1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I'm sorry to say this but we need T-Mac

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Someguy1229, Nov 17, 2009.

1. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

he was actually pretty dominant in this series. stats don't show how much he really did in this series, considering no yao, no rafer for 2 games, and shane was also hurt. and bobby J playing put more load on tmac. plus he played on 2 injuries.

2. wekko368

wekko368 Member

The McGrady apologists need to realize the difference between being a great playoff performer and being a great closer.

McGrady may have been a great playoff performer, but he was never a great closer. Even when he hit clutch shots, a good number of those consisted of perimeter jumpers (either a 3 ptr or a foot on the line), and regardless of whether or not he scored, he should not be settling for perimeter jumpers at that point in the game.

3. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

All I remember from that series in regards to McGrady was that his play was underwhelming the first 4 games and didn't kick it into gear until the series was all but over.

There's no denying that McGrady's production increases in the playoffs when compared to the regular season but, like wekk0368 said, he's hardly a CLOSER. Everyone wants to sip on that "13 in 35" Kool Aid but that was ONE GAME. In fact, I'd actually be more impressed if the TMac apologists would bring up the 04-05 playoff performance, and Game 2 specifically, as to how McGrady could be considered as a "closer'

4. wheelmi

wheelmi Contributing Member

Wow, before his back went out he was reaching Jordan proportions (in PER anyway), and was blowing away Kobe. Kinda crazy??? Ahh, what could have been???

Like Penny in many ways, only apparently far superior, at least in PER again.

Cool Graph!

5. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

That's the thing, even though this team has a few guys that can handle the screen and roll, pick and pop halcourt offense, that is not our strength. As you said Tracy would be stupid to slow things down but even when he was younger when has he really ran on the transition to get easy baskets?

Especially now that his knee is not going to be the same it used to be, he's not going to be trying to put as much pressure as he used to. And on the dunking thing that's what I meant, I was just using those as metaphors I guess. Will we see the playmaker Tracy or the dud Tracy that has nothing left in the tank.

I agree with you about Ariza, he is not a ballhandler yet. AB's play will also benefit greatly from Tracy that is if he comes back to being the "elite" baller he once was.

No doubt he was one of the best but after time you're body breaks down for good and his body was showing signs that this would happen season after season. Even before the microfracture surgery.

It could just be his time, hopefully we benefit before anyone else finds out by dealing him somewhere, if that is the case. And I'm thinking it will be.

6. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

I'm not arguing with you, but when I picture game winners, they always seem to be jumpers. Maybe it's selective memory. Sure there are some close to the cup, but most seem to be jumpers.

On another front, I don't care if Tracy can dunk over people still or not. I care if he has improved his shooting (which it seemed like his 3pt shooting was better last season before he went out), and if he can still handle the ball and make the right play still. I believe he should still be enough of a threat on the court to do these things.

7. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

2006-2007

Rafer: 10.9 PPG, 34% FG, 32% 3PT
    Hayes: 3.7 PPG, 71% FG
    Yao: 25.1 PPG, 44% FG
    Battier: 10.3 PPG, 45% FG, 44% 3PT
    Head: 4.6 PPG, 31% FG, 26% 3PT

2007-2008

Rafer: 14.3 PPG, 44% FG, 44% 3PT (Injured first two games, re-aggravated injury last game)
    Battier: 10.0 PPG, 44% FG, 48% 3PT
    Scola: 14 PPG, 45% FG
    Mutombo: 3.8 PPG, 62% FG
    Landry: 5.7 PPG, 42% FG

I only posted scoring and percentages up there and I only put those players who were serious contributors during the season. As most will remember that 07-08 roster was injured along with McGrady. That 06-07 Roster is just horrible. Head was our best bench player and he stunk it up. Rafer was just not helping. Battier although he shot great needed his shots created for and T-mac was being swarmed.

I believe that 07-08 team could have beat Utah if Shane, Battier and Rafer did not go into the playoffs with injuries. The fact that Bobby Jackson was a non factor really hurt us as well. Luis played really well in this series and even Rafer was having a great series, even though he was injured.

Bottomline, the team has not been great or has been injured. That's not T-mac's fault. The fact that he has a big mouth and is always saying stupid things should not affect your perception of the player he has been for this Rockets team.

8. john_l

john_l Contributing Member

You can't really have his cap space. He signs elsewhere after 09-10, we only end up under the cap by MLE type money. Best you can do is a better than MLE player from someone who is freeing up cap space for a max offer, and you probably take back a bad deal for your trouble.

9. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

T-mac had some pretty spectacular games last year even on one knee. I think some of the problems at the beginning of the season was the rotation kept changing and their were obvious locker room problems the Rockets FO covered up. The Yao, Artest and T-mac line up sucked majorly by the way. Absolutely no spacing whatsover. Those three guys were never on the same page.

I believe T-mac will come back healthy. We'll have to wait and see. I can sit here and argue all day long but who knows what will happen, right? hehe

10. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Not to even mention Luther Head...

Ugh. Spilled milk. Bitter, bitter, bitter spilled milk.

11. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I don't even mention Luther in this series since Rick hardly played him since he was so ineffective against the Jazz.

12. steddinotayto

I'm not letting what he says off the court affect how I perceive of him as a player at all. No one is denying that he played out of his mind for us the first year he was a Rocket. Hell, he was a great great player that year. Then, injuries the next few years derailed his efficiency and consistency.

If one takes a collection of video of games from his 04-05 season, watch it, and then go watch video of the next two seasons, anyone can see that his injuries (or even, IMO, mass weight gain) effected his shot. I said this then and I'll say it now: his elevation (or lack of) in the few seasons after the 04-05 season killed his shooting accuracy. The sad part about it is that this was when he forcibly stopped driving to the basket and started to rely on hoisting perimeter shots. Of course the injuries made him ineffective on both fronts but I'm not going to deny that.

So what's the point of this? That my "perception" of him is based on his play--injury free or not. I'm not going to say "McGrady sucks!!! TRADE HIM MOREY!" but I'm not going to say " A HEALTHY McGrady will lead us to the promise land!! All we need is a healthy TMAC!" either because neither statements are true and will, from this point on, be true. McGrady, if/when he comes back, is still a good player but to clamor and say he's going to be the TMac of old--despite microfracture surgery, shoulder injuries, back injuries--is a bit delusional don't you think?

13. Got Em

Got Em Member

We have a picture of what hard work/team play should look like:

Aaron Brook's twitter following his career-high 33pt performance in rout of the Lakers:
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ba...-Olajuwon-s-post-moves-to-work?urn=nba,200710
    Daryl Morey's twitter 5 days ago:
    And a picture of how hard work/team play fails:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ba...t=Ai2iH7LEmlQF7mHtor3b6DK8vLYF?urn=nba,203085
    After our 2008 playoff series loss to the Jazz, tmac was at his best again:

14. Got Em

Got Em Member

fixed.

15. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I promise that is not what I'm trying to argue at all.

I'm simply saying that a healthy T-mac at this age can still help a team win. He isn't going to put up the stats of old, he isn't going to be driving like he use to, but he still has gas left on the tank. He can still be a part of this team which can get to the playoffs. That is ALL I am arguing and nothing else.

16. steddinotayto

How much can he help this team? He's a good player, individually, but in any system that doesn't allow him to create by himself he's just not that good.

McGrady's ego is not going to allow him to come back and say "Look, guys, I've seen you guys play and I am ready to just be a part of the team. I will do whatever it takes to fit in with you guys and not vice versa". Once he gets one of those magical games (i.e. 25 points), McGrady will think "he's back" and become the high volume shooter he's been the past two years. Things like that aren't going to help this team.

17. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Simply question, who would you rather take those 17-21 shots Ariza has been taking lately, Mcgrady or Ariza?

d

18. steddinotayto

Funny thing is, coming back from microfracture surgery, I don't think McGrady can do any better than Ariza in terms of shooting.

19. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

He's a better ball handler and passer. So I'll take that. I want him for his decision making. Shooting, I'm crossing my fingers it's better haha.

I really do hope Tracy will know when he needs to create for the team and when not to.

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

We need a rebounder, and post defender, not another wing....

Rebuilding year, go with the guys that are on the upswing.

DD