1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COMPARING ROCKETS TO OTHER PLAYERS!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JasonDurbin32, Jul 9, 2002.

1. JasonDurbin32

JasonDurbin32 Member

IF YOU HAD TO COMPARE ROCKETS PLAYERS TO ANY OTHER PLAYERS AT THEIR POSITON (1,2,3,4,5) IN THE NBA WHO WOULD IT BE? AND WHO DO YOU THINK WOULD WIN 1 ON 1? I THINK...

1.) FRANCIS AND MARBURY.......FRANCIS (BALL CONTROL,DRIVING ABILITY,3BALL)

2.) MOBLEY AND EDDIE JONES........MOBLEY.....(BETTER D,3 BALL,BETTER D)

3.) KT AND RICK FOX.........KT.....(EVERYTHING)

4.) EG AND CHRIS WEBBER.......EG!!....(QUICKER,BETTER SHOT,SHOT BLOCKIN,AND LETS NOT FORGET HE AS BEEN LOCKED IN THE WEIGHT ROOM!!!)

5.)YAO MING AND (ONLY PLAYER ANY BODY COMPARES HIM TO) SHAQ.........SHAQ.....(BUT.....WEHN NOT IF BUT WHEN YAO MING BUILDS UP.....HE WILL BEAT SHAQ AT EVERY CATAGORY.....PERIMETER SHOT,82% FT,3PT SHOT!,IS BEING TRAINED 3 HOURS A DAY STRICTLY ON POST UP MOVES...)

SO WHY WOULDNT THE ROCKETS BE ABLE TO MAKE THE PLAYOFFS OR TAKE IT ALL THE WAY?IT IS A VERY POSSIBLE CHANCE AND AGAIN HERES WHY....NOBODY IN THE LEAGUE CAN STOP WINK AND CAT....THEY ARE THE 3RD BEST COMBINATION IN THE NBA BEHIND...SHAQ,KOBE...PIERCE,WALKER,......AND BOTH OF THOSE TEAMS MADE IT TO ATLEAST THE CONFRENCE FINALS WITH THE 1-2 PUNCH...LAKERS TOOK IT ALL THE WAY....WINK AND CAT ARE VERY DETERMINED TO MAKE IT TO THE PLAYOFFS....

THE ROCKETS SHOULD HAVE MADE THE PLAYOFFS 2 SEASONS AGO ...THEY HAD THE BEST RECORD NOT TO MAKE THE PLAYOFFS IN NBA HISTORY....FOLLOWING YEAR THEY HAD INJURIES...AT THE START OF THE 2001-02 SEASON ROCKETS WERE PICKED #5 SEED IN WESTERN CONFRENCE....
    ROCKETS RECORD PAST 3 SEASONS WERE...
    (ppg,apg)

00-01 45-37!!! (97.2...19.7)
    01-02 28-54 (92.3....18.3)

ADD TO THIS THREAD AND SAY WHO YOU THINK THE ROCKETS MATCH UP WITH AND WHAT SPOT DO YOU THINK THEY WILL EARN NEXT YEAR IN THE PLAYOFFS!!

2. dream2franchise

Mobely has better D than Eddie Jones? Hey thats ur opinion,. BTW i reckon they should do 1 on1 and the all* game, but it'd probably be too much of an ego struggle should a big player lose to another.

3. Stevie Francis

good post , i'm not gonna pick apart your post and say negative stuff about it. But i feel that you are right the rockets should make the playoffs, and if they are injury free and still don't make the playoffs, some people need to fired, or traded.

4. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I am going to break apart at least a little bit of the arguement for arguements sake. I love how you picked out players with different games. Eddie Jones is comparible, but very different than Cuttino. Kenny is not a SF and EG is not better than Webber(yet). Webber is a type of player that we've never seen before. The big man can pass as well or better than any PF in the league and shoot lights out from 16-18 feet. His game is so far above Eddie's right now. The man runs the entire offense from the PF position like a point guard. I would take Eddie over Webber right now only because of salary and future ability. Please, CW takes EG for right now. However, I agree that Eddie is elite and our team is as well. Only injuries and Yao youth can stop us now.

5. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

here's mine
    the top is against player i feel with very similiar game/body
    bottom is who i'd like to see them play against

steve francis vs baron davis (or marbury or jay williams)
    steve francis vs allen iverson

cuttino mobley vs michael dickerson (or ray allen)
    cuttino mobley vs kobe bryant

eddie griffin vs ??????????
    eddie griffin vs tim duncan

kenny thomas/maurice taylor vs elton brand
    kenny thomas vs maurice taylor

yao ming vs dirk nowitzki (or tim duncan)
    yao ming vs shaquille oneal

winners are - steve, allen, cuttino, kobe, tim, elton, kenny, yao ming, shaq.

this was kinda fun.

6. Hydra

Hydra Member

Yao over Tim Duncan, in his first year? Try not to set your hopes too high.

7. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

Are you nuts?

8. off_welfare

off_welfare Member

Wow?????? Eddie Griffin better than Chris Webber---not a chance! I'm a Rockets fan and all but I know when to call it quits. Griffin hit 36% Webber shot 49 % now you tell me who has a better shot and don't blame the good percentage on dunking. Webber has a steady 18 footer and boy have I seen Eddie blow a handful of dunks. Sorry Webber is just bigger & better!

9. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

since jasondurbin is getting killed by the fellas here....i'll add on as well :D

lets try to put the rockets' players up against the BEST at their positions instead of picking favorable matchups.

1 on 1:

PG:

francis vs. kidd--i like kidd but on a 1 on 1 streetball atmosphere, kidd will go down

francis vs. iverson--mmmm tough call. i'll call iverson wins 16-14 w/ deuce called

francis vs. davis--another tough call. i'll give the nod to francis

SG:

mobley vs. bryant--sorry but bryant wins

posted matchup:
    mobley vs. jones--mobley wins not b/c he has better D than jones
    :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

SF:

thomas vs. pierce--thomas gets killed

thomas vs. stojakovic--if peja gets hot....well...i'll leave that up to the imagination

PF:

posted matchup:
    Griffin vs. Webber--i hate webber, but webber will win. webber will shoot 15 ft jumpers all day

Griffin vs. Garnett--Garnett but the margin won't be a blowout

C:

we get killed.

10. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

11. UT Baller

UT Baller Member

Steve=Baron
    Cat=Ray Allen
    forget the 3, who is our 3 (present vs. future)
    Griffin=Rasheed
    Ming=Smits

Steve and Ming would probably win their matchups (I mean Smits is like 37/38), Cat just isn't as good as Ray,and Eddie needs time before he will be better than Rasheed. I didn't put a 3 on b/c Rice is more like a guy that we would compare another player to and nobody has seen Nachbar although the Hedo/Pedrag comparisons are the norm.

12. aLfaBoLoUs1

aLfaBoLoUs1 Member

Steve=Baron (Steve's quicker, Baron's stronger, both can shoot and break down D)
    Cat=Ray Allen (Ray has a better shot, but i think Cat's quicker and can get his shot off better with more moves)
    SF??? no comparisons should be made quite yet
    KT/MOT=production of an Elton Brand
    Ming=hopefully better than Smits! i think so

13. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

that would be yao ming against dirk nowitzki.

griffin vs rasheed.
    thanks ut baller.
    oh and rasheed wins.