1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What if Yao Opted to become a free Agent

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RocketMania1991, Nov 10, 2009.

Tags:
  1. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

No one in their right mind opts out of a guaranteed contract coming off a season in which they didn't play due to injury. Dream all you want. Yao Ming will be a Houston Rocket in 2010-2011.

2. himself

himself Member

I think there is a chance that Yao would opt out just to reconstruct his deal with the Rockets, thus giving us a chance to sign a free agent in the mean while (if we find someone we really like, and can not work a trade).

with that said, it should be a honor for YAO or anyone else to have a Houston Rockets jersey on and be a part of our history, and not the other way around!

We are Houston ROCKETS not Houston Yaos, players come and go, we are here to stay. Yao is a great guy, but he would not even crack my top 10 favorite Rockets of all time.

3. Yao#1

Yao#1 Member

I dont think there is one guy here who wants Yao to stay unless they think it honestly gives the Rox the best chance to win. Why would a so called YOF care what team he plays for. If he leaves and goes to Chi or NY or wherever, dont you think they would just go root for him there.

I think Yao is great. I hope he stays a Rocket for a long time. Not because I am a YOF, but because I think it gives the Rox the best chance to be championship contenders in the next few years. Everyone who is sitting there assuming that if Yao and Tmac are not on the roster in 2010 the Rox suddenly have 40 million in cap space, doesnt understand the NBA salary structure.

I would absolutely agree. If you could get rid of Yao and Tmac and bring in LBJ and Bosh this team would be far better off. We would be younger, less injury prone and more athletic. But anyone who thinks that is realistically going to happen is dreaming. It would take both of those players taking less money because their teams can offer them the most by far. If you think Houston offers them some kind of advantage marketing wise to make up some of that money, you fail to forget the only advantage goes away if Yao goes away.

4. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Couldn't have said it any better. The rockets are probably a organization making decisions based on external benefits vs on court benefits. Yao and tracy have kept the handicap plates on this franchise for 3 yrs or so. The sooner both are gone the better. Utah,orlando,and portland have rebuilt pretty quick, I don't see why the rockets can't do the same.

5. RocketMania1991

Why would it take years for this organization to rebuild....
    Our bench is as deep as can be, our current roster already is more than capable of making a playoff seed.
    This team is just one to two players away from championship caliber.

6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's not like Yao is like Michael Jackson
    or even Janet

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VtUivhJIZPk&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VtUivhJIZPk&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

7. ibm

ibm Member

oh really?

8. RocketMania1991

Uh why couldn't we make the playoffs with this roster...
    Even at 4-3 we are slotted into the 6th seed.

9. vince100

vince100 Member

"Sorry Rockets2K is a moderator/admin and you are not allowed to ignore him or her."

This is so entertaining and it just made my day. :D

10. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

Completly hypothetical, but what if we are a few million short of being able to sign someone like wade, bosh, etc. Would yao opt out, take a new contract with us for a little less money in order to bring in another star player? I'd say probably not, but if he really wants to win, he may... But I guess if he really wanted to win, he would opt out and join the Lakers, lol. Im just thinking out loud.

11. ibm

ibm Member

only if the playoffs were to start today...

how many teams were winning teams when we played them?

this ain't nfl.

12. RocketMania1991

Lets see we beat the Jazz which we couldn't do with Yao Ming, we beat the trailblazers, and we lost by one point to the NBA Champions.

Yea..we won't make the playoffs.

13. zhu02031601

zhu02031601 New Member

I am from China, I can say Yao will not leave your city unless the city abandon him. I am sure about this. Yao is this kind of the person, just like most of the tridional Chinese.

14. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

leebigez,

Welcome to my bandwagon..

15. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

And Yao would be missing in action as he has the in all of the other playoffs...

Our goal is too win games... Don't care about the other teams record.

16. brandonkaka

brandonkaka New Member

I totally agree with you. This guy has done nothing but increase the numbers of fans from China

17. ibm

ibm Member

neither the jazz nor the blazers was a winning team when we played them.

know what others are talking about before offering your argument.

18. zhu02031601

zhu02031601 New Member

Thouh I don't know what's exactly happening there in your city after Yao's come. I agree that after Yao's leaving, your city is still your city, your team is still your team. You love your the team cos you love your city. Only some of the fans will leave.That's mean nothing for you.
    ( :eek: I hope my English is not so bad that no one can understand :eek: )

19. ibm

ibm Member

how unique...

20. alleyez281

alleyez281 Member

Hey fellow Clutchfans members...since I a rookie and can not start threads. I think it would be a great idea to ask everyone on clutchfans to vote on nba.com to get the Rockets on TUESDAY FAN NIGHT. The have the Rockets vs. Suns as a choice for the Tues. Nov 14th game.

If we don't get respect from the national media...we can make some noise on their fan night voting.

Thanks!