1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Players OVER Organization! No more Steve Francis Treatments!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tomjc, Nov 28, 2009.

1. tomjc

tomjc Member

Let me bring you back to 2004.

-Steve Francis quotes Rockets "This is the gym I built. By myself."
    -Francis gets traded for McGrady.
    -2007 Francis signed by Rockets, traded to Grizzles in 2008 to save money

If McGrady gets traded as a "business decision", would this create a pattern of deterrence for future superstars who have as much ego as talent?

1. Supply and demand, there are 30 teams in the NBA and not enough Lebrons, Kobes, and Wades to go around.
    It's a player's league baby, you gotta come convince me to play for you.

2. GM's don't win championships, player's do. "Organization didn't play with the flu in Utah." - Michael Jordan

3. Players save entire cities (See Chris Paul) and pay for their own salaries and yours, "People were buying tickets to see me play...that was for 5 years." - Steve Francis

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AOcybWl9Pr4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AOcybWl9Pr4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Say no to the Steve Francis treatment.

2. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

There are no players without organizations.

3. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

1. Most players dont act like Little Stacy.
    2. Who is Steve Francis? I really will miss out on landing a fringe all star pg because he doesn't want the "Franchise treatment" or because we don't want to accomodate his ego.

I hope that we give Tracy the "treatment" in the sense that his career comes to a catastrophic end over a 1-2 year period post-jettison.

4. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

People fill up the arena for great play-off teams, championship teams and great offensive teams.

Steve Francis won how many play-off games? Hell, he played in how many play-off games. If Francis built the Toyota Center by himself then the City of Houston and the Rockets organization need to send the bill to him.

If there are no championships (provided by the Dream) chances are there is no "Save Our Rockets" movement (Thanks Jeff). You want to see an arena go empty? Add Steve Francis to your team and win about 30 games a year.

5. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

I guess Steve was giving Vancouver the Franchise treatment when he wanted out. Ironically, McGrady was doing the same thing in Orlando. Oh, and I guess we should assume teams like Memphis and Portland, who ditched Francis, were also familiar with the "Franchise" treatment.

So if/when McGrady is no longer a Rocket will you be following him wherever he goes? Will his new team become your favorite ballclub since you're believe in players over the teams themselves? Did you dissapear from here for awhile when Franchise was playing (sitting) for other teams so you could keep cheering him on or say it was (insert ballclub here)'s fault for just not giving him a chance to get back on the court?

6. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

Interesting quotes when Van Gundy got there.

Gumby..."I felt they were both(steve and cuttino) so distracted, both of them individually from a focus standpoint that probably a more serious guy for each one would have helped them focus on what they were trying to accomplish 'basketball-wise'."

Moochie..."Them being together in practice it was kinda hard for us to get things done because we'd be busy laughing at each other."

Steve..."If you can't be yourself at your job then there's no need to work at that place...so if I can't be myself and mess around in practice then I don't need to work there."

I know, I know...we talkin bout practice...

7. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

How about say no to Steve Francis style players.

8. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Tomjc = bizarroworld tinman

1 person likes this.
  9. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

You are simply incorrect - Steve Francis wasn't traded to save money!!
    He hardly ever passed the ball to Yao Ming when he was in a scoring position, and a sthey were developing the team around Yao the wanted a Point Guard who was not only out spoken about passing to Yao but one who actually kept his word and did so. :p :p

10. sabesque

sabesque Member

I say:

Cities OVER organizations OVER Players

Cities over organizations: Houston > Bud Adams/Oilers/Titans

Organizations over players: The responsibility is on player to provide value to the organization (much like any job). And the organization has the right to evaluate and use the player as they feel (since they are the employeer). Also, the player has the ability to leave the organization when their contract allows (organization cant easily leave), or use leverage to sqeeze more money from the organization.

11. T-Yao

T-Yao Member

i miss steve francis even he dribble so much

12. monkinamr2

monkinamr2 Contributing Member

And the image everyone's permanently wiped from their memories ...

[​IMG]

13. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

Players over organization my @ss. You don't cheer for McGrady, Yao, Scola, you cheer for the Rockets. Your on Clutchfans not Tracy fans. We should want whats best for the team not appeasing McGrady who will without a doubt be gone next year so why show him off for a contender to pick up and be competition. He got his way last year with that play every other day, came back early from injury crap. Players come and go, Rockets will always be in Houston. Organization over players son.

14. gotsis

gotsis Member

Its very sad to see that some people actually hope that tracy has a catastrophic end, instead of having hope he comes back strong for us. or even if its not in houston, why hope he ends hes career like that...is it personal?

15. topfive

topfive CF OG

Ha! Too perfect! :grin:

16. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Is this a joke?

17. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

there are no organizations without players, they're codependent

1 person likes this.
  18. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

Man, how can you quote Moochie and expect me to take you seriously?

19. Lonestar

Lonestar Member

If you are M.J. or L.James, you are the player over the organization, simple as it's

Even Kobe, organization wanted to trade him

20. towW

towW Member

Kobe actually wanted out of the Lakers at one point until he was the best player in the league and they begged him to stay. That was right before the Pau Gasol giveaway.