden state to give away their two best young players.

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yes, see now you are getting it....we get 2 servicable players, and one poison pill that we can flip as an expiring later.

Because if Tmac is allowed to expire, the team only get $7 million of his salary to spend because they are already over the cap.

In my deal they get two players more valuable than that in Randolph and Ellis....

It is a win win...GS gets out of 2 long term deals they don't like...in CM and ME......and Houston gets better.

WIN WIN !!

DD

18. BruceHR

BruceHR Member

I even didnt notice Randolph is better than Carl Landry, if warriors can accept Cook, Im happy to do this trade :grin:

19. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

The Warriors aren't going to trade a future Talent that has been banished by his Dementia ridden coach just because he hasn't been given a chance.

Once Nelson gets his record he's out and all this talk about trading 2nd year players will end.

Ellis, Maggette on the other hand I'm sure and within reach but to me they haven't proven to be WINNERS. They can score don't get me wrong but they are ALL undisciplined and ego-manics.

DO NOT WANT.

20. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

The poison pill contract is there and obvious DD, it doesn't take a genius to know that. Like I said, Monte Ellis and Anthony Randolph are players we can use but not players we can rely on. The Rockets have a good but delicate chemistry. Ellis, Randolph and Maggette are unstable goods. They can either explode or implode. Not to mention, neither Randolph nor Ellis is known for being a humble and smart player.

If the good outweighs the bad, I'll take it. However, in this case we are trading for unstable products. Not the best move if we're looking to rebuild.