1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What is the biggest suprise of the first week?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sweet Lou 4 2, Nov 3, 2009.

?

What is the biggest surprise in the first week?

1. Rockets 3-1 with wins over Portland and blowing out Utah

134 vote(s)
    46.4%
  2. The offensive prowlness of Chuck Hayes

35 vote(s)
    12.1%
  3. 21 year old Chase Budinger

17 vote(s)
    5.9%
  4. Aaron Brooks averaging 8+ assists

48 vote(s)
    16.6%
  5. Rockets high-speed free-wheeling offense

15 vote(s)
    5.2%
  6. Trevor Ariza 20+ points per game?

40 vote(s)
    13.8%
  1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

One week of basketball and the Rockets are 3-1. Despite predicting 50 wins, I must admit, I didn't think we'd start of with 3 wins in the first week when 3 of the games were playoff teams last year.

This week has been full of wonderful positive surprises, and I thought I'd pose the question - which one is the biggest?

Is it our record - with victories over Portland and Utah (on the road)? Is it the play of Trevor Ariza - averaging around 20 points a game? Is it Aaron Brooks with all those assists? Is it Chase Buddinger?

Or is it that the Rockets are actually playing a free-wheeling high speed attack?

What about Chucky Hayes?

2. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I'd say everything is a collective surprise, culminating in our current 3-1 record.

3. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

I voted the offensive production so far...

I expected it to improve as the season wore on, I didn't expect it to look as well as it does already.

4. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i think we were all expecting inflated numbers from the players, but the surprise is that they are winning.

5. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Aaron Brooks' playmaking ability.

I will not be surprised at all if he can keep a consistent 5 assist per game for this season from the way he is playing, his court vision has impressed me a lot over these past 4 games.

6. AXG

AXG Member

I'd say Chuck's offensive game has surprised me the most. He's been making some impressive moves like the spin and hook shot over Carlos Loozer.

7. Franchise2001

Franchise2001 Contributing Member

I'm going to have to say our chemistry on both sides of the floor this early in the year is the biggest surprise.

We have 2 new starters in Hayes and Ariza and a new rotation player in Budinger. Honestly, there was a good chance we start this year 0-4 if these guys are not up to speed with their roles.

This is an INTELLIGENT team with a mix of heart, athleticism and individual talents that Adelman can work with. They have a group of winners that didn't get rattled by the piss poor refereeing.

Surprises for specific players:

Ariza - While nobody expects him to be a "go-to" guy, he has the green light to attack. He is nowhere near the black hole that Artest was and he is truly a team player (not accusing Artest of not being a team player... he's just a bonehead on the offensive end). His outside shot is so sweet.

Hayes - His touch around the basket is great and he has the intelligence to be in the spot to score. Will he be able to stay out of foul trouble and on the floor? So far it appears so.

Budinger - I don't watch much college ball, but damn is this guy smooth. He can provide the instant offense that Von did last year, minus the headcase mentality. Another very intelligent player.

Landry - I think we are going to see a lot more out of him soon. The consensus on the team is that he's the best option on the post (even more so than Scola). We've seen a few flashes of this so far.

Things that I love that don't surprise me:
    Scola: Nasty on the boards and loves to bang.
    Lowry: Nasty defender and loves to create contact going to the hole.
    Brooks: Sick speed that kills defenses. Has improved on keeping his dribble and staying in control while penetrating.
    Battier: Blood down face intensity... enough said.
    [​IMG]

8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Aaron's assist numbers are the biggest surprise for me. Teams go on 3-1 runs all the time even when playing better teams in the regular season. Aaron has only had one 4 game run close to 8 assists/game.

9. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

I would have voted for 2
    * Rockets 3-1 after 4
    * Brooks averaging 8 assist is mind boggling. I'm definitely impressed by his focus on getting others in involved. 8 players in double figures. Get out of here.

10. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Aaron's assist numbers are right where I expect them to be.

People always whined about his assist numbers last year, not understanding the nature of the offense limited his assist potential.

11. redao

redao Member

My surprise: Adelman's extension was declined (or delayed?)

12. lovermanbuda

lovermanbuda Member

I'll have to say everything. I didin't see us comin out 3-1 and it's been a while since we had a pg avg over 8 ast.
    After lookin at last nite stats I was tryin to figure out what's the coaching plan to stop well-balanced team?

13. StevieFlight3

StevieFlight3 Member

Chuck Hayes sweet jump hooks are the biggest surprise.

14. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I'm amazed at how much fun they are to watch.

They are 1000% more fun to watch this season over last, so fast. So much team chemistry, fast breaks, great passing, and FAST FAST FAST!

15. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

I didn't know Brooks could pass the ball.

8+ apg is impressive

16. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

It's not about the assist numbers. It's how fluid he has looked in running the team and making good decisions.

17. AllenLevel

AllenLevel Member

The fact that we finally have a coach that believes in developing a rookie with sick potential like Buddinger, who under many other coaches wouldn't have been able to show all that he can do.

Albeit a rookie, Buddinger plays with the intellegence of a vet and somewhat like Shane, I would be interested to know what the +/- is with him on the floor? Even if he misses a shot or doesn't get the ball, something positive always seems to happen when he's on the floor. If coach continues to develop him, he has the intelegence and the tools to be 'bird-like' with a little more hops and athletism.

18. GoT

GoT Member

You are missing the biggest point

RICK ADELMAN

He is the one making all of these points possible.

19. Pete Chilcutt

Pete Chilcutt Contributing Member

All these are great, but i really am impressed with Chuck Hayes, every time he scores it is such a bonus for the team, and how he has confidence in himself to make shots and create shots is amazing to me.

20. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

AB's playmaking is the most surprising to me. but looking back, it shouldn't be. I think playing with yao limits his creativity and freedom because it locks him into more of a halfcourt style of play. with yao in the game, he doesn't have the freedom to create willy nilly.

hopefully he can use the experience now and figure a way to work it out with yao when yao does return next year.