1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Battriza

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Nov 10, 2009.

1. smartxtai

smartxtai Contributing Member

What about replacing Ariza with Budinger at the starting role? That way, we have someone who can create alongside Brooks. I also think Ariza would fit well with Lowry's "push push" mentality.

2. Untraceable

Untraceable Member

*voice of Sister Lovejoy from the simpsons*....Think of his intangibles, will somebody please, think of his intangibles

3. HookemHorns1250

I think there are a few people on this board that are over-hyping Chase quite a bit. First off, let me say that I love the guys potential. However, I'm not ready to trade T-Mac just to give this guy more room in the lineup. Or act like some people on this board and think he's the second coming of Larry Bird.

As many have said, the problem with this team when we do run up against a smart defense, is that they trap AB off of every pick, and over help to cut off his penetration. When he does this, he kicks it out to either Shane or Ariza. With Shane, it takes him thirty seconds to drive, and Ariza, we just pray he can dribble the ball three consecutive times before it gets stolen. With Tracy on the floor (a healthy one I should add), you just can't double AB like that. This team has the potential to be a very good one this year if Tracy comes back healthy, and is willing to play within the system.

Now, if he shows signs of being all about himself, and shows signs of favoring his knee and is unwilling to hustle and run with the team, then yes by all means get rid of him. But, we do have a chance to be really good this year with a second play maker in the lineup, and as good as our bench is, we could make a run. Chase isn't going anywhere right now, there's no rush to force him in minutes.

4. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

Hopefully Mac can use his contract motivation to fix these problems.

5. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

Agreed on all counts.

6. Blaze_3

Blaze_3 Member

t-mac will be back in some weeks ;)
    and we can also play ab and klow at the same time :eek: :eek: stunning right..
    that makes 2(TWO) guys who can handle the offense
    :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

7. hoplite

hoplite Member

Yes,yes! Why can't more people get it? Instead everyone wants to start knee jerking threads. It's what, 7 games into the season??

Btw, chase is my current favorite player. But I don't expect him to be a super-star, let him grow on his own and don't rush his development. Also, no need to just trade tmac, see what he has to offer us and IF the right trade comes along that makes us better, then u can take it.

8. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Stop running DD. You know as well anyone that has eyes that shane hasn't done squat offensively this yr. Coming into the season he talked about how the coaches want him to do more offensively. Yet we see the same involvement as it has been in past yrs. I'm talking more about involvement, moving,cutting, running the break and stuff. At least ariza is trying to do what the coaches thinks he can do vs doing nothing. Its convenient you try to lump them together v the pink elephant in the room. Again, stop running.

9. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

Why not? He has a PER of 18.6 as a rookie coming off the bench. Players that put up that kind of production in their rookie years usually end up being future all stars. Admittedly, Landry had similarly high production in his rookie year, but he had defensive and physical shortcomings that prevented him from becoming a starter, which Budinger does not have. If he keeps performing at this level, it is going to be very difficult for Adelman to not give him more minutes.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

How is saying we should have only one on the floor running?

Shane is a better defender, and Ariza is a better offensive player.

To me, one should not be starting....I don't care which.

DD

11. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

DD, battier is a better defender, but ariza's offense has been better than shanes defense. I think chase needs more burn and it should in shanes place. Shane should be playing 25 mins giving 25 to chase. Ariza is fine even with his to's.

12. ibm

ibm Member

so chase is gonna be a white version of catino? that will be awesome. should we bet on it and give him heavy minutes?

13. DaDakota

You are preaching to the choir !

DD

14. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

chase is NOT going to be an all-star. i haven't seen him create his own shot off the dribble yet. chase was in college long enough to develop those kidns of skills (it's not like he came directly out of high school). he has a great PER b/c he is a perfect fit for this system in terms of his style of play. and he's shooting EXTREMELY well right now (except last night of course). it's like ariza getting 20 points. is he a 20 point scorer? hell no. but this system is helping them (IF THEY STICK TO IT). they went out of the system last night and they all sucked.

chase is going to be a VERY good player and a long-time starter in this league. and yes, he should get more burn than shane. shane should only get minutes if we're facing a high scoring perimeter player. if he can't make his shots, it puts more pressure on AB to create. and if AB is doubled, we're screwed.

15. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

That because Tracy towers over most other SGs and PGs that try to double him. He can just pass over his double team. Brooks on the other hand is only listed at 6'0"...

16. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

That's a pretty bold and outlandish statement to make about a rookie player who is performing better than almost every player taken in the first round.

You haven't been watching. He *has* demonstrated the ability to do so and looks much better than Ariza while doing it. The difference is that unlike Ariza, he stays within the offense and will not force the issue unless he has no other choices.

If you knew that, you'd also know that he also has some ability to play in the post which he has not demonstrated so far on the court, and if you've paid enough attention you'd know that Adelman himself has been quoted as saying that there are things that Chase does in practice that haven't found their way out to the basketball court yet.

Wrong. He has a great PER because he is a really good all-around basketball player. Just as an example: he is the best rebounder on this team that doesn't play a PF or C position.

When has he not shot well? He is a great shooter. He has always been a great shooter. "Right now" has nothing to do with it.

Ariza's PER is a mediocre 14. He is not nearly as efficient and wastes possessions doing stuff he can't do. He is playing within the same system and is not nearly as effective. He just happens to have the ball in his hands a lot more often.

Look, it is possible that Chase ends up being nothing more than a good rotation player/starter. But from what I've seen from him on the court, this kid is future All Star material, and the numbers back it up.

1 person likes this.
  17. MD_in_Training

Chase can't create. He's a catch-and-shoot, or slashing player.

18. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

i think on this board sometimes "creating" and "able to drive" are used like they mean the same thing, but i guess technically if you can drive you may be able to create something indirectly...

19. Ketchup&Mustard

I believe Shane should remain a starter along side Ariza, because he is the backbone, leader, and anchor of intangibles on our team. You can't have the leader of our team coming off the bench, and insert a rookie in his place. It messes with the team's perception of itself. However, I do agree that he should split more time with Chase so we have more balance with an injection of athleticism and scoring. This would also make it harder for opposing teams to exploit our weakness at creating our own shot.

20. DaDakota

Fine by me....but we need more Chase and less Battriza.

DD