1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Summer League Games - who's going?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jul 10, 2002.

1. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

crash, your place of work puts your moniker in a different light. What airline are you with again? I'll be sure to go with a different airline, especially if you're a pilot. :eek: J/K. :)

BTW, thanks.

#21 Relativist, Jul 10, 2002
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2002
  2. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Can Clutch post pics? Or has the NBA forbidden pictures' pics on fan sites, even spectacular ones that make official sites pale by comparison?

3. the big E

the big E Contributing Member

I will be there Fri/Sat. I will be wearing the old school Dream jersey. I will bring a camera for pics.

4. Htownhero

Htownhero Member

Man Crash, this is an amazing thing to do for all of us. If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to call out to your friends here on the board.

5. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

lol :) You are not the first one to make that comment. Actually I have used crash for as long as I have had internet. I had just purchased my first computer a couple of weeks after a skiiing trip. When it came time to choose a screen name I couldn't think of anything and my wife suggested crash because it described my skiing style :D . I've used it ever since.

6. Tmo

Tmo Member

crash & clutch = #1
    no other site for just about any team gets coverage like this

7. Rudyball

Rudyball Contributing Member

Major kudos crash, I am not sure that we could have had anyone better to cover the league.

It would have been great to have both Boki and Ming present for Clutch to cover, but we should get a good report on the others.

I hope your wrong ROXTXIA about the pics, but I can see that happening at this league since a lot of other teams will be involved (NBA and amateur).

8. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I am very impressed by crash's gesture and it shows again what a great community clutchcity.net has become. Looking forward to the reports! :)

9. Swopa

Swopa Contributing Member

I'm not going this year, but I went each of the past 2 years and can vouch for the above as excellent advice.

Having commuted from Hollywood or parts beyond, my most important advice for out-of-town visitors is to stay somewhere close enough that you don't have to take freeways to get there ... particularly the 405. If you must take a freeway, assume that your average traveling speed will be 20-30 mph. :eek:

10. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

Awesome of you do to do that crash.

Enjoy the games Clutch, LA#1, DoD, and everyone else that is attending.

11. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Everything has pretty much worked out. Got tomorrow off work, got a hotel for a few nights and a car as well, got press access for all the games... got a lot I have to get organized tonight, but I'm really looking forward to it. Can't thank crash5179 enough. I've never actually just "winged" a trip like this one on short notice.... and to a place I've never been before. If the TroyBaros death threats at Long Beach don't come to fruition, this should be a lot of fun :)

BTW, I won't have internet access.... anyone know a place near there where you can pay by the hour for access to the web?

Anyone have any questions for Griffin, Morris, Tito, etc. ?

12. Tmo

Tmo Member

Ask Tmo how much weight he's gained and if he's been focusing on improving his 3-ball.

Thanks and you are the best!!

13. B

B Contributing Member

Clutch,

You should be able to get internet access at a library during the day. I'm not sure where you are staying but a lot of hotels have a "business room" where you would have access to the internet.

Question for Griffin: Do you feel that this year will be your breakout year? Are you ready to take over the forward position (either SF or PF)? What parts of your game have you worked on this offseason, and what part of your game do you feel will be the strongest this season?

TMO - Where do you see yourself on the team this year? What are your goals for this season?

For TMO and Griffin: Are you excited about adding two talented foreign players to the team? Do you have an special plans for making them feel welcome?

That's it for now.

B

14. DearRock

DearRock Contributing Member

Clutch you should have internet access and most reasonable hotels. Good luck. Thanks you Crash!

I am very interested in finding out about Tmo and his personal objective for the season. The early reports suggest that he is putting himself in the best possible position to compete for playing time.

15. LA's #1 Rocket Fan

Clutch - Here is a internet Cafe in Long beach located on 2741 E. 4th St. that I looked up. It is called the The Coffee & Tea Galleria. I don't really know where this and never been here but it in Long beach. Here is there phone number: (562) 433-5995

Here is one that I go to that is busy with many people outside even late at night very crowed and has many resturants and stores that open really late and is in safe area and opens till 2am. Here is their site: http://www.ibrowsecoffee.com/ But it is about 20mins from Long Beach in city of Alhambra.

Hope this tips help you. Also here in Los Angeles area many people get killed in these places lately, I think 3 in the last past year and many hurt, so please be careful esp. at night.

16. Swopa

Swopa Contributing Member

Clutch, unless it's closed in the past year (which I doubt), there's a Kinko's across from the NE corner of the university ... I'd guess it's about a 5-10 minute walk from the Pyramid, where the games are played.

If you're lucky, they may even have free laptop access. :cool:

The address for the Kinko's is 1800 Palo Verde Avenue, Long Beach, CA.

17. topfive

topfive CF OG

Clutch, I was at Wednesday's game, and here's something you'll see on the Rockets team that might surprise you:

That skinny, wide-eyed, somewhat timid kid named Eddie Griffin they had last year has been replaced. The new guy, whose name also happens to be Eddie Griffin, is bigger (10-15 pounds, I'd guess) and knows how to take charge of a game. In the game against the Grizzlies, the new Eddie Griffin was a monster. In looking forward to Yao Ming's impact this year, we may be overlooking the fact that Griffin was also a VERY high draft pick and now has a year of seasoning under his belt. I think we'll be seeing a huge contribution from Eddie this year. If so, it'll take some of the heat off of Ming inside. Now if Rice can regain his touch... look out.

I was very impressed by Drew Gooden, too -- great touch, great feel for the game. Gooden got 27 points (I think), and had it not been for some great one-on-one D from Griffin, he might have gotten 40.

Tito Maddox, however, looked completely lost. I hope it was nerves at playing in his first pro game, because he really played like crap.

The summer league Grizzlies team have the absolute worst uniforms I've ever seen -- they make the Rockets' pinstripes look like Armani suits. These things are white with some kind of teal cowling around the neck that makes the team look like they're wearing boy scout kerchiefs. All they need is a merit badge sash.