1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

At what point...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kevC, Dec 10, 2009.

1. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

You build the team in mind, not with yao as the end all be all. This is what happened before when they tried to build around yao. It cant be done, he's not good enough nor can he stay healthy, but if you have a collection of guys that can play, the coach helps mold the role players play. If they build around yao, they are building a disaster.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I think they are building a team to where Yao can be a solid complimentary player, but not the main focus.

DD

3. number22

number22 Member

carl landry is also 2nd in the league in points in the 4th quarter
    he averages 6.7.
    d-wade is number 1 :cool:

4. janpwnz

janpwnz Member

As we all know he's very capable on the offensive end.. He's pretty good on the defensive end but he just can't stop getting into foul trouble.. He as a tendancy of challenging shots with a small body which increase the chance of getting a foul. In my opinion, Luis is still the better player in skills as he can score from both right, left and many other moves. Landry's great what he's doing but he still have a way to develope as a player on the defensive end. Scola and Landry complement each other because they are somewhat different in playing style as Scola's more finesse and Landry's more of a beast that would try to dunk everytime possible. That's why they complement each other so well which leads to the "Scolandry" combo that beats so many 4's out there. With this setup, Adelman can change the gameset and style to confuse the defense. I hope we are able to keep one of them before the Rockets gets their first ring in years ><

5. Someguy1229

Someguy1229 Member

I think we need that energy off the bench. Thats why the Mavs do it with Jason Terry and the Spurs with Manu Ginobili.

6. verse

verse Contributing Member

So the pervasive thought here is that Carl isn't starting because his defense isn't good enough, by extension insinuating that Scola is flawless as a player (since Carl's defense is his damning crutch), which justifies Luis starting. Hmm. Interesting. Those that have observed this have simultaneaously ignored that Scola has not been extended by the organization and will likely be a sought after FA. What this means is that if we don't trade him, we'll likely lose him for nothing. Squat. Zip.

For all the talk of asset management on this board, it makes little sense to see Scola skip to San Antonio or sell seashells with Sally by the seashores of Sacramento (ok, I got carried away with alliteration...but really, watching him go to a San Antone, Dallas, LA, GS or Utah - for nothing - is far from the managerial genius that Morey is attributed).

If he's leaving anyway (possible) and Landry is the younger, higher potential, equally efficient player, doesn't it make sense to develop Landry in a team-professed, fan-approved "development year"? What does it matter that his defense isn't as good as Luis' when we don't have anyone that consistently protects the paint anyway? Does having Carl in make Chuck Hayes a less productive positional defender? Does removing Scola suddenly somehow compromise the "Team Defense" identity of our starting unit, nee' the whole team? Would we suddenly become an average, oft erratic defensive team? Oh wait, we already are that...

For all the leeway Trevor Ariza has been given this year for building some Raferesque mansions of brick and forgiveness for shot selection as scattered as shotgun buckshot (seriously, even RonRon is jealous of Trev's carte blanche blank check for chucking), all in the name of "developing" his game, why not grant Carl the same favor? Is it not clear that the cornerstones for this team going forward will almost assuredly include Landry at the 4 spot? Trevor won't be a #1 perimeter player on any future Rocket championships (nor will he be asked to, imo...a better perimeter player will play that role) but Carl, imo, could be a #1 interior player, especially offensively. Defensively, you acquire a paint protector (gee, I've asked for that a few times this year) to help cover not just for Carl, but for the entire team.

Don't be surprised if our quest to obtain an impact player and/or a paint protector might include parting ways with our favorite Argentinian (and the mini-tank backup, bowling-ball-full-of-knives-PG). The present and future of our team lies with the guys that cannot yet touch their personal game growth ceilings. This year is year one of developing those players. Brooks, Ariza, Landry. Add on a couple more impact players and a paint protector and we're a formidable force. Metaphorically speaking, though, that's tomorrow (hopefully not next week). For now, we have to continue the development process. Getting Carl in the starting lineup expedites that process...

7. worzel gummidge

Luis isn't eligible for a contract extension. He will also be a restricted free agent.

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q51

8. worzel gummidge

I thought you weren't into players with duplicate roles :p

9. verse

Thanks foe the info. Still, I don't foresee Luis being ignored by other teams the way that Von was. Nor do I see him being undervalued by other temas like Landry was. Scola isn't potential...he's actual and will likely be paid accordingly by another team. Given Landry's production and our need for impact player(s), I don't think it would be wise for us to commit large $ to Luis.

10. wakkoman

wakkoman Contributing Member

For the Luis vs Carl debate, it isn't about who starts... it's who finishes.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

And sometimes it is both of them.

Carl is more explosive offensive player, Luis is a better defender and rebounder.

We are lucky to have them both.

Oh, and for the record, Scola is a RESTRICTED free agent, we have right of first refusal, same with Lowry....carry on...

DD

12. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

You're good.

13. paulnhbtx

paulnhbtx Member

wow are you kidding me?

Most talented at dribbling into traffic and throwing the ball out of bounds....

GTFO....

Landry > Scola

14. HTownTmac1

HTownTmac1 Member

ok... i agreed with you at first but then i got to thinking... the best player on the current houston rockets team is Ariza... i mean think about it. he is averaging WAY more points then ANYBODY on this website would have guessed also he has a CHAMPIONSHIP RING. he has the expeirence in the playoffs and has contributed to a bunch of clutch shots.

15. alex09xu

alex09xu Member

So who do you believe the best player on the team is?

16. verse

A wise move, indeed. I hope they don't plan on paying Yao neither a salary nor a commitment term commisurate with being more than a complementary player.

For Scola, I think he'll command ~8MM and we have the luxury of not needing to match that well-earned salary. If we can shore up the center position (via Yao and/or our legit trade pieces (Scola, Lowry, McG, etc.)), Hayes can provide perfectly adequate backup performance at the 4 spot.

17. Corpusfan

Corpusfan Member

Still have to put him behind Scola. Scola's more polished, well-rounded, savvy, and a better rebounder. But Landry's not far behind.

18. worzel gummidge

If the Rockets trade McGrady I feel it could be at the expense of a younger piece. The team who gets McGrady is likely in or heading into a rebuild. Landry right now has to be the Rockets most valuable trading asset as a player.

Scola and Lowry will be restricted, but they're not locked in. A team trading away a significant player will want something more guaranteed going their way IMO.

19. parmesh

parmesh Member

At what point...
    do we not have threads that have part of a sentence as the title, usually followed by '...' and only to be continued in the ensuing post?

20. Notorious_Flava

Well if he's not one of those guys...... i'd love to see what he can do