1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Could Luis Scola be next on the trading block?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crash5179, Dec 2, 2009.

1. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

What is up with all these Chris Bosh trade ideas?

Dude is a free agent at the end of the season, why would you remove ALL veteran leadership on the team for half a season of Bosh and declining complementary SF players like Peja and Hedo? Heck, Peja and Hedo would reduce minutes we seem to be dedicating to developing Ariza and Budinger, who are both younger and more athletic, then the guys we're bringing in.

Horrible trade idea man, just horrible.

2. caneks

caneks Rookie

Bad idea. He is a very underrated player, effective on the board and shooting. I think he is untouchable at this point for this team. It is not bad to develop young players for the season, but Scola should be given more opportunities on the offensive end, imo, our guards took too many shots.

3. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

The problem with trading Scola is the teams that most value him would be teams that feel they can contend this year because as noted he is going to be a free agent. What are those contending teams likely to offer that we might want? The teams that would be more likely to offer something we would want are less likely to want a free agent to be Scola.

His current contract being so low makes him more valuable to keep than to trade I think. I wouldn't consider any Rocket untradeable at this point, but I struggle to see any of the suggested trade partners really giving up value for a half year rental of Scola.

4. Possum

Possum Member

And where are we giong to get the money to sign Bosh or any other top FA? That trade for Bosh was just a example of what its going to take to get a player of his caliber. You dont get someone that good without giving up multiple assets. You obviously have a horrible understanding of how the NBA works man, just horrible.

Even youre points about the trade are weak.

why would you remove ALL veteran leadership on the team for half a season of Bosh and declining complementary SF players like Peja and Hedo?

First we would be letting go of veteran leadership of a bad team. Fun team to watch but face it a very average team that has no chance of making any real noise in the playoffs if even making the playoffs.

Second the veterans leadership we would be loosing would be replaced by veterans we are bringing in. As far as them being declining complimentary players, well the same could be said about Battier, and Scola isnt going to all the sudden get younger and more talented than he is right now.

Heck, Peja and Hedo would reduce minutes we seem to be dedicating to developing Ariza and Budinger,

Another meaningless point. Hedo Turkoglu and Peja Stojakovic both know Adelmans system and have had success in it. Hedo would taking Battiers minutes and Peja would be nothing more than an occasional off the bench shooter. Besides if we trade for a max player (whoever that might be) we are no longer in rebuilding/developing mode. The players that perform the best are the players that are going to get the minutes.

who are both younger and more athletic, then the guys we're bringing in.

And another meaningless point. We cant bring anyone in who isnt younger that Ariza and Budinger???? The main gog in this trade, the superstar (Bosh), is several years younger and a ton more talented than Scola the player he is replacing. Then Hedo is about the same age as Battier the player he is replacing and while Hedo doesnt bring the leadership of Battier he has other qualities that far exceed Battiers. Like scoring ability for one.

Horrible just horrible post. Next time put some thought in youre post.

5. thesaint

thesaint Member

Players to keep IMO: SCOLA, LANDRY, BROOKS, LOWRY, BUDINGER, YAO(IF COMES BACK HEALTHY).

I think Rockets will still keep Ariza.

Rest are all tradeable imo. I think Rockets should do some major changes in 2010 to bring in a superstar guard/SF to support this core and good role players with a big center to take load off Yao if her returns. This is only if Yao comes back which i think he will. If not, then Rockets are still not that bad if they can land atleast a center and a starting G/SF. Both are possible with Tmacs and other players contract expiring.

6. MiracleShot

MiracleShot Member

I urge you to remember you're audience. You don't just come in to a TEAM FAN FORUM and say that the team is bad. Even if we are average this year, you can't say they're bad. And also, the leadership we have is great, which is the only reason we don't have a losing record.

7. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

PF is our best position by far.

Our PG, SG, SF and C are not locks by any means...

Yao coming back would fix one spot, and Trevor/Shane/Chase should be able to hold down the 3.

Our upgrade needs to come in the backcourt...

8. TMac4Life#1

TMac4Life#1 Member

Ok now how long have the Rockets been weak at the 1-2 positions? You think its gonna happen now? No. BTW we weren't so bad with Sura and McGrady at least when they were healthy.

9. Possum

Possum Member

And I urge you to face reality. In the NBA Aaerage = bad.

10. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

While we have talent at the PF position what we don't have is a long athletic defender.

11. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Who do you have in mind?

12. Corpusfan

Corpusfan Member

It's hard to believe that people on this board are still undervaluing Scola. There's this obsession with athleticism. So many people here would just sell the farm to get a player who has more athleticism and "potential," even if the actual production isn't all that different. The Rockets are set with Scola and Landry at PF. I think they are the main reason the Rockets are winning and seem to have exceeded expectations, despite the depleted lineup.

1 person likes this.
  13. Gascon

Gascon Member

I'm willing to go the distance with the team we have now. A team that never gives up, fights for every possession, and drives opposing teams crazy. I love it.

14. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

First, if you consider the Rockets current incarnation a bad team, what the heck does that make the Raptors?

You are asking the team to gamble on Bosh and Hedo being able to carry this team... to a championship I assume, when they can't even carry the team they are on right now to a winning record in the Eastern conference.

And if you aren't aiming for a championship, then the move makes even less sense. We would have Bosh only for the end of the season and the money brought on by Hedo would reduce Houston's available funds to get him in FA, so renting him mid-season helps us get that talent how?

On leadership, you can't expect two mid season acquisitions to come into a team mid season and take over. Team leaders are based on experience within a team or a very respectable history, aside from Hedo's most recent playoff run, he doesn't really have much in achievements over Brooks, Lowry or Landry and pales in comparison to Ariza's Lakers run. And once again, you say Scola, Hayes and Battier are leaders of a bad team, but what the heck does that make Hedo and Bosh?

The linchpin is Bosh but unless you guarantee he will resign it will all be for... Hedo Turkaglu? Seriously, having Bosh wear a Rockets uniform isn't worth all the possible problems and overall issues that it would bring to get such a trade done.

15. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

That's all well and good, but I want a championship...

16. Possum

Possum Member

Before I respont to this post let me point out the Bosh trade scenerio I drew up was just an example of what it will take to get a max player in a trade. Everyone has fallen in love with the current roster and acts like somehow we are going to be able to add a superstar without giving up any real assets. The only chance we have (if we have one at all) of getting a player the caliber of Bosh is if we can combine TMacs expiring and a couple of either good veteran types or a couple of young players with high potentail.

If we do make that kind of move I would prefer we keep our young talent. Scola or Landry who would you rather keep? Battier or Ariza? These are our most tradable assets. Now just for fun, to the post.

A bad team.

No I dont beleive there is a snowballs chance in hell we win the championship this year. Im building for next year. I beleive a rotation of

Ming, Anderson
    Bosh, Landry
    Ariza, Budinger
    Hedo, Peja
    Brooks, Lowry
    and whoever else Morey can assemble through the draft and FA gives us a legitamate shot at a title.

Two words - Bird Rights

I dont expect them to "take over". I expect them to come in and learn Adelmans system and get acustomed to playing with the current players.

You need to brush up on youre NBA history.

Two good players in a bad situation.

So youre saying that we should just stick with the current roster and hope for the best? This team is fun to watch because they play hard and play well as a team. I understand that. But what people have to realize is that this team is full of ROLE player that are over acheivers. The current roster just isnt talented enough to be a legit playoff team. It aint happening!

A move to get a true superstar is neccessary if we want to have a chance to compete with the elite teams. To make a move like that is going to crush alot of sentimental hearts around here. Its going to happen bank on it.

17. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

scola > ming...

scola has a bigger up side....and he is way further along in his progession than was yao ming in his 3rd season.

for this to be scola's 3rd season he is wayyyyy better than yao ming.

yao didn't do **** until like his 5th or 6th season.

18. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Here is an idea: resign McGrady to a 3 or 4 year deal and then trade him in the offseason or sometime next season. There may be teams like Chicago who won't resign Deng or may resign Miller and are looking to sign new PF's or SF's but won't be able to afford a contract like McGrady is looking for.

I can't honestly believe that there is a team out there that would take McGrady for half a season not knowing how his knee will hold up, and I don't think the Rockets could get much in return except for more players like Battier, Brooks and Lowry.

19. Plowman

Supporting Member

I like a lot of 4/5 guys

Okafur
    Camby
    Birdman

I'm not advocating dealing Scola unless we get quite a bit back though.

20. Plowman

Supporting Member

Actually lets use that time machine and go get Dale Davis in his prime.