1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I'm sorry to say this but we need T-Mac

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Someguy1229, Nov 17, 2009.

1. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

If you did then I'll give you credit on that. It's basically the only way to utilize McGrady without disrupting the team offense this team's been running all season.

I have my reservations on how much McGrady will cede to Brooks when McGrady comes back.

2. pdewalt

pdewalt Member

May be it's just because I am a fan, but the back injury year was the only season with Tracy that I hated watching the Rockets. As far as his on the court performance goes, last year was the only year that I was disappointed in his play but I've had injuries that resulted in the microfracture surgeries, so I understood what he must have been feeling to some degree. While I know from personal experience the challenges of returning to anything like you were pre-injury, I can do more of what I used to prior to having the injury. It just takes time and hardwork, about a year for each knee. That being said, with the level of physical therapy and monitoring that he is receiving, I'm very confident that signs of his injury will not be there. So selfishly, I root for his return because I'm in turn rooting for myself as I work to recover from the injuries. Plus, he's a Rocket!!!

Now that I have stated my subjectivity, yes T-Mac has faults but so did everyone else and so does everyone else on the current team. Hayes and Battier are not consistent offensive threats, Brooks is not a complete floor general yet, Lowry over does it sometimes and is not a consistent outside shooter, Bundinger's defense still needs improvement and so on. I am one to think that, like it appears people feel about Battier and Brooks, T-Mac's strengths on the court outweigh his faults on the court. So if said Battier and Brooks can get a pass, so can T-Mac as long as he's a Rocket.

Go Rockets!!!! :grin:

3. T-mac&Yao=RING

T-mac&Yao=RING Contributing Member

I didn't really see the game last night, but I did catch a few plays at the end. And the first thing that came to my mind was Ariza should never try to beat his man off the dribble. That's one thing we know Tracy can do when healthy so yes we need him back for that, but we don't need a Tracy of last year. Another thing I saw was AB could not get past Nash I thought how the hell could this be happening? I don't know the reason why maybe AB was tired of Nash was playing great D. But it gets me back to my point we need someone who can get to the rim when it matters. Maybe that's Tracy or maybe not who knows.

4. rocketsmetalspd

Yes. A rebounding would do wonders but who is out there in trade that would do: Camby? Biedrins? or Miller? I don't even think these teams would want a trade but it would not hurt to inquire.

5. pdewalt

pdewalt Member

Actually, yes it does for the point that I was attempting to making. He's still relevant in the elite player conversation. That was the point.

AI is referred to by many also as a has been and/or former elite player. So your bringing up him actually reinforces my opinion even more. AI is on his way out and is still linked to the elite player conversation than anyone else on our team outside of T-Mac and Yao. May be that point wasn't made clear enough for you, my fault. The ballot was to be a quick example of this occurrence. Again, the All-Star was only part of what I used to make the point and shouldn't be thought as the sole measure/factor. Yes, All-Star selections aren't what they used to be but they still are methods that are used to measure upper echelon (elite) players.

I hope that I was clearer this time around!! :)

6. worzel gummidge

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I will leave that to Morey to decide.....

But it seems people here are not aware that this is a year for growth not a year for contending and even if we got Tmac at his all time peak, this team would still not be a contender with our short front line.

And honestly guys, I hope Tmac gets healthy too, I just don't think he helps all that much.

Sure, he helps some, but not enough...I would rather roll with whom is on the floor now....unless Dmorey makes some trades....Tmac could go, Shane could go.....who knows.

DD

8. Got Em

Got Em Member

truth, my friend. swyyyguy is exactly what you call him, delusional. i know him personally, and whenever we get into tmac arguments all he talks about is "tmac is so sickk.. the rox will only go far as he can take us.. i'm not a TOF just the most pessimistic rockets fan you'll ever meet..." and proceeds to show me highlight vids of yesterYEAR. sadly some ppl just can't deal with reality, gotta hold onto those precious memories of the past.

9. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

1. All-Star Ballots and its process is not a measure of "upper echelon players". It's a measure of who fans know and recognize and not necessarily how well the player is playing during that particular season. It's an antiquated system simply because it causes NBA gamewatchers (like yourself) to believe that some of the players on an All-Star ballot still merit elite status. Any real NBA fan knows that All-Star balloting and superstar status needs to be / can be separated like how McGrady and Iverson are no longer stars but are "market names" that a casual fan can recognize.

2. McGrady's relevancy in All-Star balloting doesn't mean much on the court today. Just because he's on the ballot doesn't mean he's going to get preferential treatment from the refs/coaches/players etc. McGrady is no longer a superstar that he once was and, thus, will not get these superstar calls when he comes back without earning it first.

Being "relevant" in All-Star/superstar talks is different from actually being one.

10. pdewalt

pdewalt Member

I agree with you but as a fan I can't help but want/hope that they do something unbelievable each year. So on paper as currently constructed, I see T-Mac as a plus for this team.

Ultimately, I want the team to be relevant in the post season. That's my wish for them because being relevant, with a lot of things going their way, can lead to something amazing come playoffs. Yes, this is extreme optimism but it has happened here before!!!

11. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

like i said before, all we can do as rockets fans is hope tmac can be even a hint of his former self.

it's amazing how some people don't even want to give him a chance or even some rockets fans want to see him fail. if he could produce, our team would be really amazing, am i right?

12. DaDakota

No one wants to see him fail.

Nothing wrong with hope.

His contract situation - basically he gets to choose where he goes after this year, means the team needs to trade him now before they lose the leverage.

This is not about Tmac, it is about what is best for the Rockets....and even if TMac were to walk we would only get about $7 million out of his contract, and that would be wasting a chance to get $16 million more with his contract as it stands now.

Heck, one ten million dollar good player and one ten million dollar poison pill is better than basically adding another MLE player, right?

DD

13. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

I say trade Battier for Przybilla.

Let McGrady play out the season.

Once McGrady comes back, we will get Chase playing minutes and we get a center.

PG Brooks / Lowry
    SG McGrady / Chase
    SF Ariza / Chase
    PF Scola / Landry
    C Przybilla / Hayes

That team can be a 4-7 spot in the West easily.

14. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

That doesn't mean you don't give your team the best chance to be successful. If success is even better when T-mac comes back then you leave him in there, if not you trade his ass. It's pretty silly that you are even making this argument.

It would be one thing if we weren't even competing for a playoff but it's another if we are and I think Adelman and Morey have made it clear they aren't waving the white flag.

15. DaDakota

Step away from this season ElPigto, and think longer term, what is best for the franchise?

That is the way I think they need to deal with Tmac......trade his contract for talent that you would not be able to acquire with small cap room.

DD

16. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

Got Em, who is my friend, actually wants to see him fail. he said if tmac ever suits up for the rockets, he wants to see him blow out both knees and his back.

there are plenty of other tmac haters on this board so i wouldn't be surprised if others wanted to see him fail.

17. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

Damn! No hatred there!! I would wish that on anyplayer wearing a Jazz uniform.

18. Someguy1229

Someguy1229 Member

I have read most of the posts on here and it seems to be very split between trade him and let him play.

For the people who say trade him, why can't we give him one more chance? He has worked hard to fix his injuries and seems to be very eager to help this team out.

What if he surprises everyone and plays at least at an above average level and fits into the system?

It can't hurt to give him a chance. Let him suit up and if it fails then ship him out next season. By that time we will have Yao back and we can deal with him then.

19. rockets_fanatic

He needs to play for that to happen. He needs to play, play well and create the illusion that he has made the team better, even if it is not the case. It is the only way we will get value for him.

If we can't get talent for him, I'd rather let his contract go and see what we can get.

I think we all understand though, that we need a team that can win without Yao Ming. That means another big 7 footer and a guard who can draw a double team.

20. Got Em

Got Em Member

that's not what you tried to convince me of even yesterday. "tmac is so sickkk" and "let's give him one more chance bc we basically have to" are 2 very arguments. why are you lightening your stance now? reminds me of your rockets fanhood lol.