1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets: Do they persue Tim Duncan?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TroyBaros, Jul 9, 2002.

1. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Unfortunately I don't think Duncan would leave. Of course the Spurs have to build a decent team around him. I love Duncan, and I wish he would go to the Eastern Conference with no compensation for the Spurs so that a Western powerhouse falls from the playoff picture. (sigh) Wishful thinking.

2. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

I said it would be a close call. I'm a Ming fan but always put the team over the individual. Duncan is the 2nd most dominant player in the league and is one of a small handful of true "franchise" players. Thus, any chance to get him should be studied intently.

I think it would be unlikely that Duncan leaves SA.

3. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

Bah ha ha ha.

I suggest we trade them TroyBaros for Tim duncan. TB's insite into basketball would be worth Tim anyday.

And just think of all the cap space they would save. Instead of $12,000,000 they would only have to pay .01!

4. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

I really believe we will be in the mix to get Duncan next year. I think Rice will become extremely valuable at the end of this season. He will have one year remaining on his contract which makes him a prime candidate for a trade. Also, we have plenty of young players to send to San Antonio.

Basically, the team Duncan chooses will have the upper hand.($.60/$1.00) I can picture the deal right now. Mo Taylor, who will have a great year, Nachbar, Rice and fillers for Duncan and change.

5. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I'm here. :)

I'd love Duncan on the Rockets more than anyone, but I don't think it can happen. First, he won't leave San Antonio, and on the minimal chance that he did, the Spurs will effectively control where he goes. We may can offer Griffin, but there will be other teams that will also be offering young stars for the MVP of the entire league.

But, the main point is that he won't leave. First, he can get more money by staying, like Chris Webber did. Second, he has about the best chance to win there. He has an excellent young point guard, and some other good young players under contract (Rose, Ginobili). In fact, some insiders have predicted Ginobili as next year's favorite for ROY-- he's apparently ready to start and play some major minutes.

Those alone certainly aren't reason to stay. But, those combined with the most salary possible and the ability to sign one or two max players is. You can claim that Duncan won't play the 5, but the reality is that he already does. With Robinson's limited minutes and injuries, he plays just as much there as he does at the 4. And as mentioned before, the Spurs can sign another max player (maybe close to two, depending on the cap) in addition to Duncan. Next summer, Jermaine O'Neal, Jason Kidd, Antonio McDyess, Shawn Marion, and possibly Elton Brand are all set to be free agents, and each of them has been rumored to have some interest in the Spurs.

San Antonio may not be a big market city like a New York that everyone wants to play for. But, I'm willing to bet that free agents will be knocking down the door for the chance to play at the max salary alongside the MVP of the league, a good young backcourt, and a new arena.

mfclark: Have you seen Rose's contract structure? The deal sounds big when you see the total figure, but for this upcoming year it will be 4.1 million, and for the 2003 year it will be 4.8 million, roughly the MCE. It won't count as 7 million dollars on the cap in the summer of 2003, when the Spurs are seeking free agents.

6. Hydra

Hydra Member

cut and pasted from my reply to the steve is a pretty good player thread:

I am not a Francis basher, but I have suggested trading Francis. More specifically I want to package him with either Eddie or Ming and tack on Kenny Thomas and if neccessary Nachbar, for Tim Duncan and Jesus Parker. I think that the combination of Duncan, Mobley, and Yao or Griffin would make us favorites for the title. I could even live without getting Parker and run Moochie and Tierre/Tito at the point. Duncan is almost good enough to get you a championship by himself and with a dynamic scorer like Cat and a good frontcourt player like Griffin or Ming, we would certainly be one of the top two teams in the league. Would SA do this? Maybe, if they don't think they can resign Duncan. But I would at least put in the call, whether Houston fans want to keep Steve or not.

7. TroyBaros

TroyBaros "Special" Friend of Steve Francis

My god for a highschooler you sure made me laugh.

8. mfclark

mfclark Member

Yeah, I have, and that's about right. It just limits their moves down the road, when it counts for closer to $8-$8.5m per year. I think a 6 year, $30 million deal would be more prudent, but maybe there's something (like an under the cap team) out there that might take him away from the Spurs.

9. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

The only way you get a player of Duncans stature is through sign and trade and giving up a talent. First of all, if he really wanted to leave which i doubt, his salary will be 14mil per yr. With that in mind, tht would take one or 2 of our trash contracts, Taylor,Cato, or Rice comes to mind. Next, they would want a player that could be a star down the road which leads to Griffin. Taylor,Cato and Griffin would give the Spurs a future star in Griffin, and 2 role players in Cato and Taylor. As good as it sounds and would be to get them, I don't think the spurs or Duncan would do it. I think the Rockets, as high as they are on Griffin would do it in a heart beat. Griffin and Duncan are only 6 yrs apart as some would dispute the claim of giving up youth. I think i like my chances with what we have, but i wish we could pawn taylor off to Cleveland for Hill who is a fa after the season, then resign Thomas to be the starter until Griffin takes the job by the reigns.

10. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

I disagree. When Duncan becomes a free agent, he makes the decision for the Spurs. Similar to what happened in Detroit when Hill left to Orlando. If Duncan wants to leave, the Spurs basically have two choices. They can let him leave and use the cap room on other free agents or accept (probably) less than premier type players to complete a SNT deal.

I think Rice may be an important part of the deal. Rice may not be the player the Spurs covet(Actually, I know he isn't) but he is an excellent pawn in a three way trade. Every year there are disgruntled players wanting out of their current situations(2002-NO-Davis, 2001-Seattle-Payton) or there are circumstances in which teams just need yo make changes due to various reasons.(i.e. Cleveland-Miller-pending changes in ownership, Clippers-Sterling) Rice would be perfect because that team is taking on a big contract that is expiring.

You may be right. We may have to include Griffin but Duncan to Houston may be a possibility.

11. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Contributing Member

Don't need to have to many superstar inorder to win the championship. Just checkout the blazers, man are'nt they loaded!! Got to watch the Luxary tax!!:eek:

12. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I was just giving my opinion, but I really think when Robinson,Smith and a whole slew of people and with the fa class of 03, they will be able to sign some quality players. Even if they don't get Kidd, there may be money left for Marion,Odom, or some of other players. I think unlike Grant Hill, Duncan has the possibilty to aquire better player to be around him to compete. Parker is a keeper, Rose is a good hard nosed role player, they could add 2 very good players via fa and still be able to be a contending team for yrs. Yes Houston is a possibility, but slight best describes it best.

13. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

It's possible, but wishful thinking. In the minimal chance that he wants to leave, the Spurs would likely call his bluff. Do you really think Duncan would sacrifice the 30 million more dollars he would get by resigning or being shipped in a sign and trade? In this era of free agency, the current team with the player holds the cards. Few players are willing to sacrifice that 30 million. For Duncan to get the most money, he's going to have to either resign or go to a place that the Spurs would be willing to sign and trade him to. It's unlikely the Spurs would trade him to a division rival, but even more unlikely that they would ship him for someone to "just get something". It would have to be substantial value. Of course, there's practically no chance of him leaving anyway, so this entire discussion is pointless.

14. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

You have a valid argument. It is wishful thinking. But, Duncan is to the Spurs as Dream is to us.(sort of) The Spurs do not have to do anything for Duncan but I think they will. It is good business. If the Spurs lose Duncan then the Spurs will be rebuilding, therefore, trading to a division rival would not be as important.(imo)

I understand the premise. It is a big IF. But Duncan will go wherever he wants and he will get the MAX

15. rsl5181

rsl5181 Contributing Member

dear troy,
    i truly enjoy it when you make your posts. though you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about as far as basketball goes, you still make the most ridiculous posts. that doesnt really bother me. its pretty typical of most people who post here. the part i do like, though, is that you get under everyones skin. i would have to say more people reply to your posts than anybody esles. so i have to say good work there. my hope is that you are doing this just to piss everyone off and to play with their heads. i also hope you are just sitting back and laughing at all of these fools for wasting their time even thinking about you. keep up the good work...

oh yeah, i heard the rockets are packaging venson hamilton and tierre brown for kobe and shaq. do you think we should do it?

16. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Yes. Every team in the NBA will desire Tim Duncan for their respective roster. Every team that doesn't, should fire their GM.

17. Possum

Possum Member

Couldn't have said it better myself. If you put Duncan and Francis on the same team and surround them with quality role players, you have cloned the Lakers and have a legite title contender. I would trade Griffin, MoT, KT, Rice (ending contract) and Cat for Duncan without blinking an eye.

18. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

I wouldn't but I know what you mean.:p

19. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I like our team.

How many posts do I need to get that "special" tag under MY username ;) ?

20. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I think it is 400.