1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Unexpected places where you hear mentions of the Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Parlett316, Nov 1, 2009.

1. dragonwill

dragonwill Member

I am sure they were watching the Lakers game because I watched this movie many times.

2. smasstastic

smasstastic Member

I go to school in North Carolina.

So my physics professor, who has mentioned nothing of basketball ever before suddenly explains during the lecture why Dikembe Mutombo, who he explained was the Rockets center, has a deep voice compared to a smaller guy.

3. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

I was going to say this, I laughed when I heard that.

Also in the Avril Lavigne music video: "Skater Boy" almost in the end a guy appears in a Steve Francis jersey (pijamas uniform)

4. dero72

dero72 Member

Episode of the TV show Martin...on an episode dealing with basketball, Martin ranks on Tommy (the bald guy) and calls him, 'Hakeem Olaju-dome'.
    In another episode (also relating to b-ball), he called Pam, 'Pam Cassell'.

5. jsmee2000

jsmee2000 Contributing Member

I thought he said a throwback Houston Rockets jersey

6. Parlett316

Parlett316 Contributing Member

What track? Another Jay Z line is, "I'm a franchise like a Houston Rocket" and "Makin moves like Olajuwon"

You could go all day with rap lyrics though.

7. Serg300

Serg300 Member

During the winning streak the Priest mentioned the Rockets and how they worked hard together to achieve such a goal. Then he finished with go Rockets. My wife turned to me and I just ;)

8. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Not exactly unusual to hear the Rockets in a rap song. Anyways, I remember watching SNL and hearing them mention the Houston Rockets. I think it was a Weekend Update sketch.

9. charlieaustin

charlieaustin Contributing Member

I remember this one. He said something like "You a Rockets man too?". I think was the year after played Boston in the finals. It's funny how winning gets people on the bandwagon.

10. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

The Rap Group Company Flow has a bad ass song called 8 Steps to Perfection. The group is all big Knick fans and the album was released in 1997, not too far after the Rockets beat them for the title.

During one of the verses, El-P raps:
    "El-p the third gunner on the grassy knoll
    Stroll, keep the seventh seal of heaven in my pocket
    You're f****t like sprockets, motherf*** the houston rockets"

He was asked about it in an interview:

Yeah. Did you hate the Houston Rockets that much? (Line from 8 Steps To Perfection: "…and motherf*** the Houston Rockets…")

Answer: At the time I did. [laughs] At the time I was very upset. I think I was more upset at the Knicks, more pissed at the Knicks.

Anyway, it's also one of the best rap songs ever made, so maybe we should feel honored. :D

The lyric is around 2:50.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NG5TN8t6AQ4&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NG5TN8t6AQ4&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

11. rhino17

rhino17 Member

In the show PRISON BREAK

In season 3 the main character gets locked up in a Panamanian prison. The first buddy he meets is wearing a McGrady jersey. He was referred to as "McGrady" for the rest of the show. He also talked about the Rockets a good amount, especially t-mac.

12. TraJ

TraJ Member

The National Anthem.

13. buzz1701

buzz1701 Contributing Member

In the movie "ED TV" Matthew McConaughey mentions that he's going to his brothers house to watch "Rocketball" and he mentions the Rockets and that he's from East Texas.

There's a nother movie I can't remember the name, but the dudes are divorced and are taking their kids to McDonalds. The one guy is reading the sports section of the USAToday and the headlines are Rockets win NBA title.

14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Phil Ivey has worn SF3's jersey to poker events.

15. AggieDentist

AggieDentist Member

I know which line you two are talking about because I almost started freaking out when I heard it.

The line from the song "On to the Next One" SOUNDS like:

"Houston Rocket throwback, ballin' on the corner"

but is actually:

"Used to rock a throwback, ballin' on the corner"