1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How Does Tracy fit? Better than Yao

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by pgabriel, Nov 20, 2009.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

First of all this isn't a Tracy is better than Yao thread, and I'm not a fan only of either one. Just seeing all these worries about Tracy fitting on this particular team is funny when everyone is expecting Yao to come back next year. How does a seven six guy coming off a foot injury fit onto this team. How is he going to get up and down the court. Will the team have to adapt to him. Will this team be successful if they go back to an offense established around Yao? With Tracy, at least there's a chance to play the same style of ball. With Yao, there's no chance.

2. RocketMania1991

This team needs to move past Yao.

Rick is a fool if he thinks this offense will work with Yao.
    Last I checked Rick tried this sort of offense with Yao the first year he was here and it failed.

3. splendidfish

splendidfish Member

With TOFs and YOFs naturally hating each other, we can safely conclude that T and Y actually hates each other.

4. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Yao's career is over. Tracy can continue to play for another 4 or 5 seasons. Les Alexander, however, does not want to part ways with his cash cow. He would rather demolish the team for the next 2-3 seasons and give the fans unwarranted expectations than see them win a championship without Yao.

I doubt whether the Rockets go after a legit starting center this season or next. Even a guy like Darko Milicic or Joel Pryzbilla are enough to make Les say no.

Yao fits in as a farfetched expectation. McGrady fits in because his $23 million is coming off the books next season, but I doubt whether the Rockets sign a true presence at center.

5. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Oh, I am just adding to the drama, but this thread couldn't have been further from it. :(

6. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

Why does it matter? We meed both to contend.

7. Seth

Seth Member

Perfect scenario would be to trade them both for durable and faster players.

8. BizzleRocket

BizzleRocket Member

No, Tracy does not fit better.

This system relies on DEFENSE, HUSTLE, AND HARD WORK. 3 Things Tracy has never done or used his entire life.

9. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Yao may work hard but he gets injured anyway so what's the point? Plus he will slow the game down and you are crazy if you think Yao will just fit right in with the current crop of players and offense we have now.

10. BizzleRocket

BizzleRocket Member

Are you telling me T-Mac doesn't get injured? Talk about serious irony there.

Yao fits better, because he only helps the team, Sure he slows it down, but the Rockets have been a halfcourt team for years now. Get with the program.

11. matthappy

matthappy Member

It doesnt matter if yao would fit current system.when yao back I firmly believe Rick would design new system to fit yao instead of yao's fitting to this pure running-and -gunning system.ok,I have to admit the current system goes well with this rotation,everyone think it amazing,but is it relied on during paly-off?SUN has set a good example.when ur opponents slow down the game pace.u can not only expect ur jump shoot.A dominant C is very very important in ur tactics.anyway with David anderson rolled in,and his improvement this season,he will spare more minutes from yao on the court next season,and yao would get more rest,I dont think yao would be more inclinced to injury.
    believe me a healthy yao is a great asset for us ,he could not only enriched our options against different team,but be a verbal and spiritual leader for us.

12. SleepingGiants

You have to understand, Yao is not going to come back and play like he did last year. You need to understand that we already know how to play with Yao, and that Yao is NOT expected to fit in with the current theme of play. When we have to run, we will run you down. When we need to play half court, and clog the paint, here comes Yao.

When he returns, he will avg 25-30min a game.
    PERFECT, for him to play his best at all times.

13. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

You're right. Ideally you move both, but I'm afraid Yao is here to stay.

14. pdewalt

pdewalt Member

I agree with your rationale that I highlighted for Yao but honestly, both Yao and T-Mac are too skilled not to have that happen. That's why some of this T-Mac talk is so weird to me. This team is playing this way in part because they don't have a player that commands the type of attention and/or has the basketball skills of either Yao and T-Mac. It's just odd. :confused:

15. pdewalt

pdewalt Member

I just don't see how a reconstructive surgery of the arch in the foot of a 300+ lbs man is less risky than a microfracture surgery of the non weight barring area of a man's knee. :confused:

16. rockets2

rockets2 Member

:grin:
    BEENN. THE OPREATIVE WORD IS THE ROCKETS HAD BEEN A HALFCOURT TEAM. those days are over yao-only-fan boy with a million different id's. yao at best will be A banged up version of bigZ FROM HERE ON. THATS EVEN IF HE RETURN. BTW, TMAC IS A POINT FORWARD AND DWIGHT>YAO.

17. Landlord Landry

the only thing I know is we are 7-6 and these guys are worried about t-mac busting up the chemistry?!?

I'm not a huge fan of t-mac(anymore), but this current team, and all it's "up-tempo, hustle, team play" isn't doing anything to speak of.

18. Landlord Landry

it also relies on scoring, which the rockets don't do enough of.

I'm not saying tmac is the answer, just that the current players aren't.

19. OGKashMoney

OGKashMoney Member

The reason Yao fits better than T-Mac is that we have weapons that go with Yao's game.

Yao's game is post up and look to score. If double-team comes, then swing the ball to the open man and get an easy lay-up or open-look 3. The current offense can still run as the second unit in stretches during the 2nd and 3rd Qs when Yao is sitting down. Furthermore, developing the current offense will also us to maintain leads or extend leads when Yao is sitting down, things we have had a problem with in the past. Scola, Landry, and Hayes can play next to Yao because they crash the board and their man will likely come off to double Yao.

T-Mac's game (or at least the game we have been exposed to in the last 1 1/2 to 2 years is a jumping-shooting T-Mac. That won't work because we need the T-Mac from the first season who was a driving T-Mac which demanded double-teams. If that T-Mac shows up, then he can work with this team because he can get guys open looks. Plus, that T-Mac could get out in transition and lay down some nasty dunks. But if the jump-shooting T-Mac shows up, then we are left with a stagnant offense that will stand around and watch him control the ball.

So the key is that Yao's games works better with this Rockets team and thats partly (or mostly) due to the fact that we have built this team for him. I am not sure if Yao, T-Mac, or both can come back from their injuries since both had pretty major surgeries. That is a question for another thread. But based on the weapons we have and their still of play, Yao's half-court game just works better with this squad.

20. rockets2

rockets2 Member

The days of yao centeric offense are finished. it's all about off and on the ball movement. about who runs the lanes.