1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Solution To Big Man Need, Inside Scoop...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jerry Maguire, May 23, 2000.

1. Jerry Maguire

Jerry Maguire Member

Remember how a couple of weeks ago there was some ideas by some of the posters, that are best option would be to look for a disgruntled star who we could put a package together for including the trade exception. Well the perfect situation may be on the horizon. Currently the Rockets are in a quandary regarding the draft (who will be available?) and free agents or trade because of the uncertainties regarding Cato and Cuttino.

There is a disgruntled "superstar" who has just let his intentions be known of wanting to be traded from his current team. This player who we were in pursuit of in the past has become available. A source close to this individual confirmed that he has privately asked to be traded and his identity is no other then, ANTONIO MCDYSSE.

I believe he would solidify our need for front court help and establish this team along with Stevie, Shandon and others as a serious force to be reckoned with in the West. He fits in perfectly with our offense and defense and I believe he would be an effective companion to steve, to say the least.

I heard about this earlier today, so I wanted to get the word out. My question is to the salary cap squad and others, who could we package(including exemption, draft picks and players) to make it attractive and workable, what might McDysses salary, Also if there might be a need to add a third team (ex. Philly: Iverson). I believe this is a realistic scenario as a result of Denver's chemistry, ownership and front office uncertainty and McDysses' fondness for H-Town and the Rox, remember when he scored 40 pts and like 20 rbs this year at the Lap Top. I suggest something like Cato, #9, Orlando/Detroit Pick, Trade Exemption and/or Walt Williams/Carlos Rogers/Bryce Drew. WHATEVER IT TAKES!

Don't you just love the offseason where everybody gets to play GM. Experts let me get your take and I will forward any new information as it develops....

2. rocketsfan34

rocketsfan34 Contributing Member

3. Sky Pilot

Sky Pilot Member

I heard similar rumors about McDyess and the trade rumor I heard was McDyess to Seattle for another unhappy camper in Vin Baker.

------------------

4. Curly

Curly Member

You have got to be kidding?

------------------
    In the end there will be no judges...only witnesses to my greatness.

5. Jerry Maguire

Jerry Maguire Member

I believe this addition could officially complete the Rox rebuilding project and make them serious contenders for the next 3 to 5 years. Imagine Olajuwon tutoring AM for one year, espectally at this stage of his career where AM is still developing.
    Olajuwon
    McDysse
    Mobley
    Anderson
    Francis
    Scary....

------------------

6. RocketSiv

RocketSiv Member

It would let McDyess right a wrong by not coming here in the first place. Anyways I don't know what it would take but I imagine they would definately want Cato. He has a higher ceiling than Keon Clark but haven't they been playing Raef Lafrenx at center. Cato at Center, Lafrenz at power forward. That would be a start but what else would they want?

------------------

7. Jerry Maguire

Jerry Maguire Member

The other factor to be taken into consideration is his willingness to come here (i.e. top priority) and what other teams may be willing to offer including Phoenix, etc..
    How there offer would stack up against ours.
    But I believe its more realistic then waiting for Cato to develope or hoping that Duncan Comes here.

------------------

8. 3pointer

3pointer Member

If this is true I would think the rockets would love to have him but the question is , could we afford to give so many of our players for him and possibly disrupt our chemistry ? who would they want ? I don't think the rox are willing to give up any of our backcourt people and thats where our strengh lies (our best players and more tradable ones except for Cato of course ). After this past yr. I can see where a player such as him would like to be here... people we have something good , real good cooking !!

------------------
    It's all about marketing !

9. davo

davo Contributing Member

Here is my take on the deal Salary Cap wise.

a) I think McDyess was signed by Denver using CAP space and as such is not a Base Year Compensation Player
    b) He earned $9.0mil in 1998/1999 and $9.9mil in 99/00 hence I'm assuming he will earn $10.8 mil this coming year. Not sure when his salary will change as he was signed to the contract in February (after the lockout) but it will do for now
    c) For trade purposes I will use upcoming year salaries
    d) The Nuggets will be over the cap this year and as such we have to match salaries within 15% to affect the trade.

So looking at a trade including Cato, one way to make it work would be
    Cato $5.3M + Drew $1.2M + $4.3 Trade Credit = $10.8
    One way to sweeten it would be to add our 1st round pick, as I don't think the Nuggest have one this year (unless Orlando gives them on that they owe from the Ron Mercer trade)

There is any number of combination of trades that would work, especially with the added flexibility of the trade credit, however using that will require Denver to take on less salary.

Now on to the important stuff - The last thing Denver would want is trade McDyess - he is their franchise. Unless he makes it VERY difficult for them, I don't see it happening. They are not in the hunt for any of the big name Free Agents, and even with a trade with us that would reduce their payroll, they will not be under the cap. I think it would take a miracle for McDyess not to be in Denver next year.

------------------
    http://rocketdavo.tripod.com

10. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

JM -- thanks for the scoop.... I refuse to envision McDyess in the lineup though as it's too painful when you crash back down to earth and realize he's not on the roster already [​IMG]

With that said, I see little way to get this deal done. To me they have a very similar Cato-esque player in Keon Clark. They do have Raef LaFrentz at the PF position but McDyess is their #1 guy. I can't see them dealing Antonio for a package mainly consisting of Cato and the #9.

How ironic McDyess apparently opted against Houston because their backcourt was weak. Now, the backcourt is the biggest reason for optimism and the frontcourt has a hole the size of the Grand Canyon.

------------------
    NOTHING BUT .NET
    CLUTCHCITY.NET

11. MManal

MManal Member

I agree with Clutch and Davo that this has a longshot of happening. Its really going to take a lot of work by McDyess to make the Nuggets deal him. If he does completely force their hand, I think pretty much the best offer the Rockets can put on the table is Kelvin Cato (5.33), Walt Williams (4.85), Carlos Rogers (2.66) and the 9th pick. The Nuggets may have to throw in a small cap balancer and Bryce Drew could be thrown in, but that would be the crux of the Rockets offer.

I doubt this would be enough as other teams would definitely get involved. Phoenix would be interested and could offer Tom Guggliotta and Shawn Marion also I would not put it past Bob Whitsitt to get the Blazers involved if they do not win a championship. They could offer something like Brian Grant and Jermaine O'Neal.

------------------
    Check out the Best Source for Draft Info

Draftsource.net

12. Jerry Maguire

Jerry Maguire Member

I understand that it would be difficult to make this happen and there are other teams that might be interested but it I believe it would be imperative for the Rox to explore this possibility for the sake that their is interest in Antonio's desire to play here. Just on the basis of comparing players that have been discussed like Kandi, Swift, Reeves with it shows how much greater it would be to get McDysse. I agree the chances are not great that it will happen but stranger things have happened i.e. Francis, Pippen, Barkley, Drexler...

------------------

13. davo

davo Contributing Member

I agree 100% Jerry and I'm sure the Rockets WILL do everything they can - hell, they have a history of pulling them, oas you say. The added bonus is Antonio like Houston.

I'm just being pessimistic [​IMG]

------------------
    http://rocketdavo.tripod.com

14. Jerry Maguire

Jerry Maguire Member

Just to make things a little more interesting Antonio will spend the entire summer in Houston and will be participating in local pro-am leagues in the Westside Tennis Club and at Fonde.
    Just something to consider

------------------

15. rocketsfan34

rocketsfan34 Contributing Member

Another question to ponder, "Wouldn't it be cheaper to get an unproven athletic big man like Swift or Moiso instead of a proven one like McDyess?" Although I'd love to get McDyess, I'm worried about the price we'll have to pay.

------------------
    Check out the new and improved
    Draftsource.net

16. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Very interesting.

Dont know if Id pull the trigger to this deal.

I would trade Los, Drew, Cato and KT OR #9 for McDyess and Keon Clark OR La Frenz

no way I give up Cato w/o getting someone back who can play center.

------------------
    Cato is 7 feet tall.

17. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

I wasnt on the net when mcdyess was last a FA, but i did hear he liked houston. Why did he sign with Denver ? I would have preferred him over pippen, and that isn't with hindsight.
    Doesnt he live in houston ?

------------------
    "Don't they get cable in Canada ?" Keith olbermann, after watching hakeem block terry catledge's shot 5 times.

18. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

also, who usually plays in the houston leagues ?

------------------
    "Don't they get cable in Canada ?" Keith olbermann, after watching hakeem block terry catledge's shot 5 times.

19. Dennis2112

Dennis2112 Contributing Member

Quite a few NBA players play down here over the summer. Antonio M. is just one of many.

------------------
    Houston Rockets Forever!!
    In Rudy We Trust

20. davo

davo Contributing Member