1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

iPod Touch Equivalent

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RunninRaven, Nov 6, 2009.

1. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So my 12 year old son has asked for an iPod Touch for Christmas. I'll likely oblige but I have been wanting one myself ever since my iPhone died a horrible death recently. I don't take very good care of my phones, but I think if it was something I didn't have with me all the time (like I would an iPod Touch) then it would be less likely to get broken. My question is this:

Are there any equivalent PMPs out there? I know about the Zune HD, but I haven't read very good things about the available applications for that unit. To me that is the biggest selling point. I know that Apple got here first so most units likely aren't going to match the amazing selection of Apps that an iPod Touch/iPhone have available, but does anyone have any experience with other PMPs that look like they might be comparable? I ask because I feel like I could find a PMP close to what the iPod Touch can do but at a much lower price. Is the Zune HD the only thing close at this point?

2. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Walkman X with OLED screen

3. RunninRaven

Supporting Member

Does the Walkman X even have an AppStore similar to Apple's? Also, it certainly doesn't meet the criteria of being any cheaper...

4. Jayou

Jayou Member

Does your son want the touch b/c he want's all the apps? Either way, it seems a bit much for a 12 year old. Can't he settle for the nano?

I have the Zune HD, mainly because I love HD radio. There's not a lot out there for portable HD radio at this point.

5. RunninRaven

Supporting Member

Yeah, I think he is as excited about the possibility of downloading games to it from the App Store as much as he is listening to his music or looking at YouTube videos.

6. Jayou

Jayou Member

I see, I see. Sorry, you'll have to spring for the touch then. There's nothing else quite like it. :)

7. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

http://www.archos.com/products/mp3_players/index.html?country=us&lang=en

Doubt this would interest your son as it doesn't have games, but thought I'd throw Archos in the mix for anybody looking. I've always heard pretty good things about them and they are much cheaper. I have an old Creative Zen Micro that I'll be replacing soon, and will probably be giving in to an iPod Nano. I like the Archos and it says it works with Mac, but I'm skeptical about the software. I think the Nano will just be easier to deal with.

8. TraJ

TraJ Member

I don't think there is anything comparable to the iPod Touch at the moment. Most of the time people seem to compare the Touch to another touch screen mp3 player, without taking into consideration everything else it does. I wish a similar product existed, but I don't think one does.

9. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

None of them will have the same level of app support.

There are some nice ones though (like the zune HD) with great (or better) hardware.

But if apps are your selling point the touch is probably the best bet at the moment.

10. Microfridge

Microfridge Contributing Member

Can you still buy it on craigslist or ebay? A while back Apple was giving out free new iPod Touches with the purchase of a mac book, and a lot people already have iPods so they would sell their free one. Maybe you can check if people are still doing that.

11. RunninRaven

Supporting Member

So no one has a Zune HD? I'm really curious to see what the application selection for that unit is right now. I always kind of assumed that given time, more people would want to program for the Zune because typically Windows is much more widespread, but I've heard the OS for Zune is not very good and most developers don't want to mess with it.

12. Jayou

Jayou Member

^ I said I have it earlier.

It's a great piece of hardware for media if you want to output 720p HD video out (with the optional expensive HD video out kit), plus the music aspect w/ Zune pass, and HD radio.

But as far as apps, there are only 9 total. The biggest fail by Microsoft is that they are all developed in house and subsidized with ads that play when you launch an app. Supposedly, facebook and twitter are on the way, but that's it so far.

Definitely forget the Zune HD if all you care about are apps. No third party apps at the moment. That might change later down the road. Too early to tell right now.

13. RunninRaven

Supporting Member

Damn, okay. Looks like iPod Touch it is. Way to fail, Microsoft.

Thanks for your input, guys.

14. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

probably???

15. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

well I knew for example there was a zune app store. What I didn't know was that it had 9 apps...

16. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I read (on the internet, so it must be true) that Androids are being bought/sold in third world countries and used as handheld game devices (and not phones). One would hope that Androids can play a MP3.

17. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I have a used iPod that has been Touched inappropriately.

18. Dei

Dei Member

PSP Go?

19. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Was that a Rated M for Mature game you were playing?

:D

20. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

what programs do you want it to run? I mean leave that crap for your phone. If you want something for media (you said you want a PMP) then look for screen quality. Sony wins.