1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cities with best and worst tap water

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Pete Chilcutt, Dec 13, 2009.

1. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

How is water free? Do you not pay a monthly water bill?

2. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

This article isn't rating how water tastes ...it's rating the purity.

There would be no way to rate the taste of water since that is a highly subjective thing. For me, I've been all over the world and I can drink Houston water without a blink.

When comparing water purity, it would be like comparing 24k gold vs 22k gold. I'll take either one since many countries have to settle for brass alloy. Just remember to keep things in perspective.

If you are buying bottled water because it 'tastes' better, just keep in mind that nobody is checking purity. If you are worried about taste, there are cheaper options than buying bottled water ...which happens to be more expensive than gas.

3. madmonkey37

madmonkey37 Contributing Member

I hope nobody likes to drink aquafina bottled water because they have a bottling plant in riverside, CA. As far as I know theres no rivers in riverside so their bottled water comes from the tap.

4. rhino17

rhino17 Member

If I am worried about taste, like you said, it is subjective. How are there cheaper options? It's not like bottled water is expensive unless you buy Fiji or something. I don't like the taste of tap water. I buy bottled packs of Dasani. 30 bottles for 5 bucks.

5. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

i think its more harmful to avoid water for aesthetic purposes then it is to drink tap. in this country anyway. dehydration is more of a concern. i drink ice tap water, to burn an extra 80 cals warming it up to body temp. thank you tv.

6. gbritton

gbritton Contributing Member

I'm surprised NY isn't on the top ten for best.

7. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Best water I've ever had was from the Tap in Switzerland.

I drink water from the tap up here in Nacogdoches. I do have a pitcher with a filter though.

Paying for bottled water is for morans....seriously. More for something that is "free" than Gasoline?

8. surrender

surrender Member

Yeah, the water in CS is horrid. I've gotten used to it, though

9. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

How about 'free'? Or pennies on the dollar...happy swoly? :rolleyes:

10. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

point taken, but for all intents and purposes its so cheap its pretty much free - for a little perspective may i offer this...

from my latest utility bill: (for reference, i live in south austin, alone in a 1,200 sf house)
    i used 1,100 gallons of water last month @ a rate of $1.00/1,000 gallons - w/ the $6.70 customer charge = $7.80. break that down by the gallon and its less than 3/4's of a cent ($7.8/1,100 = $.0071).

11. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

NYC definitely has some of the best tasting tap water I've had.

I don't Houston is bad, or at least I can't tell. I drink tap water all the time and it taste average to me.

12. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I used to think like this. Then I watched this 2 hour doc:
    http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/poisonedwaters/

Maybe you're still right about many areas, but I live around the Chesapeake Bay and that crap is polluted as hell. The technology is behind the pollutants, and there is too much chicken crap in the water. That show wasn't even an anti-meat thing. It's just that there's too many animals in a concentrated area that's screwing things up. That and chemicals and other pollutants. The bay is downright nasty. The water system is outdated, and the EPA's standards are outdated.

There's freakin INTERSEX going on. The fish and frogs are mutated. There was even a Discovery Health show (not related to Frontline) I've seen where fisherman on the bay were losing memory due to water exposure. The dead zones are enormous.

So yeah, I'm all for clean tap. I grew up on tap. And maybe tap is good in most places still. But not where I live now. I wouldn't drink that unless I had too.

13. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

What you quoted was talking about taste. And since it is subjective, it doesn't make sense to try and 'keep it in perspective'.

As long as people understand that bottled water isn't necessarily 'better for you', I've got no problem with it. Some people don't like the taste of their tap water

14. YaosDirtyStache

Tap water is delicious

15. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

The OP quoted an article saying that Houston is one of the worst in the country. That's what I'm saying needs to be kept in perspective. If everybody else has 24k gold and Houston has 22k gold, that ain't bad even if it's on the worst list.

Many people don't drink their tap water because they honesty feel there is something wrong with it. I've heard that myth repeated too many times to recall. In fact, I've can't ever recall somebody saying they simply don't like the taste. I'm pretty sure, if somebody were to do a study, that in most people very closely associate the taste with health. It seems only natural to do so ...but I could run off 1 million examples of things that taste good but are bad for you and visa versa.

16. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

Ah, well I understand what you are saying about perspective there. Certainly it's hard to say the 'worst' when considering some people don't even have that luxury.

Still, you've never heard someone say they don't like the taste of tap? there are several people here in this thread who have said they don't like the taste. I hear it all the time. So, again; there's nothing wrong with preferring the taste of something over their tap. It happens.

17. TreeRollins

TreeRollins Contributing Member

Waco's water is hands down the worst water I have come across in a 1st world country.

18. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

Would you like to know how to get to Moffet Springs? (Where much of OZARKA comes from) From I-45 access road in Huntsville, Take a right on the street just past the HUNTSVILLE CITY DUMP & it's at the end of that road. :grin:

19. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

first off they are comparing where they are in violation of the Health limits for know toxins and Legal limits. so it is not comparing 22K gold unless the gold can cause health problems.

Secondly, Ozarka is the bottled water I buy and they source their drinking water from Harris country but filter it and have stricter limits on the toxins. I prefer the spring water which has no chlorine but uses UV for disinfection, thus the better taste.

And it is way cheaper than gas.

20. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I fill up big Astros cups full of tap water every night, drink it when I wake up in the middle of the night and mornings and have yet to get sick or anything. NYC as having the #13 best water is hilarious. Research more and you'll see how bad their water supply is.