1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Avery Johnson Believes We Have A Great Chance For LeBron

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheGreat, Nov 6, 2009.

1. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Why not?

The Knicks suck. Thanks to them the Jazz are going to get a top 10 draft pick most likely. Lebron isn't going to go there so they can build a team around him. Like he said...that's just wasting his time...when he can stay in Cleveland.

Also IF ((IF!)) Cleveland fails this year early in the playoffs. Lebron could leave in disappointment. Shaq isn't getting any younger. Cleveland could keep him around by signing another player.

I think Lebron stays in Cleveland most likely...but if it's not Cleveland, NYK, then who? Rockets have more than a solid team, all they are missing are star players.

Any ways. at least Adelman would use Lebron Correctly. Cleveland isn't using him right. Charles is actually right about that, they are making things much harder for him.

2. dero72

dero72 Member

nah...i dont think hed come here 'to win'.
    he's LeBron: he has that self-confidence that all legends have: wherever he goes, he MAKES them a contender (in his mind).

That said, you may be right that he might look at H-TOWN....and youre DEFINITELY right that he wont. :cool:

3. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

I saw this too. I thought we already discussed we couldn't offer the max 5 years $97 million to anyone?

4. kkkpopov

kkkpopov Member

We are the champion if he comes!

5. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

There's only 3 options really.

1)Knicks (loves new york)
    2)Nets ( Jay Z)
    3) Cavs (loyalty maybe)

6. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

You know, Morey could also argue that with Yao on our squad, we're actually a bigger market team than NYC. 1.3 billion people < 12 million. :D

Still, highly unlikely.

7. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Knicks need a lot of cap space to get Lebron. They'd need to sign Amare, Wade, or Bosh first...then and only then would Lebron go.

Put Lebron on that team now and they are 6th through 8th seed. It'd be like his early years with Cleveland all over again.

Lebron is a smart player, he's going to go to the place that best puts him in a position to win. He knows his legacy will be judged by rings, just like all great players.

If anything Cleveland will resign him and sign another player. Avery is right though, Rockets are going to have a attractive team and like I said this isn't some small little hickey market. Many NBA players come here during offseason. Rockets one of the popular teams in the NBA...hell we are a much bigger market than Cleveland.

8. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

So, you're saying there is a chance...

[​IMG]

9. jdh008

jdh008 Member

I agree with dero on this one. While LeBron wants to win for sure, he thinks that his presence makes the team a winner. If he is leaving Cleveland, he is going to leave to go to an attractive market.

10. meh

meh Contributing Member

Well, that's based on the premise that Yao won't opt out. I'm sure if Lebron is willing to come to Houston, Yao could certainly renegotiate to fit Lebron under our cap.

That said, there's still zero chance Lebron would give Houston any more than a cursory.

11. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

I don't see playing with Yao as being that attractive since he's been in the league so long and has only advanced past the first round once. He is also coming back from major surgery plus he is very injury prone.

12. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

How do we know what Lebron thinks?

He's said over and over again now that he wants to win, not waste his time on a rebuilding team. Lebron is a market himself, he doesn't need NYC for more popularity.

If Lebron thinks that his presence alone makes any team a contender than he's going to be looking for a ring a long time. That's the Iverson logic right there.

13. cardpire

cardpire Member

guy is probably an eventual billionaire, and i can guarantee that his ego is big enough that he cares more about making sure his legacy is secure with championships than he cares about an extra 10MM or so over 5 years on his NBA contract.

not saying he will come here, but i think the ability to offer him a max contract is a way way way overblown factor in his decision.

14. JuLiO-R-

JuLiO-R- Contributing Member

If we sign LeBron...I guarantee we'll have new Home/Away jerseys...and 2 new Alternates by the start of the 2011-2012 season.

15. meh

meh Contributing Member

I'm not sure about your point. Didn't I basically say the same thing? Although I did mess up and only wrote "cursory" when I meant "cursory glance".

16. lz56

lz56 Member

his ego is way too big for this team

17. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Oh read it wrong, shouldn't of skimmed. Thought you were talking about making space for Lebron to come.

18. Pocket Rockets

Why couldn't he sign for less than the max contract? If he really wants to win, he will take a paycut to leave cap space for other teammates.

19. Gummi Clutch

Gummi Clutch Contributing Member

I said it before and I will say it again.
    LeBron expressed his desire to be the first billion dollar athlete (too bad Tiger beat him to it), but what bigger market is there than all of China. Makes NYC seem kind of old school.
    The NBA salary isnt everything with LeBron.
    Dude had a $90 mill shoe deal before he even stepped on the hardwood.
    There is more money to be made off the floor.

20. Rox-Champion

Rox-Champion Member

I think it's impossible for us to get LeBron.