1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Buying a car for your kids 16th birthday?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ToyCen428, Nov 22, 2009.

1. JuLiO-R-

JuLiO-R- Contributing Member

Jesus Christ, what is going on here!?

2. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

I worked in high school and bought my first car on my own. A 2000 dollar 92 Accord. It last me all through high school and college. My kids will have to work for their first car as well.

3. TheReason

TheReason Member

Look, man, we moved on. If you're not gonna post about jews than take it elsewhere...

1 person likes this.
  4. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

srsly.

people these days.

5. droxford

droxford Member

He was a Jew.

In fact, he was King of the Jews.

What were we talking about?

1 person likes this.
  6. Vinsanity

Vinsanity Contributing Member

I was one of those kids who got a new car for my 16th. 1992 Mustang GT. I took care of it, raced it some, never wrecked and always appreciated it. It made picking up chicks in high school much easier and I learned how to appreciate nice things at an early age. Looking back, I'm so thankful my parents did this for me. One downside was that other kids who weren't as lucky, were jealous, similar to some of the posters in this thread, and my car was keyed multiple times.

My dad tried to get a better deal, and it was my first time to also learn how to negotiate a deal, but these salesmen at this dealership were real Nazi's, I gotta tell ya.

7. g1184

g1184 Member

Now go say 5 Our Fathers and 10 Hail Marys to save you from your father's sins.

8. StaticC4

StaticC4 Member

http://media.deadgod.net/albums/blog/forums/DeathCharms/fry-see-what-you-did-there-scaled.jpg

9. StaticC4

StaticC4 Member

10. kikimama

kikimama Member

This is worst than the Jew comment. I understand mistaking your for you're since it's shorter but you did the wrong thing the wrong way! Outraged....

11. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I'm well into the six figures and I bought my 16yr ol a 02 sable with 70k miles 2 yrs ago. I told her its the only car i'm buying for her. My dad always said "if I give you everything,what will u ever work for?"

12. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Do you seriously not see the insulting nature of "jew people down"? The way it was posted wasn't in a joking matter, it was in conversational format.

13. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Troll face?

14. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

and when an emergency comes along and they claim bankruptcy due to a lack of a savings account..they'll blame everyone but themselves

15. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

You are way too uptight pops, the war is over.

16. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I wonder if finals bought a Volkswagon... :grin:

I am a medical student and I have never owned a car, so you can be certain my kid is only getting a Bus pass at 16.

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Man, I ended up with with a Vomit Comet my mother had first and then my sister drove until she graduated from college. It had over 100K on the odometer before I got it, the AC was broken, and I got beat off the line by mopeds. I was thrilled to get it!

18. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I got mom's old truck, and she bought herself a new F-150. I was quite happy with a 7 year old Ranger.

It is not my intention to give my kids cars. No telling where I will be financially in 14 years when my first son turns 16, but with planning on having 4 kids each 2 years apart, I can't expect to afford cars for all of them. I keep a savings for my son right now that I plan to let him have when he is 18, and he can purchase a car with that, and I'll do the same for each of them. I will keep a vehicle for them to use in HS to go to school, and hopefully go to work.

19. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

I matched what ever my son saved for a car. What it has come down to though is that he didn't save much and so his car is somewhat unreliable and is in constant need of repairs to keep it running. Some we have done ourselves, but most are beyond my confort zone. We don't have buses where we live and since he has job and the school he attends does not have bus service, a dependable car is manditory. I have spent too much money keeping these clunkers running (he traded x times). But I am going to keep this one running while he saves for another one - so far he has about $3000 saved.

My other son will turn 16 this weekend and he is going to "purchase" with his matched funds my old Lexus - I'm making him a good deal. It has 123k miles but I've had it for 8 years and it has been taken care of so I don't anticipate spending too much on keeping this one running. My older son declined the same offer because "it is an old man car" (ok - he has a point).

My middle son and I flew to NYC a week ago to pick up my "new" car that will probably be my daughter's in few years - a TSX. Though she says she doesn't want this as she'd rather have a Ford Escape but I'm sorry, I can't drive an Escape for that many years. I know - pride - I need to work on it.

I do pay their car insurance but any tickets and/or wrecks that effect their rate will be picked up by them. Once they leave college - all the bills are theirs - this encourages them to stay in school.

20. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I totally agree with this...nothing new, but something safe so it doesn't breakdown...When they turn 16, my oldest will be first and her car will be passed down, for sure...

I told my kids if they get a partial or full ride scholarship, they can get a car they want, within reason...but that's when they graduate HS...